PROJECT THREE - MagicMynx's magic chair

I have now negotiated having the plates powder coated for the price of a photo shoot on the chaps baby so that's sorted.

I have managed to snap both the drill bits I need to mount the spider onto the plate so that's the only thing delaying it now.

Need also to cover the trigger mechanism in the thinner adhesive foam I've bought specifically for the task.

The radio transmitter is working but may well be changing the buttons later.

Nat should get the setup about a week before the zoo trip so she should be an expert by the time of the trip.

Well that's my tea break over with. Back to work now!

Like this you mean: :woot:

:D

Good stuff - unfortunately I'm down at the folks for the weekend of 1st August, but I hope you guys (and gals!) all have fun!
Summit like that ;)

I have now negotiated having the plates powder coated for the price of a photo shoot on the chaps baby so that's sorted.

I have managed to snap both the drill bits I need to mount the spider onto the plate so that's the only thing delaying it now.

Need also to cover the trigger mechanism in the thinner adhesive foam I've bought specifically for the task.

The radio transmitter is working but may well be changing the buttons later.

Nat should get the setup about a week before the zoo trip so she should be an expert by the time of the trip.

Well that's my tea break over with. Back to work now!

Thank you so much for everything that you're doing and have done.

Not many sleeps to go now *happydance* but it feels all surreal tbh...

Nat its still so surreal for me, I keep getting all emotional when using my gear, I still keep picking the camera up looking at it then worry I will break it or that its not mine, Its superb I cant wait to meet you and compare our mobile photo studios
(y)

I'm really excited! I'm nervous incase I'm not well at Chester though.

Have to book train tickets soon, never done it online before, so think I'll have to pop into the station cause the online thingy confuses me.

I've been bad all week since my hospital appointment, so haven't used my camera in a few days. Hopefully it'll mean that it'll be easier to use my camera even when I feel this rough. Behind the camera I'm just me, it's like for a split second, I'm not restricted, I'm not living a nightmare.

I'm really excited! I'm nervous incase I'm not well at Chester though.

Have to book train tickets soon, never done it online before, so think I'll have to pop into the station cause the online thingy confuses me.

I've been bad all week since my hospital appointment, so haven't used my camera in a few days. Hopefully it'll mean that it'll be easier to use my camera even when I feel this rough. Behind the camera I'm just me, it's like for a split second, I'm not restricted, I'm not living a nightmare.
:agree:

I've not been here long but I too am disabled, but bed bound not chair bound.
You have to be creative to carry on doing things and you guys sure have given me a few idea's.

What I have done, well my brother did most of it before he died a few months ago, is as follows.

I wanted the laptop next to the bed so I could easily reach it and use it but we could find nothing on the market to do the job.
Some sideways thinking later and a few quid shelled out the problem was solved.
A Citronic DJ stand.

388061.jpg

Bolted to the bedside cabinet, my laptop has been on it for months now.

Then of course we had to hook the laptop up to the TV, so cue one bravia put on the wall, HDMI lead run from the lappy to the bravia via conduit around the skirting boards.

Next problem was DVD's, I managed to pick up a Sony multi player DVP 850 that takes 200 discs, problem solved in hooking it up by running its output to a panasonic HD upscaler box.

A little NAD 715 hi fi sits under the TV with outputs from the TV routed to it, speakers are connected but for late night viewing so I dont annoy the neighbours we connected a sender for wireless speakers to the tape out and put a single speaker set in mono by the bed.
We also ran a network cable round from the TV to the router so the laptop can connect to it via DNLA and display pictures, play movies and MP3's.

Now to the photography, its very much work in progress at present.

I have a table on wheels beside the bed, this has a 30cm light cube on it and two clip on LED lamps from argos.
This gives me a basic macro/ small item studio and though the lights aren't that bright you can manage as long as you use a tripod and electronic release/ self timer.

Tripod wise I came up with the idea of something that clamps to my bed, enter one opticron hide clamp with centre column, fits a treat.

On the other side of the bed I have set aside an area to the left of the TV and want to get some white or cream curtains on a curved track that follows the corner and covers the door way, this will be my portrait backdrop.
Current tripod for this side is a diminutive manfrotto modo, but its only ok with the little canon G11 really, so thinking about and 055xpro when and if funds allow.
I've also been known to turn my bedside table into a tiny studio by drapping toilet roll over the mirror for a backdrop and using the bedside lamp for lighting.

I did some self portraits with the G11, they where done balancing the camera on a toilet roll tube on the bedside table and using an electronic release.

Camera wise, I had the G11 as I sold my old DSLR (Samsung GX10,it was way to heavy for me) but I found excellent as it is, it didn't have enough telephoto reach for me, so I bit the bullet and sold my remote telescope/astro imaging set up and bought a panny G1, so far so good but still limiting.
I have now hit on the idea of trying a 500D leaving it on a tripod all the time and running the live view out to my laptop.
I think this will work well and give me many more options, whilst still having the other two for hand held shots.

So thats the way I am heading at the moment, 500D ( its light and will do what I want, whilst being cheaper than the 550D) + manfrotto tripod with the horizontal arm feature a couple of fast lenses and another cheap spot lamp from argos for directional light (I can sort out the WB issues in software).
I'll try and get some pics sorted when I get a carer in who knows how to press a button lol.

Last edited:
I'll try and get some pics sorted when I get a carer in who knows how to press a button .

Ian - that's an inspirational post

look forward to any images you do post...!

very sorry to hear of the loss of your brother - no words can cover the loss of family

I'll try and get some pics sorted when I get a carer in who knows how to press a button .

Ian - that's an inspirational post

look forward to any images you do post...!

very sorry to hear of the loss of your brother - no words can cover the loss of family

:agree: Very inspirational indeed, I am pleased you are able to over come your disability and do something you like doing. [S1]Well Done Ian(y)[/S1]

Ok I managed to snap off a few and dig out some.

So here's:

One of the self portrait's mentioned.
Click for large size.

Where I live all the time.

photo.jpg

The TV set up

IMG_1445.jpg

Laptop etc

IMG_1446-1.jpg

Macro set up

IMG_1441-1.jpg

Last edited:
Very inspirational story and glad to see that you've overcome so many hurdles. (y) You're right, you do have to be creative to overcome some hurdles and think outside the box, vantage point becomes somewhat of a luxuary in so many ways, so you find other ways of dealing with it....if you can't get down/up/sideways...make your subject do it for you - easy if it's a model, not so easy when it's still life!

Your not kidding there Nattelie!! though I am lucky in that my bed is a full profiling bed so will raise from its standard 20 inches high to approx 4' 6" high and anywhere inbetween, I can also tilt myself by raising the head end.

One item I am thinking of re-purchasing is the Acuter merlin powered tilt and pan head.
I had one before for small telescope astronomy and got rid of it as it wasn't able to be converted to track planets with the level of accuracy I needed at the time, but as a remote controlled pan and tilt head its ideal, you can even program it to shoot panorama's and if you use a Canon EOS it will even fire the shutter for you.
It might be a handy option mounted on one side of my bed with a 400mm - 500mm lens aiming out the window.

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/acuter_spottingscope/acuter_merlin_mount_fs.htm

I was also thinking of trying to design some kind of gimble that could mount to my lifting pole, but if I can get the merlin a gimble wont be needed.
I just wish someone made sets of mounting brackets and poles for beds and chairs (Arthur (Ambermile) if your reading it could be a new line mate) that way we could mount almost anything relatively easily.

Mounting things safely on any disablity equipment is a right farce. It's a huge bugbear of mine. Gaffatape is VERY useful lol

Getting excited now, only a few more sleeps! :D

Nat,

Just sent you a PM :(

Not long to go now....

Just realised we are short of a luggage strap, has anyone got one?

I picked one up from the supermarket (y)

Ok, I got the buckle from something else and was going to pick up the webbing on Friday but that saves me doing that. The metal work is together and it just needs foaming :)

Well it is D day...

Hopefully Nat will like the wheel chair mods. The foam padding that has had to be added because of Nat's disability has made it look a little strange but lets hope she gets as much fun out of it as Julian has.

I will post some shots and a report later :)

We'll look forward to seeing them!

Once again you lot on TP astound with your generosity, both with money, equipment and time.

Well done to everyone.

Janet

very sorry I couldn't make it after all

have fun Nattelie...................(y)

Thank you all so much for all of your donations, help and support, especially Darren.

The set up is fantastic and yesterday I got so many more shots than I could have possibly got without using the chair-pod. It's going to help me so much. Thank you.

There's some pics in the Chester Zoo Meet Pics thread (y)

Back