Pros don't use primes

Can I have a amateur 800mm lens please that will take "good" sports or bird shots ....... or even a nice 400mm f2.8 that will do the trick

My bird shots were really "distant" with my 50mm f1.8 and the images were really crap, even my mother didn't like them ....... some were difficult to identify .... then I bought a 300mm lens and they came nearer and I discovered the bird on the chimney over there wasn't a weather vain ......... they came nearer still when I added a TC20Elll ..................my "crap" bird shots with the 50mm f1.8 ....... suddenly became better ........... I didn't really change

Last edited:
Pro gear is cheaper now than at any other time I can recall in the last 2 decades.

Bodies are always "loss leaders" ....... the prices of pro long Nikon and Canon lenses have increased substantially over the past few years

Even the new Nikon 300mm f4 lens is 70% more expensive than the lens it will repace

Last edited:
Can I have a amateur 800mm lens please that will take "good" sports or bird shots ....... or even a nice 400mm f2.8 that will do them trick

My bird shots were really "distant" with my 50mm f1.8 and the images were really crap, even my mother didn't like them ....... some were difficult to identify .... then I bought a 300mm lens and they came nearer and I discovered the bird on the chimney over there wasn't a weather vain ......... they came nearer still when I added a TC20Elll ..................my "crap" bird shots with the 50mm f1.8 ....... suddenly became better ........... I didn't really change

Dunno why everyone's getting their knickers in a twist here.... you use the correct tools for the job. Obviously if you need a 800mm lens to shoot something far away, then that's what you buy.

However... pointing out that it will do precisely sod all for their photography is not mocking them Simon.. it's helping them.

....You might have good intentions in "helping" amateurs in this way but to claim that camera gear primarily designed for and bought by professionals cannot possibly improve amateurs' photography simply isn't true. I am one of many living examples : My Canon 7D Mark II has already improved my photography as did my 70D over a 100D and if I bought a 1DX it would enable me even further. My Canon 100-400mm L II enables me to reach my potential more easily than either my Canon 400mm or 300mm L primes (now sold to help fund the new zoom).

As I said before (which some here choose to ignore) such 'professional' camera gear does not guarantee better results but it offers more opportunity to grow into higher standards (whilst making some binnable efforts on the way of course!).

Pro gear is cheaper now than at any other time I can recall in the last 2 decades.
No David, consumer/prosumer gear aimed at the masses is cheaper, and thats because they want you to buy cheap to hook you in then hope you get gear snobbery and GAS (as many do) and upgrade to the expensive stuff while all the time you're still taking s*** photos (not you personally)

Bodies are always "loss leaders" ....... the prices of pro long Nikon and Canon lenses have increased substantially over the past few years

I disagree. Factor in inflation and pro gear is cheaper now than it's ever been.

....You might have good intentions in "helping" amateurs in this way but to claim that camera gear primarily designed for and bought by professionals cannot possibly improve amateurs' photography simply isn't true. I am one of many living examples : My Canon 7D Mark II has already improved my photography as did my 70D over a 100D and if I bought a 1DX it would enable me even further. My Canon 100-400mm L II enables me to reach my potential more easily than either my Canon 400mm or 300mm L primes (now sold to help fund the new zoom).

As I said before (which some here choose to ignore) such 'professional' camera gear does not guarantee better results but it offers more opportunity to grow into higher standards (whilst making some binnable efforts on the way of course!).

How exactly has it improved your photography?

No David, consumer/prosumer gear aimed at the masses is cheaper, and thats because they want you to buy cheap to hook you in then hope you get gear snobbery and GAS (as many do) and upgrade to the expensive stuff while all the time you're still taking s*** photos (not you personally)

Going back through my receipts, and factoring in inflation, pro gear is way cheaper than it was 10 or 15 years ago.

Dunno why everyone's getting their knickers in a twist here.... you use the correct tools for the job. Obviously if you need a 800mm lens to shoot something far away, then that's what you buy.

As I have often said David, as far as I am concerned expensive equipment has made my images better, in that I cannot take some of them without this equipment.

I am probably the same photographer ........ but this equipment has made my images "better" ...... because of the subjects that I am interested in

Equipment does matter (to me)

Last edited:
I do... but you have to be able to do that and still turn an acceptable profit, and shifting larger volumes of anything, regardless of what it is, allows you to do that.

....Sorry but you are sounding a bit naive. What is "an acceptable profit" is in the vast majority of cases the maximum profit.

The selling of larger volumes of product does, as you rightly say, "allow" retail prices to be dropped but who does that? It's competition which usually influences prices.

As I have often said David, as far as I am concerned expensive equipment has made my images better, in that I cannot take some of them without this equipment.

I am probably the same photographer ........ but this equipment has made my images "better" ...... because of the subjects that I am interested in

Equipment does matter (to me)

Exactly.... without a 800mm lens you CAN'T take the images you do... so you're a poor example here. The type of photography you do is equipment dependent... not skill dependent.

....Sorry but you are sounding a bit naive. What is "an acceptable profit" is in the vast majority of cases the maximum profit.

The selling of larger volumes of product does, as you rightly say, "allow" retail prices to be dropped but who does that? It's competition which usually influences prices.

Argue all you like... it IS cheaper.. just been going through receipts and once you factor in inflation, the (equivalent) gear I bought over a decade ago is between 15 and 20% cheaper now.

Exactly.... without a 800mm lens you CAN'T take the images you do... so you're a poor example here. The type of photography you do is equipment dependent... not skill dependent.

it's not easy to use a 600mm prime even if you are reasonable skilful, you need a certain level of skill, an 800mm is even more difficult ..............I think that bird photography is certainly skill dependant .......... as much as any other subject

levels of skill do vary ....... I'm not saying I'm skilful just that my bird images are better

don't wish to argue as you seem to be supporting a number of "fronts"

No inflation over the last few years - the 400mm f2.8 has rocketed in price -------- overtime Nikon and Canon replace a (long) prime the push the price up significantly

Last edited:

I can, I can use one of those "bridge" cameras ... I've tried ..... the images are "sh1t" compared with say my 300mm f2.8 VR +TC's

I can, I can use one of those "bridge" cameras ... I've tried ..... the images are "sh1t" compared with say my 300mm f2.8 VR +TC's

Exactly.... that's because that type of photography is gear dependent, not skill dependent.

Argue all you like... it IS cheaper.. just been going through receipts and once you factor in inflation, the (equivalent) gear I bought over a decade ago is between 15 and 20% cheaper now.
I bought my frst D3S brand new in 2010 for about £2800 if i remember correctly, i bought it along with a Nikon 400mm f/2.8 for £4,600

Today the equivilant gear, a D4S costs £,4500 and the 400mm f/2.8 £10,400

Hardly in line with inflation

The camera has risen over 55% and the lens about the same while inflation has gone up no more than 5-10% in the same period

How exactly has it improved your photography?

....Moving from Canon 100D to 70D to 7D Mark II has improved my photography as follows (not in any order of importance) :

- My bird in-flight images are better exposed, often sharper, and I have increased my hit rate due to more sophisticated autofocus/tracking options. My skills at capturing such images have been improved.

- I now have more options such as not having to be so concerned about weather conditions (other than the quality of light of course).

- The combination of a more sophisticated camera body and more advanced latest-state-of-the-art lenses offer me the opportunities to try to improve my skills.

- Now having camera body customisable options again offers me more opportunity to improve my skills.

- Canon L lenses perform better than Canon 'ordinary' lenses.

better gear can allow you to take better photos but it doesnt make you a better photographer

Case in point, i first started shooting pro sports with a D300 and Sigma 70-200mm, some great images in good light, however my frst time under floodlights and maxing out the ISO and even under exposing meant a shutter speed of around 1/100th sec resulting in grainy mush, an upgrade to a D3S and 400mm f/2.8 meant better photos but not a better photographer, that came with time and experience, some say it never came LOL

Last edited:
I bought my frst D3S brand new in 2010 for about £2800 if i remember correctly, i bought it along with a Nikon 400mm f/2.8 for £4,600

The camera has risen over 55% and the lens about the same while inflation has gone up no more than 5-10% in the same period

I paid £1275 for Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 in 2009. That's equivalent to £1590 today. Today's retail price for that lens is around 1200.

in 2009 the D700 was a little over £2000 retail. That's £2478 today.... a D810 is around £2200.

A Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 was the same price in pounds in 2009 as it is now. So in 2009 it was the equivalent of £1735

All the gear I'M buying is cheaper (shrug).

- My bird in-flight images are better exposed, often sharper, and I have increased my hit rate due to more sophisticated autofocus/tracking options. My skills at capturing such images have been improved.

OK.. birds... yes. That requires little skill from the photographer though. The camera is definitely helping you here, but that's always something that's gear dependent, and nothing to do with you. You're not a better photographer.

- The combination of a more sophisticated camera body and more advanced latest-state-of-the-art lenses offer me the opportunities to try to improve my skills.

How do they offer you opportunities?

- Now having camera body customisable options again offers me more opportunity to improve my skills.

No.. it makes it easier for you... not improve your skills.

- Canon L lenses perform better than Canon 'ordinary' lenses.

Neither here nor there... How good a photo is is not really measured by being marginally sharper or not.. unless we're talking camera club competitions here.

Non of this is making you a better photographer. Your gear is allowing technically better images, sure, but do anything that requires creativity, and you'll find it avails you nothing. With bird images.. it's all about the gear. Anyone with the right gear can get impressive looking images as the camera is doing everything for you.

Most kit is more expensive at launch to account for limited supply/initial demand. 'Twas ever thus.

Those weren't launch prices.. that gear had been out a couple of years by then.

I paid £1275 for Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 in 2009. That's equivalent to £1590 today. Today's retail price for that lens is around 1200.

in 2009 the D700 was a little over £2000 retail. That's £2478 today.... a D810 is around £2200.

A Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 was the same price in pounds in 2009 as it is now. So in 2009 it was the equivalent of £1735

All the gear I'M buying is cheaper (shrug).
David, stick the D700 figure of £2000 into the inflation calculator here http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...tion-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html select the year, 2009 and it gives you the value in todays terms, it comes out at £2.383 which makes the D810 cheaper by about £100 compared to 6 years ago taking inflation into account

Your figure for the 14-24mm is also about £200 out as well

Its not inflation which is making things more expensive, its manufacturers greed

Last edited:

Depends how far back you go, I brought a a Nikon F4s for about 2.5k in the mid 80s.

Isn't it also due to the currency weakening?

The only way to compare them is in the Yen prices ...... but all these multinationals mess around with transfer pricing etc., especially in the US and Euro markets

Isn't it also due to the currency weakening?
Whose currency and compared to whose, the Pound has strengthened 12% against the Yen in the last year alone and the Yen is on a major slide against the Dollar and the Dollar is on a slide against the Pound

All of which can and does only point to Japanese manufacturers keeping prices high

Last edited:
Whose currency and compared to whose, the Pound has strengthened 12% against the Yen in the last year alone and the Yen is on a major slide against the Dollar and the Dollar is on a slide against the Pound

I suspect that's one of the reasons why these "grey importers" can offer such a good deal - they are obviously buying in local currency and selling in converted £'s at current exchange rates ....... whereas Nikon stick to (old exchange rate) fixed UK prices, (if you see what I mean) and never drop them even though the £ strengthens

All of which can and does only point to Japanese manufacturers keeping prices high

I meant Sterling against other currencies, my point was if you're comparing prices from something like 5+ years ago you may be doing it when Sterling was at its strongest against other currencies and as it's weakened things have gotten more expensive.

It's not a quick process but saying that I'm not clear on how companies actually figure out their pricing structures around different currencies.

Lenses have definitely got cheaper over the years, even without inflation factored in, I've got a Practical Photography magazine from March 2002 in front of me, I compared the prices at Warehouse Express from 2002 against present WEX, of some Canon lenses that are the same now as then, they are significantly cheaper now.

Last edited:
better gear can allow you to take better photos but it doesnt make you a better photographer

....@Pookeyhead David ^^^^ This is what I have been trying to tell you! :)

....@Pookeyhead David ^^^^ This is what I have been trying to tell you! :)

You could take an image with a disc camera, the 110 would be better quality. The 35mm would visually be of a better quality, 120mm however would eclipse it, you would see another marked improvement using 5x4 but in comparison the 10 x 8 is superior.

Confidence comes from knowing your camera, and it's abilities, fully understanding the ISO, Aperture and speed ratios and knowing when and how to apply this knowledge. You could take a photograph with a 10 x 8 Sinar the quality of the image would be sublime. But if you don't understand the exposure ratio or Scheimpflug principle snd know when to apply it you're going to be screwed.

Owning a professional camera does not or should not make you feel any more confident or a better photographer. Yes it can improve the quality of your output (final) image but that's only a tiny part of the story.

Having that knowledge helps but if you've got a good eye for a subject then great images can be taken on an auto point and shoot. It's not the camera but the photographer who takes it. Ten people could look at an image 5 may like it, the other 5 may hate it !

Last edited:
I suppose where people get their confidence from is a personal thing. But I've happily shot jobs on gear that the equipment forums tell me is completely unsuitable, it's not restricted my ability in any way. in fact the only restriction I personally feel is caused by my lack of talent.

I suppose where people get their confidence from is a personal thing. But I've happily shot jobs on gear that the equipment forums tell me is completely unsuitable, it's not restricted my ability in any way. in fact the only restriction I personally feel is caused by my lack of talent.

same here. Although my lack of talent is less obvious ;)

A long time ago part of my Job was to get gear ready for jobs,let just say their was some less than pro gear i had to give out,as long as i made sure it was working,that's what their had to to do the job with :)

When you turn up at a location, what ever is going on, Carrying a camera or not, they know if you are a Professional in seconds.

1) you can only buy 4 primes for the price of a 24-70 if you're buying cheap primes. Cheap primes are sharp but make worse pictures than expensive primes. The pictures look noticeably different. Especially when you shoot into the sun a lot.
2) I don't care what people think of how big my camera is
3) That said, my 200mm f2 prime does tend to draw attention
4) who'd want to use a horrible slow aperture like f2.8 unless they really really had to because they needed a zoom? ;)
5) if you can't change primes within a few seconds then you need more practice
6) I need my zooms to be able to do some of the fast moving or limited kit access jobs that people pay me to shoot
7) I wish I could sell my zooms.

Back