PTGui advantages over using Photomerge in CC

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Are there any advantages gained by using PTGui or other stand alone package for stitching panos over using the standard Photomerge option that's part of CC?

The obvious disadvantage is that PTGui has to be paid for over and above CC.

The obvious disadvantage is that PTGui has to be paid for over and above CC.

It does a darn good job in my book, it is my pick software for panos.

And it has the advantage that it keeps me adobe free plus I had to
pay for it only once! :cool:

Last edited:
Last edited:
I use ICE, it's a Windows pano program and free to download. Does a fair job if I do say so.

I tend to use lightroom and photo merge for most pano's, but I have found that when things got more complicated it would not do the job.

Microsoft ICE was better but I still had cases where that wouldn't stitch.

I tend to use ptgui for night sky panorama's, Milky Way arch over landscape sort of thing. I find photomerge and ICE struggle with this type of image and can't always align the stars well.

I tend to use lightroom and photo merge for most pano's, but I have found that when things got more complicated it would not do the job.

Microsoft ICE was better but I still had cases where that wouldn't stitch.

I tend to use ptgui for night sky panorama's, Milky Way arch over landscape sort of thing. I find photomerge and ICE struggle with this type of image and can't always align the stars well.

Thanks Alan, really appreciate the reply. Do you know how much space the PTGui programme takes up?

The PTGui folder in program files on my hard drive is 25mb, the downloaded installation file is 19Mb (probably slightly compressed), so not very much in the scheme of todays profligate microsoft file sizes:)

Thanks Alan.

There is Hugin which is free and open source.

Depending on input files one or the other app may perform better. Don't overcomplicate things with UWA and have plenty of overlap and most will be perfect.

Back