Puffins: Lundy vs Skomer island and best time to visit?

Are there as many birds on Skokholm?

One of the best things about Skokholm is that you are less confined to marked paths. You still have to be careful where you tread but there is more of a sense of freedom.

I honestly don't know about actual numbers but there certainly didn't seem to be any shortage.

In my experience, there isn't anywhere on Skokholm quite as 'easy' as the Wick. The largest colony is south facing and between steep sides so it's not so good for golden hour light. There are plenty of puffins elsewhere on the island but they're not necessarily as close or quite so habituated to loitering people. That's not to say there aren't good puffin opportunities, you might just have to work a bit harder.

What about the 50 people behind you!

It was just the two of us :D

Is the light better in the evenings? Can be a bit harsh and in the wrong direction during the day.

The Wick at dusk is special :)

wick_dusk.jpg

ack, there is so much to think of! i need to draw up a list of the pros and cons of where to go and costs etc. the possibility of the boat crossing being cancelled is a real issue, i wont have the flexibility to stay extra days if its cancelled :-/

there are other options around the country to see them but Skomer seems to be the best in terms of how many there are and how easy it is to get photos of them.

love that dusk one.

Last edited:
In my experience, there isn't anywhere on Skokholm quite as 'easy' as the Wick. The largest colony is south facing and between steep sides so it's not so good for golden hour light. There are plenty of puffins elsewhere on the island but they're not necessarily as close or quite so habituated to loitering people. That's not to say there aren't good puffin opportunities, you might just have to work a bit harder.

No harm in having to work slightly harder for your pictures!

But if this floats your boat.......

IMG_2419.jpg

Tripod and long zoom seem a bit over the top on a narrow path, at least for peak time.

No harm in having to work slightly harder for your pictures!
Absolutely. However I think it pays to have the right expectations if you're planning to visit.

When I was at the Wick many of my shots were at 10mm, no gimbal head required ;)

I went to Lundy in search of Puffins, there were only a few and about 100 meters away unless you took your life in your hands. But I fell in love with the Island, it's an amazing place and I've been back a few times. It's about a 2 hour boat ride which can be a bit rough if the winds in the wrong direction.
If you're into Astrophotography then it's ideal there's less light polution than even the most remote parts of Dartmoor.
I go to Skomer every year and spend half the day on Puffins then stroll across to try and spot the short eared and little Owls which live near the farmhouse.
Either place has plenty for someone with a camera.
As swmbo has decided against coming up to Skomer I'm hoping to combine this years trip with a visit to Gigrin Farm and the Osprey Project.
I've just seen a report that a few Puffins have already arrived on Lundy and there are 80 plus just offshore

Last edited:
I went to Lundy in search of Puffins, there were only a few and about 100 meters away unless you took your life in your hands. But I fell in love with the Island, it's an amazing place and I've been back a few times. It's about a 2 hour boat ride which can be a bit rough if the winds in the wrong direction.
If you're into Astrophotography then it's ideal there's less light polution than even the most remote parts of Dartmoor.
I go to Skomer every year and spend half the day on Puffins then stroll across to try and spot the short eared and little Owls which live near the farmhouse.
Either place has plenty for someone with a camera.
As swmbo has decided against coming up to Skomer I'm hoping to combine this years trip with a visit to Gigrin Farm and the Osprey Project.
I've just seen a report that a few Puffins have already arrived on Lundy and there are 80 plus just offshore

Do you just go for the day or overnight to Skomer?

as i wont be going this year (hopefully next) I have made my contribution to the welsh wildlife trust by buying from their gift shop (puffin oven gloves! my current ones are about 10 years old and i almost burnt my hand the other day so a good excuse to go for puffins :) )

really need to make a decision for 2019 on where to go for puffins and start planning the long trek from essex

Is it possible to shoot the milky way on skomer during puffin season?

Do you just go for the day or overnight to Skomer?
I go over for the day and camp at West Hook Farm ,http://www.westhookfarm-camping.co.uk/ so I camp stroll down to make sure I get tickets for the boat.
The first year I went up we stayed at the Foxdale guest house, it's about 1.5 miles down the lane but was very nice and I can recommend it.
You should be able to shoot the Milky way, but take care in the dark anywhere off of the pathways is like swiss cheese on Skomer due to the burrows

Last edited:
Back