Put Prices Up Please

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
So we can have goods back to a decent size.
Everything is so bloody small these days, just had a Twix and it was miniscule.
Nine pack of Andrex bog rolls are getting smaller by the week.
Ok the price hasn't gone up, but getting to the point where you need to buy twice the amount.
Keep thinking I'm Gulliver in some sort of Lilliputian consumer nightmare

Last edited:
Ok the price hasn't gone up, but getting to the point where you need to buy twice the amount.

I agree totally. Mars bars seem about half the size they should be.

I am so irritated by the content of bags of sweets and crisps - if you check them, you find that there is more air than contents in the bags, they clearly puff them up to make consumers think they are getting more than in fact they are; we noticed that this is much less the case when we went to a French supermarket a few years back, I don't know if that is generally the case in there countries but it seems a peculiarly British thing, for manufacturers to mislead the consumer.

I was reading a couple of days ago how suppliers of daffodils are struggling to meet the £1 cost per bunch the supermarkets charge for them. It seems that the price is fixed at that as the retailers think consumers won’t pay any more than £1. It’s the same with quality street 'tins' at Christmas being set at a fiver.

Agree. Do the supermarkets etc think no one notices or is unable to work out that a smaller item for the same price is a price increase?

Dave

Agree. Do the supermarkets etc think no one notices or is unable to work out that a smaller item for the same price is a price increase?

Dave

I've got a long tube type tin for McVities digestive biscuits, some sort of freebie a few years ago.
The large size packet just about fitted, in fact usually ate the top biscuiit first so they fitted in nicely.
Now the large packet rattles about in the same tin, considerably less length and girth.

Choc Ices are the same, now only get eight in a box rather than ten.
Some blame goes to the consumer for always wanting cheaper, but in the end it actually costs more.
Also a waste of packaging if you have to buy two packs just to get the same quantity as you did before

I am so irritated by the content of bags of sweets and crisps - if you check them, you find that there is more air than contents in the bags, they clearly puff them up to make consumers think they are getting more than in fact they are; we noticed that this is much less the case when we went to a French supermarket a few years back, I don't know if that is generally the case in there countries but it seems a peculiarly British thing, for manufacturers to mislead the consumer.
]Is the crisp thing to help stop them getting crushed in transit?

Reactions: Nod
One thing that was noticeable this Christmas was that they had gone back to decent tins of Quality Street and similar products. Over the past few years it has been a plastic box with sloping sides and a big indent in the bottom - both ways of making it look big but having a smaller internal volume.

They have effectively put prices up though, because you pay more and get less and this is something that I really don't understand about the inflation figures, we are told that inflation is around 1% or 2% but so many products get smaller but the price stays the same or goes up and they get smaller by much more than 2% per year.

]Is the crisp thing to help stop them getting crushed in transit?

Yup, same with loose sweets like Haribos - let them get compressed and you end up with one massive multicoloured blob.

One thing that was noticeable this Christmas was that they had gone back to decent tins of Quality Street and similar products. Over the past few years it has been a plastic box with sloping sides and a big indent in the bottom - both ways of making it look big but having a smaller internal volume.

They have effectively put prices up though, because you pay more and get less and this is something that I really don't understand about the inflation figures, we are told that inflation is around 1% or 2% but so many products get smaller but the price stays the same or goes up and they get smaller by much more than 2% per year.

The sloping sides is to allow the tubs to be stacked, saving space on the lorries, meaning fewer lorries/less empty space being transported round the world.

Years ago things used to go up 1p, 2p etc but these days it can be 10 or 20p.

I may be wrong but a part of the decrease in size of edible stuff might be down to pressure from the Health Nazis. Eating is after all very bad for you so they pressure the manufacturers to reduce portion sizes.

Oh, and while I'm off on one... Can we stop the move to everything being zero calories and zero fat? The stuff has no taste. It's becoming difficult to buy stuff that tastes of anything.

The sloping sides is to allow the tubs to be stacked, saving space on the lorries, meaning fewer lorries/less empty space being transported round the world.
The tins also stack very nicely I noticed ;)

Only when full.

before lockdown i was in hotels pretty much solid for 2 years on a very long contract and every day a bog role in the bag along with the soap and the free bottles of shampoo and condit for the wife.
at one time in the spare room i reckon there was 200 bog roles under the bed, even after a year of very few hotel visits there must be 70 left.

before lockdown i was in hotels pretty much solid for 2 years on a very long contract and every day a bog role in the bag along with the soap and the free bottles of shampoo and condit for the wife.
at one time in the spare room i reckon there was 200 bog roles under the bed, even after a year of very few hotel visits there must be 70 left.
Could have made hundreds when people were panic buying bog roles :D

You miss the point, the chocolate companies have made the bars smaller so they can say they have done their bit to help obesity/health issues.

Toilet rolls have got less sheets in them as we "want" "fluffy" toilet rolls.

Chrisp packets are full of air as it helps keeps the crisps fresher.

I could go on, with all the companies' reasoning, but as we all know it is really all about profit.

Chrisp packets are full of air as it helps keeps the crisps fresher.

The bags are filled with Nitrogen to slow deterioration. As said above, they're filled to "puffiness" to protect the contents during transit and shelf time.

Back