weekly Pyro's photo52 2012 'Money' added

Name
Harry
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I would get my thread up and running for the photo 52 challenge.

I'm pretty new to photography but am really looking forward to the challenge, so bring on 2012!

Hoping to shoot my 'direction' photo tomorrow and upload it then too.

Week 1 : Direction http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4282445&postcount=4
Week 2 : Fear http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4319731&postcount=39
Week 3 : Sigh http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4349201&postcount=47
Week 4 : Sweet http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4367359&postcount=61
Week 5 : Secure http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4390867&postcount=67
Week 6 : Industry http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4417167&postcount=76
Week 7 : Root http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4421341&postcount=83
Week 8 : Handmade http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4449075&postcount=108
Week 9 : Money http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4465740&postcount=116
Week 10 :
Week 11 :
Week 12 :
Week 13 :
Week 14 :
Week 15 :
Week 16 :
Week 17 :
Week18 :
Week 19 :
Week 20 :
Week 21 :
Week 22 :
Week 23 :
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 :
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Last edited:
(y) I'll look out for your 1st Harry.

This is my first photo for my Photo52 challenge.
I had a specific place in mind for this shot, a local woodland, as it is a place I know very well and its not too far away.

In the end, out of the shots I took, I narrowed it down to two photo's. Then with the help of friend we decided on a favourite between the two and this was the winner. (The other possible for those interested is the other photo on my flickr)

the thought behind it is that I know the place really well, but it is often empty in the woods due to people not knowing their way around to well. But very recently they added a walking route around the woods and people have started using it. Although no one seems to leave the track and explore the more interesting parts to the woodland. they all follow the directions like sheep. So that is the reason behind the photo. :) Hope you like it.

6594105811_b9829d57e1.jpg
[/url]

Hope I embeded it right, i'm new to thewhole thing!:)

Any critique welcome.

Last edited:
Ok, that clearly hasn't worked, please can someone help?

:/

Hmmmm, it works as a link, and i did have an extra http but even without that it is still not showing up.

the first of many hurdles to come!:p

yes, a bit odd. I just tried creating a post with a link to you picture in it and it didn't work :thinking:

The way I do it is go to flickr, select the picture then use the share->Grab the HTML/BBCode
select the BBCode button and size you want (medium or large) then just cut and paste the code into a TP post.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: I've just had a quick play, for some reason I don't understand just taking a link to a flickr picture and using the insert image button doesn't work. So I think you have to use the share->grab BBCode way. I think is because the link you get from flickr is not actually to a jpg image, it is to a flickr page.

To get a simple link to the jpg you have to select the relevant size (eg medium) in flickr, then right click the image and "copy image URL". Then use that URL with the insert image button on this forum.

Toby

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. It worked:)

And settings used were
Iso:200. Shutter: 1/25 AP: think it was 4.2 but could have been 3.5

f/5.6 according to the exif info ;)

Nice, I like the contradiction between the sign and the persons movement. I also like the use of the shallow DoF and motion blur in the person. Perhaps though it would be nice if the white stripe in the background could be toned down a bit?

Toby

Thanks for that, I don't have an exif reader:p

Thanks for the feedback. For the time being I can't do any post production as my computer is completely messed and has no space but I'm going to get a external hard drive, when I do I will try toning the line down:)

I really like the way the sign points one way and is contradicted by the woman walking in the opposite direction.

Thanks for that, I don't have an exif reader:p

yes you do ;)

if you look in flickr is says "This photo was taken 6 hours ago using a Nikon D3100" to the right of the picture. Click on the "Nikon D3100" and it will show you lots of interesting info (y)

Or if you want to read it on your pc I recommend googling opanda exif, a free exif viewer.

Ooo, thanks, I didn't know that. I only got my flickr yesterday for this project so I don't really know what I'm doing with it!:p

Congrats on your first shot - feels good to be up and running doesn't it?

Like the dof and the fact that there seems to be a pigs face on the bag!

Good luck for week 2 - G. :clap:

Clever shot, and a good start.

It does feel good to be up and running:)
I didn't notice that it looked like a face but now I can't stop seeing it!:p

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Hello again,
here is my photo for Fear!

6666493361_14f49f4eb7.jpg
[/url]

It originally wasn't what I was going to try and shoot but I like how it turned out with the shadow on the grave stone. My original thought was try try and get a photo with lots of different fears in it, so that most people would find 'their' fear although while walking through the graveyard at the end of my road I noticed that it was a common cut through in the day but when its dark, people walk around it. As graveyards are considered spooky places I thought it would be a good place to get my fear shot, and to try photography at night for the first time.

The other reason why this is my fear photo is because I often get scared if it is quiet and dark, especially if I am on my own. Which made this shoot more exciting... although I did have a helper with me though so I cannot claim totally alone:p The shaddow of the hand was added to try and suggest that there is mabye more to the graveyard that meets the eye.

It was my first time shooting at night and discovered how important tripods are... although this was discovered through my lack of one:p I still have no post production available to me but that should be possible within the next few weeks.

Any feedback is very much appreciated, i'm quite happy with my shot, although different to my initial ideas, and really enjoyed going to get this shot. Night time is a fun time!

Hope you like it.

Well done for conquering your fear and for representing it in the way you have.
I think it needs a slight horizontal straighten but love the way you tried night photography, I did it for the first time this week and loved it.

Direction - I like your use of a slow shutter speed to get motion and am amused by the fact the sign points one way and the person is walking in the opposite direction.

Fear - Slightly bright IMO for this subject but I do like the addition of the shadow of the hand.

Harry

I like your takes on the themes the opposite direction thing in one really works and the spooky shadow in FEAR is a nice touch.

You mention you have no access to P&P, there is Picasa which Google do and it is free and offers a bit more than the basics also if you want to try it GIMP is also worth a go as an alternative to PS/Elements.

Hi Harry just stumbled across your 52.

Direction - I like this shot, when I first saw it I thought I could see a pig from angry birds in the bag so was glad to see the other comment, atleast I'm not the only mad one here :)

Really like the way the person is walking in the wrong direction also.

Fear - Like the concept, I am surprised that there hasnt been more grave yard shots this week so far. Think the colour isnt helping and would like to see a black & white version. Also agree with the straighten comment.

As Martin has said above look into Picasa, GIMP, personally I use Photoshop Elements and find it very good with plenty of tutorials to be found on the net.

Keep up the good work, I will be following your 52 with interest :)

*EDIT* - I just tried a copy of your grave yard photo with the straighten and B&W, I think it works.

Scary spooky arm and three fingered hand in the bottom left of the shot shouts fear to me :D

Thanks for the feedback!

My lack of pp is not down to software it's down to a dead computer (won't even boot).
I will try the straighten and b&w when I get the computer sorted. If you want I don't mind you showing you b&w edited version if you aloud on the forums.

Delta, I know what you mean by the brightness, although I was trying to capture the eerie way the church was lit. ( was sort of red) I will try and tone it down a little though and see if it works.

Here you go mate, just a quick straighten and conversion.

#EDIT Removed as Harry got access to do his own PP :)

Last edited:
Massive thanks for that, I see what you mean. I will try it when I get the chance and repost.:)

aarrggghhh I don't wanna be mean *sniff* cos we're all learners

but I'd like to see this one with fewer gravestones and the scary shadow more prominent :p

we have a brilliant graveyard near us which is a very old one and has some weird shaped stones, old crosses and stuff. I'd love to see your shot done there.

Harry, just dropped on your 52, week 1 , is a great effort on direction.
The graveyard shot works very well, prefer Roly's quick edit, the shadow on the left hand head stone looks like a bat !!!. Certainly would n't have got me in there.

I think the edit works better too:p

Don't worry about being constructive summer! If I get a chance, I might try and get a shot with fewer stones and try it.:)

Thanks for the feedback.

I really like this one especially the edited version!

I don't think I would want to be walking around the graveyard at night!!

Well done and I look forward to seeing your next 50!!

I got access to some form of pp, some Photoshop iPad thing so I did a b&w conversion and straightened it myself.

6672570259_9aac945310.jpg
[/url]

There's the edit:)

Back