QHD UltraSharp Monitor & Graphics Card

What calibration device are you using, and how much difference does the before/after calibration check reveal?

As far as I know the UP2716D can only be calibrated by use of the X-rite i1 Display Pro and Dell's own software. I think it is something to do with calibrating by way of look-up tables in the monitor rather than calibrating the graphics card.

The monitor arrived calibrated, with a document confirming the details. I've not tried the X-rite yet as the monitor looks just fine.

Chris

As far as I know the UP2716D can only be calibrated by use of the X-rite i1 Display Pro and Dell's own software. I think it is something to do with calibrating by way of look-up tables in the monitor rather than calibrating the graphics card.

The monitor arrived calibrated, with a document confirming the details. I've not tried the X-rite yet as the monitor looks just fine.

Chris
Chris what did that doc look like please?

,As mine is a refub I might not have that ,but may well of overlooked it too. Essentially I am unsure on what documentation one would get . I've never bought a monitor before. My initial impressions are that colour is not far away: posts of images have yeilded no comments on colour casts I can't see so in my eyes the monitor should be good for colour,but I'd still like to be sure via claibration Chris,i've painted wildlife since very tiny as a kid never had much, so had to make do mainly with primary colours and the few needed add ons. Essentially I make colour for that, so really should have a handle on what I see. Once a conversation turns to things like what is being calibrated and how via look up tables ,I'm running into a completely alien language dummer than a dumb thang:D

I know my knowledge of colour spaces could be better. I do see a shift from adobe to sRGB when converting ,don't know whether I should?

Mate I'm still very pleased with this tool it is exactly what I wanted. The viewing surface is a joy can turn it which ever way and it pretty much looks the same detail wicked and colour looks, well right> I suspect strongly it is caibrated OOTB but just would like to KNOW that fact aswell
Cheers for this mate I need to dig a bit on your first sentance,wouldn't have known to otherwise,

nice one(y)
Stu

Hi Stu,

The document is a single sheet of A4 titled Premium Color (yes they spell it Wrong!), UP2716D Color Calibration Factory Report.

There are graphs and charts showing details of sRGB and Adobe calibration. Grey-Scale Tracking and Gamma. Along with tables showing brightness and colour uniformity across the screen.

To be honest, I don't know how a good or bad monitor would appear on these graphs and charts, so I have to trust Dell that it is up to spec. Despite my lack of knowledge I am happy that the monitor is a good one, it is better in every aspect than the older HP monitor.

As for seeing a shift when you switch between adobe and sRGB, I believe that is normal, SRGB has fewer colours in its gamut than Adobe's colour space. I've not yet tried the X-Rite calibrator yet, I'll get around to it eventually.

The one concern regarding calibration is that our eyes get used to an incorrect white balance and then we can think that a correctly calibrated monitor can look wrong.

Colour calibration, a complex subject, but I think I am now looking at accurate colours on the Dell.

Chris

Hey Chris, thanks for the above. essentially I feel exactly the same .Mate I must dash but I'll comeback once I know more about calibration.
Cheers Chris very kind

Stu

Back