Quality non stick frying pan?

woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
A question for the amateur or even pro chefs.

I have a couple of those no fat required ones which were cheap at the supermarket but they only seem to last a while and then the coating goes. Our Meyer 28cm non stick is our general purpose one and was an expensive buy over 20 years or more ago but the coating has gone in the last few days so I want to get something quality that'll last to replace it not just another cheap supermarket one as we seem to only get a few months to a year out of them.

I've no idea if Meyer are a quality brand these days so any recommendations?

Bit of a wannabe chef here myself, I do all the cooking in the house. Not had a proper good frying pan in years [last pricey one I had was a Tefal and had it years before it caved] , and have been thinking on investing in one so I'm interested too ... I have a couple cheapo ones from Tesco and they have been holding up pretty good. I have the large one about 2 year now and it's stayed non stick, I only ever use extra virgin olive oil or decent butter when frying and have had no issues, but I know eventually they will fade.

Not familiar with Meyer cookware, but looking at their pans they honestly look no different than the Tesco brand one I got here, I'm assuming the coatings are of a higher standard?

Last edited:
I think for non stick it’s better to buy the cheapest one and chuck it away when it loses the non stick.

Probably does work out most cost efficient, the large pan i have was only €15, that's at least 1/3rd the price of a good branded one and it's still going good after 2 year

I have two cheap ones from ASDA. One is a make I've had before and even new it annoys me as the base isn't flat so everything migrates to the edges and has to be constantly repositioned. One I keep exclusively for pancakes and the other gets used for Quorn stuff but unfortunately Mrs WW fries eggs in it too which I'm sure is mostly responsible for the degradation.

I have thought about just using the cheap ones as I suppose we could buy quite a few cheap ones for £50 or so... but it's just a waste... so I thought I'd invest in a good one. I mention £50 as I think that or there abouts is what the good one cost all those years ago but I have no idea if Meyer is a good make these days, they probably all come from the same mega factory out east.

It would be nice to own something quality... so much stuff today is just tat that only lasts a bit and then has to be thrown out.

Last edited:
We have 3 expensive non-stick pans: le creuset, Tefal circulon and a recently bought Lakeland. The le creuset non-stick is poor, doesn't work well, is easily damaged and the pan has belled. The circulon still works well after many years use, the one weakness is that it doesn't get very hot for frying even on a decent induction hob, and it laughs at ceramic and halogen plates. The Lakeland pan is the best although only a couple of years old, but it has the least sticky surface and gets properly hot while staying flat.

I've had cheap pans and they fail quickly.

Last edited:
Not familiar with Meyer cookware, but looking at their pans they honestly look no different than the Tesco brand one I got here, I'm assuming the coatings are of a higher standard?

Looking at Amazon you get tow pans for £40 so I don't know if there's anything to mark them out as quality products. Way back we bought a set of pans from either House of Fraser or Debenhams, I can't remember which and we still have them all but the prying pan had to be bought separately and was quite pricey. As this was 20 years ago + I don't suppose they're made in the same factory and probably not in the same country these days.

Another fear is that price is no guarantee of quality these days so I thought I'd ask here. If there's no specific quality recommendation I could just stick with the cheap ones and throw them out every now and again but it seems such a waste.

We have 3 expensive non-stick pans: le creuset, Tefal circulon and a recently bought Lakeland. The le creuset non-stick it poor, doesn't work well, is easily damaged and the pan has belled. The circulon still works well after many years use, the one weakness is that it doesn't get very hot for frying even on a decent induction hob, and it laughs at ceramic and halogen plates. The Lakeland pan is the best although only a couple of years old, but it has the least sticky surface and gets properly hot while staying flat.

I've had cheap pans and they fail quickly.

Ah, good point, it'll be used on an induction hob.

The only non-stick pans I have that have lasted (about 60 years so far) are cast iron -- of course there are drawbacks :(.

Cast Iron skillets are probably the best all-rounder option, they're not non-stick though

A question for the amateur or even pro chefs.

I have a couple of those no fat required ones which were cheap at the supermarket but they only seem to last a while and then the coating goes. Our Meyer 28cm non stick is our general purpose one and was an expensive buy over 20 years or more ago but the coating has gone in the last few days so I want to get something quality that'll last to replace it not just another cheap supermarket one as we seem to only get a few months to a year out of them.

I've no idea if Meyer are a quality brand these days so any recommendations?

I have been in catering for over forty years, and used all manner of pans. The big tough heavy duty pans are not always the best.
For home use I use a simple cheap Home Bargains frying pan 24cm - 28cm , usually about 99p - £1.99 and usually last a good few years. Still got our current 99p 24cm pan and still frying eggs nicely, about four years old now.

I have been in catering for over forty years, and used all manner of pans. The big tough heavy duty pans are not always the best.
For home use I use a simple cheap Home Bargains frying pan 24cm - 28cm , usually about 99p - £1.99 and usually last a good few years. Still got our current 99p 24cm pan and still frying eggs nicely, about four years old now.

The old one is big and heavy and has lasted for decades but I do know heft isn't necessarily related to quality and I'd be happy enough to give cheap and cheerful a go if they'll last as chucking these things out just seems such a waste. There's only on set of two 20cm frying pans on the Home Bargains website for £5.98 but it might be worth looking in our local shops. In so many things it seems difficult to buy quality these days or at least that's my impression.

The old one is big and heavy and has lasted for decades but I do know heft isn't necessarily related to quality and I'd be happy enough to give cheap and cheerful a go if they'll last as chucking these things out just seems such a waste. There's only on set of two 20cm frying pans on the Home Bargains website for £5.98 but it might be worth looking in our local shops. In so many things it seems difficult to buy quality these days or at least that's my impression.

Wow that is a big hike from last time I bought one.

Asda do the same sort of cheap and cheerful frying pan, they are about 28cm and are about £1.99 and fry eggs nicely, without sticking.

The problem I've found with cheap frying pans is that the bases tend to bow and they no longer sit properly on the hob, especially ceramic hobs.

Mum is very fussy when it comes to pans and she's just bought THESE and she's very pleased with them so far although she's only had them a month.

Wow that is a big hike from last time I bought one.

Asda do the same sort of cheap and cheerful frying pan, they are about 28cm and are about £1.99 and fry eggs nicely, without sticking.

Yes, I've had three or four from ASDA and it's these that have got me wanting something that'll last as they're frankly poor. They only last a few months to a year and then they're in the bin plus the bases aren't flat so anything you put in them needs to be constantly repositioned as it migrates to the edges. I've no idea if they're meant to be bowed or not.

As I keep saying, it just seems such a waste to buy these and bin them so quickly, granted they're cheap but they're also short lived.

Yes, I've had three or four from ASDA and it's these that have got me wanting something that'll last as they're frankly poor. They only last a few months to a year and then they're in the bin plus the bases aren't flat so anything you put in them needs to be constantly repositioned as it migrates to the edges. I've no idea if they're meant to be bowed or not.

As I keep saying, it just seems such a waste to buy these and bin them so quickly, granted they're cheap but they're also short lived.

Usually too much heat bows the pan, and bottom should be flat. :)

One thing to add is that I bought non stick saucepans for many years and never found any that I was truly happy with. I switched to stainless steel towards the end of last year and could't be happier. The only thing is that the frying pans that are from the same range come with a non stick coating otherwise I would have bought them too.

Usually too much heat bows the pan, and bottom should be flat. :)

I'm talking about the inside of the pan not the base which does seems flat to me, they certainly don't wobble on the hob. I'll take a look at the ones in ASDA as see if they're bowed on the inside from new but I don't think I can blame myself as the pans are never left to overheat and cooking is done at 7 not the max 9, 7 being noticeably less hot than 8 and 9 being very quick to heat things.

One thing to add is that I bought non stick saucepans for many years and never found any that I was truly happy with. I switched to stainless steel towards the end of last year and could't be happier. The only thing is that the frying pans that are from the same range come with a non stick coating otherwise I would have bought them too.

The things most at risk of sticking seem to be pancakes, do you make pancakes and if so do they stick to stainless steel? Mrs WW fries eggs so I keep one cheap non stick pan away from her for my pancakes, exclusively for pancakes.

The things most at risk of sticking seem to be pancakes, do you make pancakes and if so do they stick to stainless steel? Mrs WW fries eggs so I keep one cheap non stick pan away from her for my pancakes, exclusively for pancakes.

Very rarely do I make pancakes but, if I had stainless steel frying pans, I'd by a proper crepe pan

There is a certain knack to making pancakes, make sure one side is cooked first, then lift the edge gently with a blunt knife. Go around the whole of the edge with the knife, and flip gently, then make sure the next side is cooked before trying to lift, otherwise it will stick. The problem of sticking only arises, because people try to lift or flip the pancake too early. The secret is, let each side cook properly, before trying to lift / flip. A little butter can help, but should not really be needed, once you have the know how. ;)

Last edited:
There is a certain knack to making pancakes, make sure one side is cooked first, then lift the edge gently with a blunt knife. Go around the whole of the edge, and flip gently, than make sure the next side is cooked before trying to lift, otherwise it will stick. The problem of sticking only arises, because people try to lift or flip the pancake too early. The secret is, let each side cook properly, before trying to lift / flip. A little butter can help, but should not really be needed, once you have the know how. ;)

I've been making eggless vegi pancakes for years and use those silicone spatula things.

When the pans are new the pancakes don't stick at all and slide about fine but over time they need loosening at the edges first then the spatula needs sliding underneath to get them to slide and then eventually after more time they start to stick and the pans days are numbered.

I've been making eggless vegi pancakes for years and use those silicone spatula things.

When the pans are new the pancakes don't stick at all and slide about fine but over time they need loosening at the edges first then the spatula needs sliding underneath to get them to slide and then eventually after more time they start to stick and the pans days are numbered.

My pan is old and knackered but still cooks pancakes just fine, sometimes it may require a gentle tease with a butter knife. But pancakes always come out just fine. Keep working on it. ;)

We use Tefal frying pans and recycle them when they start sticking. Had the current pair for almost 10 years and they're just starting to get a bit tired. Might go into Debenhams tomorrow and see what their closing down prices are like. Got a dedicated low sided pancake pan for... pancakes!

I don't know when I'll be able to get into town as I'm very much tied to the house at the mo so I may have to order on line or just wait until/if things calm down a bit at home.

Besides cast iron pans/griddles, I also use steel frying pans (not stainless!), hard to find in domestic shops now I think. They are also “non stick” - meaning if seasoned and not detergent washed, I do use some oil of course (butter is best!)z These are no good if it’s oil you are avoiding. “Teflon” type don’t last for me and I always wonder how much Teflon etc one is eating when they start to pack up

Depends what you cook?

I use these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00462QP16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for most. No coating, robust and working well some 7 years later. For pancakes I have a Tefal pancake pan. Issue is its 6mths old and warped (probably due to me twice leaving it on a gas hob when not in use!

As above.

I keep one pan exclusively for pancakes, another for Quorn bits and pieces and egg and the more expensive one which I need to replace as the coating has totally gone in the centre is/was for general stuff... often potatoes and vegi sausages etc.

I'm sure their are other options, but I got fed up with the cheap non-stick pans, especially with two teenage stepchilden in the house, who had the ability to weld any food substance to them.

When I fitted a new kitchen 18 months ago, I treated myself to some new pans and and bought some from Pro-Cook - their professional stainless steel range, which as stainless saucepans, but coated with a non-stick for frying, sauteuse and saute pans. These latter pans have been brilliant, I use the Sauteuse pan most nights, and the non-stick is as good as it was when I bought them. They are also very easy to clean. Not cheap, but IMO worth it.

I'm sure similar pans are available from other manufacturers, but I have no regrets over my purchase

I'm sure their are other options, but I got fed up with the cheap non-stick pans, especially with two teenage stepchilden in the house, who had the ability to weld any food substance to them.

When I fitted a new kitchen 18 months ago, I treated myself to some new pans and and bought some from Pro-Cook - their professional stainless steel range, which as stainless saucepans, but coated with a non-stick for frying, sauteuse and saute pans. These latter pans have been brilliant, I use the Sauteuse pan most nights, and the non-stick is as good as it was when I bought them. They are also very easy to clean. Not cheap, but IMO worth it.

I'm sure similar pans are available from other manufacturers, but I have no regrets over my purchase

Thanks.

I'll look them up.

I don't mind paying more than supermarket prices, it's just that I just don't like putting them in the bin so quickly.

Those are the saucepans I bought last year and they're brilliant but the non stick coating has put me off the frying pans although I may revisit.

Those are the saucepans I bought last year and they're brilliant but the non stick coating has put me off the frying pans although I may revisit.

Honestly, the non-stick pans are brilliant (I've not put them in the dishwasher though, even though they are 'compatible', but they clean so easily its not an issue)

I use these two a lot and wouldn't be without them now

I've not put them in the dishwasher though, even though they are 'compatible', but they clean so easily its not an issue

All our pans are hand washed as our dishwasher is too small although the 14cm saucepan has gone in a couple of times.

We also have. a tub of "elbow grease" which is fantastic for getting them that bit shinier when necessary.

The best way to maintain non stick pans is to only ever use wooden or plastic utensils - obvious as it sounds but I've seen people use steel egg lifters on non-stick pans and then they wonder why the coating wears off - I always hand wash mine with hot sudsy water, usually involves chucking the mix out the back yard as oil will clog up your drains

If you're happy with non stick then try not to let them go from hot to cold too quickly (especially don't stick them in water when they're only just off the hob as this is what kills the coating)

If you want a 'natural' non-stick you don't necessarily need cast iron; consider carbon steel - whilst it is typically more expensive than traditional pans, but cheaper than cast iron, and you season it the same way you would do iron but takes fewer goes

All our pans are hand washed as our dishwasher is too small although the 14cm saucepan has gone in a couple of times.

We also have. a tub of "elbow grease" which is fantastic for getting them that bit shinier when necessary.

I bet you keep the elbow grease at the back of the sink, just out of your reach. ;) :p I know I do!!!

Those ProCook pans look good. Expensive but possibly cheaper at their (ProCook's) outlet shop in Street. Will have to make the trip up at some point.

I bet you keep the elbow grease at the back of the sink, just out of your reach. ;) :p I know I do!!!

Those ProCook pans look good. Expensive but possibly cheaper at their (ProCook's) outlet shop in Street. Will have to make the trip up at some point.

I've bought a fair bit of ProCook stuff over the years. Not the cheapest but nowhere near the most expensive. I also got some very nice, free knives with my last 2 orders.

Back