Question about developing expired C41 film

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
I was given a camera recently that had a part used roll of film inside. As the camera also came with a few other unused rolls of film, all dated 2005, I'm assuming that the roll in the camera is of a similar age and won't have been cold stored or anything.

I've now shot the rest of the frames, but the camera is a P&S compact so I had no control over the ISO and so they've been shot at box speed. I won't be developing it myself, so are there any instructions I should provide to the lab (other than what I've covered above)?

Ta

I found a P&S of my wife's last year that had a half used roll of colour film in it from 2006, it had just been in a drawer with no special storeage and I developed it using normal C41 times, many of the frames came out fine.

Peak Imaging suggest on their website that they process old films, but it seems like it's obsolete formats rather than what you want (and they don't seem to offer a process-only option).

I'd ring up Filmdev before sending, though. I don't think they wanted to process the c 1950 shot Tri-X I found in my sister's Box Brownie. Sent it to Peak in the end but there were at best ghost images on it.

But, 2005, probably be fine.

I sent a twenty year old film - out of the camera - to Photo Express, Hull, a few weeks ago and didn't expect much. The colour had degraded but they managed to send back prints in black and white. I find them very obliging.

I sent a twenty year old film - out of the camera - to Photo Express, Hull, a few weeks ago and didn't expect much. The colour had degraded but they managed to send back prints in black and white. I find them very obliging.
I don't know if they still do it, but if you mention your TP name when ordering they used to give a 50p per film discount... but subject to a minimum spend so you had to send at least two films to take advantage of it!

As an update on my original post - the film in question came back mostly unuseable. Every shot was extremely fogged with the exception of the 8 frames taken by the previous owner of the camera, probably around 15-20 years ago. Those were far from perfect, but I was able to recover a lot in Lightroom and put them on a CD to give to the person who gave me the camera.

The camera itself isn't anything particulalry special - a Samsung point-and-shoot compact - but I might put a fresh roll through it to see if it works ok. Who knows, maybe there could be a Travelling Samsung project later in the year. :)

Back