RAF100 London Flypast

Edit My Images
Yes
It appears that on 10th July the RAF are sending over London (Thames) a number of their aircraft, past and present, ranging from helicopters, BBMF and the recent jets. I saw a tweet of it which I have no idea how to link but I'm sure if you google #RAF100 you will find something.

I have the advantage that I am currently working in Southbank so, if I remember to lug my camera equipment down to London I will be taking a cheeky long lunch break ;-)

I'd have made the trek to London if I hadn't just been to Weston where they had the usual suspects...

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1010725.JPG

I think you've pushed the blue to far in post processing, or had the colour temp set wrong on the camera?

I think you've pushed the blue to far in post processing, or had the colour temp set wrong on the camera?
...or it's just the way I want it.

Ok. Just pointing out the planes have an unnatural tint, which happens when you adjust the whole image rather than just the sky
May I respectfully direct your attention to my signature?

Last edited:
Ah! Signatures :LOL:

@Kodiak Qc has this one

"If personal taste is involved, discussion is pointless.
Light is free, capturing it is NOT.
Mother Nature provides the light but talent renders the image. (Charlychuck)"

That first line perhaps is most germane in this discussional regard ;)

So glad I just read this. My flat's windows are perpendicular to Buckingham Palace, so whenever there's a flypast, the planes all run parallel to my windows before they hit the Mall a minute or two later. Will definitely be working from home that day!! :D

Thanks for the tip. I don’t work too far from the Palace so a lunchtime shoot sounds doable for me as well.

Can I ask if anyone knows of any particularly good spots around the Mall or the Palace to get good photos of the flypast?

It does sound a very large total number of aircraft..........I wonder where & when there might be sightings of some en route, low enough to photograph, if so where???

It does sound a very large total number of aircraft..........I wonder where & when there might be sightings of some en route, low enough to photograph, if so where???

They're taking off from several different airfields and the ATC is apparently among the most complicated exercises ever undertaken (and involves closing down a couple of major airports for a while). Pretty sure that a few minutes spent Googling (other search engines are available!) will throw up a fair few decent opportunities for any South East based photographers who want to catch a few.

The online map of the path is pretty basic but, I think, gives a reasonable indication of where you might find a decent spot.

If this fly past is similar to previous ones some of the planes will be low enough to get shots with, probably, a 200-300mm lens on a crop sensor camera. Perhaps, not individual planes but the groups.

Dave

They're taking off from several different airfields and the ATC is apparently among the most complicated exercises ever undertaken (and involves closing down a couple of major airports for a while). Pretty sure that a few minutes spent Googling (other search engines are available!) will throw up a fair few decent opportunities for any South East based photographers who want to catch a few.

The online map of the path is pretty basic but, I think, gives a reasonable indication of where you might find a decent spot.

If this fly past is similar to previous ones some of the planes will be low enough to get shots with, probably, a 200-300mm lens on a crop sensor camera. Perhaps, not individual planes but the groups.

Dave

Yes, the notes & track shown in @Lindsay56 post looks like a good indicative pointer....... Tuesday commitments might stop me getting close to potential sight locations ~ c'est la vie

That's less than 20% of the types included in the Flypast, you may need to jog on "up the smoke";)
Alas! Too late now. I'll just have to be happy with what I already have...

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1010723.JPG

I'll look to see if there are NOTAM's (Notices to Airmen - bound to have been published by now) detailing routes and closed airspace, to put up here

I'll look to see if there are NOTAM's (Notices to Airmen - bound to have been published by now) detailing routes and closed airspace, to put up here

I'd not heard of NOTAMs until you mentioned it, thanks, so had to look it up. Zooming in on this map - http://notaminfo.com/ukmap - shows a line straight down The Mall which I assume is the flight path of the Fly Past.

Dave

You beat me to it!

Last edited:
For the ones that don’t normally shoot birds or planes ,don’t forget to dial in at least two thirds of a stop positive exp compensation to stop the sk6 blowing your shots out

Adjust it quickly - I reckon the flypast would be as effectively caught as silhouettes against an interesting sky (even a plain blue one would do!). Yes, as a shot of an individual aircraft, expose for the 'plane but the spectacle is to commemorate 100 years of the RAF rather than any one individual aircraft.

Might even be worth setting up for a bracket set - metered, +2/3 and +1 1/3.

Last edited:
They have been keeping secret about the 22 off Typhoons formation but my speculative guess would be in the form of the number 100

Adjust it quickly - I reckon the flypast would be as effectively caught as silhouettes against an interesting sky (even a plain blue one would do!). Yes, as a shot of an individual aircraft, expose for the 'plane but the spectacle is to commemorate 100 years of the RAF rather than any one individual aircraft.

Might even be worth setting up for a bracket set - metered, +2/3 and +1 1/3.

A worthy & timely thought about the context over the "airframes".

One other thing to consider is the journey time from Ipswich to Buckingham Palace is 15 mins, so at any one place they are not going to be hanging around. Obvious, I know and perhaps this shows my lack of common sense and/or skill but it is easy to miss shots.

Dave

Quite looking forward to this, we live on the flight line and with the exception of one year, we have been treated to exceptional show as they fly over Chelmsford. We always get a puff of smoke from teh Red Arrows too :)

From my photos of the last Queen's flypast this year, the Lancaster was here around 12:45 and flew at least 5 circuits above me till the first jets arrived at about 12:54, last jet (Arrows) cleared us around 13:00. There is often a lone hawk around 12:26 checking cloud level before the formation propper. Sometimes the BBMF planes have been known to form up with the flypast formation just outside the M25 for some other flypasts, similar for helicopters.

No guarantees any of this will be repeated - its a larger formation as well, but previous years (2016, 2017 and 2013) have had the first planes over here at 12:45 +/- 1 min or so and the red arrows clear of here for 13:00.

I always monitor flightradar24, callsign 'TARTN01' (the big Voyager) is usually present in a holding circuit off lowestoft and a good indicator of where they are on the route (sometimes the radar is slightly delayed though).

This tweet gives a good idea of what to look for: https://BANNED/CivMilAir/status/1005390579109416961

Quite excited already - going to try and get some blurred props for the first time, at around 1000 m altitude, most aircraft are within reach of my 300 on DX format and with a larger sensor this time, might have some more crop available.... :D

Some good info here: http://www.military-airshows.co.uk/press18/raf100flypast2018.htm

I went to the RAF100 static display at Horse Guards Parade yesterday, and talking to one of the RAF volunteers there he suggested Hackney Marsh as an ideal spot for photos of the aircraft on their approach into Central London. He mentioned a bridge over the A12 (I think?) as a great vantage point.

Would my 70-200 be sufficient with my Nikon D850 tomorrow? I'm in London (Office is at Whitechapel but can jump on the District Line down to Embankment) to get a good view of them. I'm thinking Trafalgar Square might be the best place...

Just had the house well and truly rattled as they came over my place. literally overhead at around 300-500 ft

Had a load of 'copters fly over my office in Hemel Hempstead at about noon....my camera was in the car and the long lens at home so failed to get a shot

Looks like they're flying back the same way...the first just flew over on the way home

Had my camera ready just in case the dispersal tracks came anywhere near my part of Surrey......was keeping an eye on flight radar and the Lancaster was "about" ~ fairly sure I heard the distinctive multi engine note in the distance but not visible.

Though delighted to see a Kestrel high up over the estate.....took a few grab shots = very big crops but heh it was a raptor just not of the fast jet variety ;)

Fast jets, I've never seen them go so slow.

For poor logistical reasons on my part I only had 70mm reach (FF) and with fantastic (not) grey clouds I used St Paul's as my backdrop. The 100 display was well executed but all the crowd were concerned about were the Red's. Biggest cheer of the 9 minutes. Anyway, back to work!

A Lancaster and I think a Comet flew over here earlier.
I was over the park walking the dog and my camera was at home, typical.

Back