Rant, rant, rant.. it really gets my goat...

By law, you shouldn't be going faster than them by much anyway. Just because you want to go faster doesn't mean they are in the wrong being in the outside lane almost exactly on the legal speed limit.

It does if they can pull over to lane 1 or 2 without slowing.

If the Highway Code does still state that drivers must use the leftmost lane unless overtaking then those hogging any lane other than the one on the extreme lefthand one are causing an obstruction. It is therefore neither legal, sensible or wise to act as "lane speed monitor" because by doing so, with some drivers(?), your behaviour will possibly cause said over the limit drivers to put others than you in danger!

On the subject of motorway drivers. The ones who can't decide what speed to drive that annoy me. I'm going a steady speed - often using cruise control. There are three types:

The ones that overtake you and pull into your lane then slow down, so you have to pull out and overtake them back. Sometimes this happens over and over with the same vehicle on a long journey.
The ones that are going slowly until you pull out to overtake then they put their foot down to stop you going past.
The ones that come alongside then slow down to match your speed, effectively boxing you in when you catch a slower vehicle in your lane.

I mean, why?

On the subject of motorway drivers. The ones who can't decide what speed to drive that annoy me. I'm going a steady speed - often using cruise control.

I've stopped using my cruise control.

I've got a limiter on my car so I just need to set my required maximum and drive normally. Feels much safer to me and I don't have to keep adjusting the cruise speed to allow for traffic conditions.

I do the same - I use the limiter as an insurance against speeding (too much) so I have a little more input than cruise control.

It's actually the first car I've had with it. At first I used CC a lot. New toy and all that, now I find I bother with it far less because traffic makes it a pain.

I have the speed alert set at 80 and I've never set it off in 4 years!

By law, you shouldn't be going faster than them by much anyway. Just because you want to go faster doesn't mean they are in the wrong being in the outside lane almost exactly on the legal speed limit.
Only if they are passing cars that are on their right.

It's actually the first car I've had with it. At first I used CC a lot. New toy and all that, now I find I bother with it far less because traffic makes it a pain.

I have the speed alert set at 80 and I've never set it off in 4 years!
I got a new car in Feb and it has assisted cruise control. Uses radar to keep safe distant from car in front, speeding up and slowing down as necessary. Its really great in traffic.

A hate the term *glass* when describing a lens. Such as "invest in better glass". No, you have to buy the whole lens, not just the see through bit.
A lens is just a single part of an objective glass. Normally an objective glass contains many lenses. I don't know any usable objective glass (for photography), which has just one lens inside. They are mostly that many, that they have to be organized in groups. Yes, you have to buy the whole objective glass not just a single lens.

I got a new car in Feb and it has assisted cruise control. Uses radar to keep safe distant from car in front, speeding up and slowing down as necessary. Its really great in traffic.
The wife had that on her Volvo v40, great fun for about a week. Just another marketing gimmick in reality.

A lens is just a single part of an objective glass. Normally an objective glass contains many lenses. I don't know any usable objective glass (for photography), which has just one lens inside. They are mostly that many, that they have to be organized in groups. Yes, you have to buy the whole objective glass not just a single lens.
Yes I agree with you on that, but you don't go into a shop and say "I'd like to buy a 24-70 glass please", you ask for a lens, because that's what they're called. :)

A hate the term *glass* when describing a lens. Such as "invest in better glass". No, you have to buy the whole lens, not just the see through bit.

There was a time when (some) people refered to buying a new car as having bought a new 'motor'.............................everyone(?) knew what they meant and as such everyone(?) who has an interest in SLR photography either knows or learns, that 'glass' refers to buying a new lens ;)

Yes I agree with you on that, but you don't go into a shop and say "I'd like to buy a 24-70 glass please", you ask for a lens, because that's what they're called. :)

Maybe just the difference to between generality parlance and specific requirement..........................for the same reason you state I have yet to see 'glass' used in anything other than that general discussion manner. Folk recommending at TP state the lens by its title (e.g. 24-70mm f2.8 or 500mm f4) and may not even say 'lens'.

Last edited:
Well, this is something which depends and differs from person to person. Some say it shot while some say pictures and so we need to understand what they mean to say yeah :)

Well, this is something which depends and differs from person to person. Some say it shot while some say pictures and so we need to understand what they mean to say yeah :)
But what does it depend on?

Not so, lens can also be a collective term, and the individual lenses that it may then contain are then called 'elements'.

While we're on a motoring theme, what really p****s me off is when you're cruising down a main road at, say, 60 and someone pulls out of a sideroad in front of you, having ignored the give way markings, causing you to brake and interrupt the flow of your journey.

Then, more often than you'd think, at the next right hand turn they slow down even further to turn right across the flow of traffic coming the other way.

Oh, and middle lane hoggers on motorways.....

Last edited:
I agree - mainly because calling a lens 'glass' is both pretentious and inaccurate as you need the electronics and casings etc. But I call my spectacles
'glasses' even though they are, strictly, plastics.

While we're on a motoring theme, what really p****s me off is when you're cruising down a main road at, say, 60 and someone pulls out of a sideroad in front of you, having ignored the give way markings, causing you to brake and interrupt the flow of your journey.

Then, more often than you'd think, at the next right hand turn they slow down even further to turn right across the flow of traffic coming the other way.

Yup, this has happened more times than I care to remember.

Oh, and the number of drivers at whatever speed the road permits pull out to overtake but do not accelerate to pass the obstructing slower vehicle......they just continue at the oh so slightly greater speed they 'carried' and then to cap it only pull in after at least 300ft. A few then do accelerate once they have moved over, now what was that thinking all about :confused::mad:

Now where's my Sellotape©?

Telling someone that in certain other countries I was given to understand would get you a different response! Unless I was being spun a tall tale ;)

Can an individual element be called a 'len' then? :coat:
I had a friend called "Len" he was certainly an "Individual" he died some years back, so I'm guessing he is now just "elements"
Happy to help :D

Telling someone that in certain other countries I was given to understand would get you a different response! Unless I was being spun a tall tale ;)
Not sure on that one, but I think that's why a "rubber" became eraser but then again they both do the same thing :D
( only people of a certain age may get that :D )

Not sure on that one, but I think that's why a "rubber" became eraser but then again they both do the same thing :D
( only people of a certain age may get that :D )

Well rather than link to one site here is the search page, I gather such 'mistakes' and merriment as a result of British English being misunderstood by those that speak Australian English (or should that be vice versa :LOL: ) are no longer commonplace. ;)
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s....69i57j0l5.10773j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I just realised that 'fridge' has a 'd' in it but 'refrigerator' doesn't.

I think you will find that it's the other way round ..... Durex in Australia is sticky tape! :D

I think you will find that it's the other way round ..... Durex in Australia is sticky tape! :D
Ah yes that is the one I was trying to think of (y)

Not if you drive 40k miles pa it isn't. Especially on motorway in bad weather, can be a life saver.
Its good tech without a doubt but I found that it wasnt flexible enough to make for safe driving in bad weather, even the brochure tells you that inclement weather can affect the performance of the radar, and depending on your position in the road it can become a little erratic. These are all aids that can be helpful at times but on a long motorway journey (we used it regularly for spells of the journey from North Yorks to Bournemouth) it can become of a pain. We nded up switching it off more than we had it in use.
Each to their own though. Not sure what difference 40k per year makes to be honest.

Its good tech without a doubt but I found that it wasnt flexible enough to make for safe driving in bad weather, even the brochure tells you that inclement weather can affect the performance of the radar, and depending on your position in the road it can become a little erratic. These are all aids that can be helpful at times but on a long motorway journey (we used it regularly for spells of the journey from North Yorks to Bournemouth) it can become of a pain. We nded up switching it off more than we had it in use.
Each to their own though. Not sure what difference 40k per year makes to be honest.
Maybe VW's system is better? You can adjust the safe distance to match conditions, you can even adjust the speed with which it accerlates. I use it a lot.

Going to the South Coast for a few days later in the month and planned to go to the Battle of britain Museum at Hawking - until I saw this in the T&C...

In keeping with common practice, on grounds of both security and copyright, we regret that no cameras, video recorders or any other types of recording equipment (including notebooks) are allowed in the Museum

Really - security of what? What a joke!

Back