RAW files unreadable

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Hi
I've just purchased my Canon 5D mk iv and I've just found out that I can't import my images onto my iMac, I just keep getting error massages saying unreadable files.

I've had a Google about it and it seems to be a common problem with the new RAW files Canon has produce with the mk 4. Is there anybody out there that can help me out here and give me a solution?

I have two programs on the Mac; iPhoto which I tend to favour & Adobe Elements 11, neither will capture the images so here I am :help: A Youtube clip was referring Canon's DPP (Digital Photo Professional)
Is this their own editing program to buy or can I just upgrade the software I already have?

Sounds like your software id too old for your new RAW files.

Download the free Adobe DNG convertor and follow the instructions to convert your new RAW files into a DNG format your software will read.

Canon's DPP will be on the disk you received when you bought the camera, should be in the box, might even be a download these days as it's a while since I've seen a CD

Or update your MacOS, it's free...

Photos (as it will become) will work, Elements 11 won't, I don't think.

Sounds like your software id too old for your new RAW files.

Download the free Adobe DNG convertor and follow the instructions to convert your new RAW files into a DNG format your software will read.
He cant get the pics onto his computer, he's not going to be able to convert them to DNG.

He cant get the pics onto his computer, he's not going to be able to convert them to DNG.

I think he almost certainly could if he copied and pasted the files, he's just reporting that they can't be read or imported via his usual method. Which all makes sense based on the info given (i.e. using iPhotos / Elements 11).

Unfortunately both iPhoto and Elements 11 predate the 5DIV by a fair few years!

As far as iPhoto goes, the latest OS (and perhaps earlier ones) support the 5DIV (see https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208967), although as Nawty as said, iPhoto is replaced by Photos (which is quite a bit better, and free!). Photos it pretty comprehensive now and often overlooked sadly.

Similar details on the Adobe support for the 5DIV here - https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html#canon_note

The benefit of updating your OS would be you would also see the previews and thumbnails in Finder etc, although that's not necessary of the software you are using will read the raw file, but can be easier to navigate and find the file in the first place.

Hi Guys
Just got on to read your replies.
This is great with all the help and links to look into, that should keep me busy for a while.
Your dead right though Photos which I forgot to mention is on there as well, and yes does seem to get over looked and it has superseded iPhoto which makes sense you saying that Elements 11 & iPhoto are both old and won’t be compatible with the 5Div files.
The Mac has updated to the latest operating system but as iPhoto has been replaced with Photos, should I try Photos or has someone already done that?
The Mac doesn’t have a CD-ROM so if going for the DPP option it will have to be a download.

Terrific guys I’m going to have a look at those options and see what I can do but with me it’s the saying Old People & Technology so it might be a bit slow. But I do have one of those young people I call a son. [emoji1335][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

If you go to Canon.co.uk you’ll be able to download the latest Software for free for your camera. I’m not sure if Photos will read RAW files. I have a Mac but use Lightroom. I used to prefer the raw files in DPP to Lightroom but LR just more convenient for me.

Morning Bebop
Thank you for your reply. I've found out that Photo's does actually support the files for D5iv but it seems to be a very basic program for editing, although I am only a amateur I would prefer a program that is more advanced with tools and at least a histogram.
I'm in the process of looking at DPP but as I've used Elements is Lightroom similar or is more advanced. Do you know the costs of Lightroom if I decided to buy a new program?

The cheapest way is a two step conversion.

1 convert raw files to DNG using the free converter from Adobe.
2 import those into your current photo editor.

Of course you end up with twice as many files unless you choose to delete the RAWS in favour of the DNG

Lightroom is currently on a subscription basis with Photoshop at £ 10/m for the Creative Cloud Photography Plan, although there are usually discount codes to reduce that by 10/15% floating around. Occasionally you find it at Black Friday and special sales for maybe £ 75
There is a 30 day trial version which you can download and see if you like it. Its got a lot of editing functions built in, sufficient for most people never to venture outside Lightroom.

Hi Guys
Sorry yes you did say and I’m going to give that ago on Friday evening as I’ve found out that Photos does actually capture the images.
I’m going to try and figure out how to change to dng and then move to iPhoto.
I’m also open to other people’s suggestions as something more direct would be less messing around. Is there are quality change with the file changing to a dng?

The cheapest way is a two step conversion.

1 convert raw files to DNG using the free converter from Adobe.
2 import those into your current photo editor.

Of course you end up with twice as many files unless you choose to delete the RAWS in favour of the DNG

Lightroom is currently on a subscription basis with Photoshop at £ 10/m for the Creative Cloud Photography Plan, although there are usually discount codes to reduce that by 10/15% floating around. Occasionally you find it at Black Friday and special sales for maybe £ 75
There is a 30 day trial version which you can download and see if you like it. Its got a lot of editing functions built in, sufficient for most people never to venture outside Lightroom.

Hi Andrewc

Many thanks, exactly that mate a lot of work to do changing, transporting, deleting and that’s before editing. But yes its better than nothing and it’s free.

I’m still going to try it though and see how I get on

If you've not tried Lightroom (or one of its rivals), do so. its non destructive so any tweaks are recorded but the master file is kept original - you export a copy with the modifications if you need to upload a photo or get it printed. It mans you can also try different techniques.

Lots of youtube things and the guys here will always help out.

Thanks andrewc
I appreciate that. There's a good few suggestion put to me and I'm going to look at them all, I would prefer the more straight forward option even if it means investing in new software. I've haven"t used lightroom before, is there much difference from Elements?

Morning Bebop
Thank you for your reply. I've found out that Photo's does actually support the files for D5iv but it seems to be a very basic program for editing, although I am only a amateur I would prefer a program that is more advanced with tools and at least a histogram.
I'm in the process of looking at DPP but as I've used Elements is Lightroom similar or is more advanced. Do you know the costs of Lightroom if I decided to buy a new program?

Photo's does have histogram! You can see the main features about halfway down this page - https://www.apple.com/uk/macos/photos/
Not saying it's as functional as Lightoom / Capture One etc, but there is a lot in there that covers a lot of peoples needs.

Thanks andrewc
I appreciate that. There's a good few suggestion put to me and I'm going to look at them all, I would prefer the more straight forward option even if it means investing in new software. I've haven"t used lightroom before, is there much difference from Elements?

Lightroom is a non-destructive catalog system with fairy sophisticated editing features, but those features are mainly those that are designed to affect the image as a whole (exposure etc), with some (improving) capability to allow you to apply those same adjustments to just part of the image (Gradient filters, radial filters, masking etc), but it won't allow you to move objects around in the image, and has limited ability to 'remove' things (spots okay, simple lines etc okay, more complex stuff, not so great).

By contrast Elements (and it's bigger Sister Photoshop) are pixel based editors, and do allow you to stretch, remove, add etc elements to the image (think replacing eyes from one group photo to another where someone was not blinking etc). Elements offers more guided tutorials than Photoshop and is simpler to use, albeit less powerful at the end of the day.

There's an overlap between the two product sets (you can do somethings in Lightroom that are better down in Elements, and you can do some things in elements that lightroom is better at etc), and for most people, either will have enough functionality to cover most of of your needs, so best option is to grab both and see which way of working you prefer.

We're all on our own journeys and at different stages! I've just cancelled by Adobe subscription (to much protestation from Adobe, first registered product in 2004 apparently!), and am moving towards a much simpler workflow that I think Photos will cover (hence why I keep on about it!), but the best advice is to ignore others (including me) and try the options until you settle on something that works for you now. :)

I am having a doozy of a time deciding what todo with my 30K+ photo's in LR though and how best to manage them moving forward, but that's another story!

Last edited:
Blimey fella you sound like you really know you're business I'm very impressed do you do this for a living?
I've sussed how to do the transfer but OMG what a **** ache! I reckon I'll be looking for a compatible program, I can't see me going through that after a holiday with 600 plus shots to go through. I'll keep using the older software ie; iPhoto and Elements for my 7D and buy a new program for the 5Div

I had to change them to PNG files on the Mac DNG wasn't an option

Back