Beginner raw

carmot

Suspended / Banned
Name
john conlin
Edit My Images
Yes
with a Nikon d 750 in auto will it give you both raw and jpegs or just jpegs

If you are new to photography and have just got your D750 then there is nothing wrong with using Auto. There is nothing wrong with using Auto all the time, if you want. However, you won't get the best out of your camera and won't be using any photographic skills yourself to push the camera to its limits and/or get the results you want.

Dave

Reactions: RIR
I'm not a Nikon shooter, but you cannot shoot in raw when in full auto on a Canon.
Don't know if Nikon is different, but if you can and you have the ability to process raw files, then it will give you a bit more flexibility in terms of fixing mistakes.

I'm not a Nikon shooter, but you cannot shoot in raw when in full auto on a Canon.
Don't know if Nikon is different, but if you can and you have the ability to process raw files, then it will give you a bit more flexibility in terms of fixing mistakes.
Read this and thought. "No, that can't be right". So went to have a look.
5D3 - Yup, I could select RAW on in full auto (it's got full auto - who knew? ;) )
7D1 - Again, I could select RAW on in full auto
1100D - a proper low end consumer model - again, I could select RAW in Full Auto
Finally, found one where I couldn't... The old 350D only allows jpeg (fine of normal I think) in full auto, change it to AV ot TV and a couple of RAW options reappear.

So I thought, blimey I wonder what Elliot shoots with, kudos for staying with something elderly. But no... Evidently 6D and 7D2 users can't be trusted with options newer than those of a 2005 camera ;)

You need to set the camera output in the menu. You can set it to jpegs only, raw only or JPEG+RAW, it will use what ever you have set it to in any mode.

+1

… and you may set to save the different formats on different cards!

It is a Nikon… so it all possible! :whistle:

Read this and thought. "No, that can't be right". So went to have a look.
5D3 - Yup, I could select RAW on in full auto (it's got full auto - who knew? ;) )
7D1 - Again, I could select RAW on in full auto
1100D - a proper low end consumer model - again, I could select RAW in Full Auto
Finally, found one where I couldn't... The old 350D only allows jpeg (fine of normal I think) in full auto, change it to AV ot TV and a couple of RAW options reappear.

So I thought, blimey I wonder what Elliot shoots with, kudos for staying with something elderly. But no... Evidently 6D and 7D2 users can't be trusted with options newer than those of a 2005 camera ;)

:oops: :$ Well, I'll be damned. That's embarrassing :whistle:

I must admit, I've never tried it on the 6D or 7D2.
I guess because my old 350D, 400D, 40D and my current G1X2 won't do it, I just assumed that it wasn't something you could do in Auto Mode on all Canons.

Anyway, where did I put those camera manuals :exit:

with a Nikon d 750 in auto will it give you both raw and jpegs or just jpegs

Yes. Also remember that if you want, you can write the RAW to one SD card and the JPG to the other... this can be helpful if you want to import the jpgs quickly to send them to someone etc (they're smaller files so import quicker and you don't have to deselect the RAWs first)...

Edited to add: nothing wrong with full auto. Especially if you understand what it's doing and why. Not sure if you're just learning but if so, it can be a way of getting more keepers initially as you learn about exposure triangle.

Also, full auto is an excellent mode to switch to if you're giving your camera to someone for them to take a photo of you :) Although I have a U2 mode set up for that.

Last edited:
wgat is the advantageof RAW

It contains more information "per pixel" and isn't (usually) compressed in a way that degrades the detail/information further. RAW effectively captures the raw data from the sensor (hence the name) whereas JPG captures a processed version of the same, which is compressed. Plenty of other discussions on this forum and the internet generally about the topic...

I've just checked on my 7DII and RAW is possible with full Auto....

As for advantages of RAW v JPEG, most of the time I shoot JPEG (Motorsport, wildlife) and have been quite happy with the results. That said, if I were shooting landscapes or portraits, then I think RAW would be preferable. Any situation where there is poor or difficult lighting, RAW will most likely give you more options get the best result in the final images.

However, you won't get the best out of your camera and won't be using any photographic skills yourself to push the camera to its limits and/or get the results you want.

Dave

Soz, but that's just rubbish advice :(

I use Auto almost all of the time, there are very few instances when its not quite right with a little compensation added

For Weddings especially you'd struggle to shoot in Manual all the time without missing shots

Your comment harks back to the "old boys club" attitude that Manual is what 'proper' togs use, its just not true and is likely to confuse a newbie

Dave

He probably doesn't realise that A and S (Av and Tv) are automatic modes, David.

Soz, but that's just rubbish advice :(

I use Auto almost all of the time, there are very few instances when its not quite right with a little compensation added

For Weddings especially you'd struggle to shoot in Manual all the time without missing shots

Your comment harks back to the "old boys club" attitude that Manual is what 'proper' togs use, its just not true and is likely to confuse a newbie

We'll have to agree to disagree, Dave.

Auto (and by this I mean full auto, not Av or Tv, where the photographer is making a decision) will give the results the photographer wants sometimes, perhaps, most of the time. However, in auto the camera could use an aperture which does not give the depth of field the photographer wants or a shutter speed to slow to stop movement; and if auto is used then the photographer has no input so isn't using any photographic skills. The camera could easily be capable of giving the results the photographer wants but without some control, it might not happen.

I'm not harking back to Manual being what 'proper' photographers use. It isn't something I subscribe to and fortunately it is view is not seen very often now. I rarely use manual, mostly I use Av because DoF is, in most of my shots, the important thing of me.

Dave

We'll have to agree to disagree, Dave.

Auto (and by this I mean full auto, not Av or Tv, where the photographer is making a decision) will give the results the photographer wants sometimes, perhaps, most of the time. However, in auto the camera could use an aperture which does not give the depth of field the photographer wants or a shutter speed to slow to stop movement; and if auto is used then the photographer has no input so isn't using any photographic skills. The camera could easily be capable of giving the results the photographer wants but without some control, it might not happen.

I'm not harking back to Manual being what 'proper' photographers use. It isn't something I subscribe to and fortunately it is view is not seen very often now. I rarely use manual, mostly I use Av because DoF is, in most of my shots, the important thing of me.

Dave
Firstly; AV and TV are Auto modes, we can't choose to not describe them as such. In a binary Auto vs Manual debate they are clearly not Manual.

2ndly, using P I can shift the aperture or shutter speed to something that suits, and I can also apply exp comp or exp lock. It's amazing, as I said above, Auto only means switching off your brain if that's what you choose to do. There's no more correlation between Manual and photographer skill, than with Auto and photographer skill.
There are more intelligent photographers shooting Auto and getting the results they want than stupid photographers shooting Manual and getting it. So it really comes down to knowing what you're doing, not where the mode dial sits.

NB I never advocate green box or any of the ridiculous scene modes that cameras have, they're of no consequence to photographers, just the marketing guys and idiots who believe that cameras take pictures.

I think I should have made myself clearer in my first post in this thread. By 'Auto' I mean using the green box where there isn't any input from the photographer, but perhaps I'm in a minority of one. Maybe Av, Tv and P should be called semi-auto modes.

Dave

I think I should have made myself clearer in my first post in this thread. By 'Auto' I mean using the green box where there isn't any input from the photographer, but perhaps I'm in a minority of one. Maybe Av, Tv and P should be called semi-auto modes.

Dave
But by 'Auto' Dave was talking about everything not 'Manual'

Yes, can see that now. As Dave mentioned using 'Auto' with a little compensation added I should have realised he did not mean the green box. It would be interesting to know what the OP meant by 'Auto'.

Dave

Even if you learn all you can about raw vs jpeg and decide for now it is better to use jpeg override that decision and even if you can't see the benefit shoot Raw.

The reason being one day in the future you will have the ability to process properly and will wish you had the raw data, also software improves. There is also a good argument to shoot brackets too, give yourself those extra exposures in case one day you learn how to use them and want to go back to some old shots...

Back