Raynox 250 With Macro Lens

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of purchasing a Raynox 250 to couple it up with a Sigma 105mm macro lens. Can this be achieved, or, is the Raynox primarily for putting on non macro lenses?

Thanks for any help..

Moey

I use the Raynox 250 extensively on the Sony 90mm macro lens. I also use this with 10+16mm extension tubes. I have encountered no problems with this combination. I find it easier to actually screw the Raynox onto the front of the lens rather than use the adapter.

I don’t have that Raynox but use a Marumi that has a similar magnification
It’s works really well screwed on to my canon 100L macro
I actually use it without flash but need good light and a tripod though
Depth of field is very small , I normally stack around three shots or so to do an insect portrait

I find it easier to actually screw the Raynox onto the front of the lens rather than use the adapter.

I wondered this whilst watching a youtube vid on the Raynox... you have answered my query... :)

I use the Raynox 250 extensively on the Sony 90mm macro lens. I also use this with 10+16mm extension tubes. I have encountered no problems with this combination. I find it easier to actually screw the Raynox onto the front of the lens rather than use the adapter.

I'd love to see some images taken with this setup? I have extension tubes too, so I'm hoping the macro lens, a couple of tubes and a Raynox will allow me to get pretty close?

There's no reason at all for it not to work, but Like @Fuji Dave I find the DCR250 somewhat too powerful and find the weaker DCR150 a much more practical choice.
I do still have my DCR250, but ti's only the 150 that lives in my camera bag.

I find the clip on design ideal for my usage - it's not as secure as screwing onto the filter threads, but I typically clip the Raynox on for one or two shots then take it off again. The range of sizes the clip fits suits most of my lenses while I have very few the screw would fit without a stepping ring.

There's no reason at all for it not to work, but Like @Fuji Dave I find the DCR250 somewhat too powerful and find the weaker DCR150 a much more practical choice.
I do still have my DCR250, but ti's only the 150 that lives in my camera bag.

I find the clip on design ideal for my usage - it's not as secure as screwing onto the filter threads, but I typically clip the Raynox on for one or two shots then take it off again. The range of sizes the clip fits suits most of my lenses while I have very few the screw would fit without a stepping ring.

Would you consider selling the 250? :)

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of purchasing a Raynox 250 to couple it up with a Sigma 105mm macro lens. Can this be achieved, or, is the Raynox primarily for putting on non macro lenses?

Thanks for any help..

Moey

I used the Raynox 250 on the sigma 105mm on a trip to Malawi at the tail end of last year. Check out my Flickr for some of the shots

I use the 250 with the Canon 100L macro lens and it works well. I used the DCR-150 before that, which also worked well

You can have a look at my flickr for some examples: macro shots from this summer are using the 250, last summer the 150

I use the 250 with the Canon 100L macro lens and it works well. I used the DCR-150 before that, which also worked well

You can have a look at my flickr for some examples: macro shots from this summer are using the 250, last summer the 150

Lovely set of images there. The Robberfly and Wolfspider, did you take them with the 250 and macro lens combi? Really nice they are...:)

I've found just these two:
50061987416_15069a2100_h.jpg

50072476592_2a2a00edc8_h.jpg

Neither were hand held, I don't think I could use the Raynox unless on a tripod, the lavender bud was stacked.
Both shots were Sony A6000, Sony 90mm macro lens, Raynox 250 and Meike extension tubes 10mm+16mm.

Last edited:
Lovely set of images there. The Robberfly and Wolfspider, did you take them with the 250 and macro lens combi? Really nice they are...:)

Thanks, all taken with the Raynox + macro lens

Here is a search of images that I have tagged as Raynox 250 on my Flickr

For any lens with filter thread 52-67mm it's a lot easier to use the clip to snap it on and off I found, have owned a few Raynox to date [always end up selling on and then wishing I hadn't] that way you're not restricted to closest focusing only. Snap it on when you want greater than 1:1 using your macro lens, but then it's off in a second when you want to pull back a bit for larger subjects.

There's a useful raynox calculator here: http://extreme-macro.co.uk/raynox-adapter-techniques/

With your Sigma 105 you are stepping into 2:1 magnification territory, with only a few cm working distance. I think the 150 is better in this case, the 250 is great when attached to non macro lenses [the longer the FL the more magnification, [I found 70-100mm easiest work with though have used one on 200mm non macro lenses hand-held it's just tricky]

Last edited:
tried it on my sp90 but 8 diopters too much so I now use some tubes and/or an achromat upto 3 dioptres.
The raynox is great on my nikon 1 30-110 however - used it quite a bit on that.

Back