Rechargeable batteries

Name
Sohail
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone recommend any decent AA rechargeable batteries?
Preferably some that don't discharge while sitting in the bag doing nothing.

Last edited:

For over four years, I have been using Eneloop with greatest satisfaction!

It's not just the batteries, it's how you cook them, from my understanding they will last longer (as in number of recharges) if they charge slowly on in an intelligent charger than quickly in an Chinese E-bay cheapie.

It's not just the batteries, it's how you cook them, from my understanding they will last longer (as in number of recharges) if they charge slowly on in an intelligent charger than quickly in an Chinese E-bay cheapie.

I currently own one of these, don't know if it's an intelligent charger though.

Any low self-discharge NiMH battery will do exactly as you describe (Eneloops are the most well known of this type, but many other manufacturers make rechargeables with the same technology).

Any low self-discharge NiMH battery will do exactly as you describe (Eneloops are the most well known of this type, but many other manufacturers make rechargeables with the same technology).

Currently weighing up the differences between the Eneloops, 7dayshop "good to go", and the Amazon Basics

Haha, I'm known for that :D IF you needed recovery or soft charging then then the link I posted is great, however soft charge with 2500mAh AAs can take 16 hours! Given that a fast charge takes 1.5 hours you can see why they last longer when soft charged, many reasons why fast charging shortens the life of the cells, processor controlled charging is the way to go, most just run a forced charge cycle over a given time, the output or the cell is not monitored, again the linked charger has processor controlled charging for each of the 8 bays :) what you using them for? Flash looking at where we are posting?

Last edited:
Yes, my yongnuo speedlites etc. Kids have happily helped themselves to most of my other rechargeables and therefore was thinking of having my own "photography" dedicated ones.

4 X speedlites + 1 TX controller = 18 AA batteries.
2 x RF receivers = 4 AAA batteries.

So with spares and all I am looking at approx. 6 AA packs and 2 AAA packs. Hence why I wasn't looking at another charger, although a dedicated "photography" one may help...:)

I have a number of envelops, 7 day good to go and amazon basic. The amazon ones are no good and only get used in the wii motes or the kids toys. I use the 7 day shop one in the trigger/flash and envelop mainly for flash only.

I have bought this charger and an happy with it. The normal envelop one was a bit slow at charging:

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/7...arger-for-aa-and-aaa-up-to-3000mah-WH2-DS-127

Not used many envelops for my flash before, but willing to try anything...;) Did you get the Eneloops from 7dayshop as well? I was thinking either the 7dayshop AA's as they are 2150 or the eneloop pro's. Not much difference for me, the TX controller also takes AA's (2) so would only need AAA's for the receivers.

The 7dayshop ones are half the price of the Eneloops though, which will then allow me to get a posh charger!

Last edited:
I have been using 7dayshop ones for a couple of years now, with no problems, they seem to hold their charge fine, I cycle them once a month if the are not being used.

I've tried plenty, and Eneloops have been the most consistent. We have dozens of Eneloops and use them for everything at home, they just work. If on a budget wait until Lidl or Aldi have low self discharge rechargeables on offer.

Not used many envelops for my flash before, but willing to try anything...;) Did you get the Eneloops from 7dayshop as well? I was thinking either the 7dayshop AA's as they are 2150 or the eneloop pro's. Not much difference for me, the TX controller also takes AA's (2) so would only need AAA's for the receivers.

The 7dayshop ones are half the price of the Eneloops though, which will then allow me to get a posh charger!
Some from Amazon, some from 7ds.

I have been using 7dayshop ones for a couple of years now, with no problems, they seem to hold their charge fine, I cycle them once a month if the are not being used.
+1

Having had a rumage around the house and looking into all the various remotes, it seems I can salvage 5 4 packs of the 7dayshop 2150mAh batteries. So have decided to get some cheapo ones for those and a few more decent ones for myself, leaving me able to purchase a battery charger.

Question now is 4 battery or 8 battery charger as mentioned by Arthur above.

@ Kev, How are you finding the charger, it seems to be a 7dayshop branded version of the Technoline BL-700.

I have bought this charger and an happy with it. The normal envelop one was a bit slow at charging:

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/7...arger-for-aa-and-aaa-up-to-3000mah-WH2-DS-127

Saul,

Happy with the charger, I was also thinking of going for a 8 battery one but 4 has worked just fine. I only use the flash for some pics of the kids so have not had heavy use.

I got a smart digital of amazon with eneloops for about 20 quid bargain

Eneloops are great though I was told that they dont lose battery life by fast charging weather that is true or not I dont know the charger I have has a refresh option too which discharges battery completely then recharges at slow rate.

Eneloops are great though I was told that they dont lose battery life by fast charging weather that is true or not I dont know the charger I have has a refresh option too which discharges battery completely then recharges at slow rate.

Which charger do you have?

That's the one I was thinking of... dont know weather I should pay the extra £10 for the Technoline or get the 7dayshop branded version. Have you tried the discharge method? If so how long does it take?

That's the one I was thinking of... dont know weather I should pay the extra £10 for the Technoline or get the 7dayshop branded version. Have you tried the discharge method? If so how long does it take?

Have tried the discharge but it did take all night... but batteries where like new after :D

Yes, my yongnuo speedlites etc. Kids have happily helped themselves to most of my other rechargeables and therefore was thinking of having my own "photography" dedicated ones.

4 X speedlites + 1 TX controller = 18 AA batteries.
2 x RF receivers = 4 AAA batteries.

So with spares and all I am looking at approx. 6 AA packs and 2 AAA packs. Hence why I wasn't looking at another charger, although a dedicated "photography" one may help...:)
With that many batteries you need more than one charger really anyway, it'll take ages to charge them all, 2 chargers half the time. (and you have a spare if one dies)

Went with the 7dayshop version (will use my existing as spare and 2nd charger), I managed to round up approx 4 packs of the 7dayshop AA 2150's out of all the remotes and have ordered the Amazon basics for them.

Will probably pick up some eneloops next payday!

Back