Reclaiming VAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering what the position is for VAT-registered customers, do you provide a VAT invoice so that the tax can be reclaimed?

twist said:
They/you dont pay the VAT, surely you cant reclaim it?

It says on their website that the prices include VAT....

3. Will I have to pay Import taxes?

No, all import taxes/duties/VAT are covered by us. We are responsible for all additional tax charges.

Last edited:
twist said:
Im sure they are... if customs sting you.

:cautious:

That wasn't my question. They state the VAT has been paid, so I'm wondering what the procedure would be for a VAT-registered buyer to reclaim it?

Because if they answer the question here it saves others having to ask the same question :)

Or you could just email them the question and post their response here :shrug:

If they have paid VAT they should provide you with an invoice which shows a VAT number.

If you have an invoice showing a VAT number and you are VAT registered you should be able to recover the VAT in the normal way.

No VAT number - not able to reclaim VAT.

g7swz said:
If they have paid VAT they should provide you with an invoice which shows a VAT number.

If you have an invoice showing a VAT number and you are VAT registered you should be able to recover the VAT in the normal way.

No VAT number - not able to reclaim VAT.

Correct, Panamoz are collecting VAT, therefore they must be able to provide a VAT invoice and to do that they must also have VAT number from one of the EU member states.

It's a legal requirement in the EU for companies from outside the area whose business in one member state exceeds the VAT threshold to be VAT registered, but I'm sure that once they read this thread Panamoz will have no problems explaining the procedure I enquired about and posting their VAT number... :)

Just read their FAQ:

7. Are you able to issue a VAT invoice?

Please note we don't provide this service currently.

If they are paying VAT etc then I thought it was a legal requirement to list any amount of VAT that has been paid in the receipt? Maybe it is different if you order from HK.

srichards said:
Just read their FAQ:

7. Are you able to issue a VAT invoice?

Please note we don't provide this service currently.

If they are paying VAT etc then I thought it was a legal requirement to list any amount of VAT that has been paid in the receipt? Maybe it is different if you order from HK.

If they can provide a UK VAT number then they're kosher, if they cannot or will not then the only conclusion that can be drawn is that they are collecting VAT but not passing it on to HMRC.

Non-resident businesses or individuals with operations in the UK are still required to register if they meet any of the criteria for registration. Non-resident businesses or individuals who have no place of business in the UK, but are nevertheless eligible for VAT registration by merit of: supplying VAT-liable goods or services in, to, or from the UK, assuming control of a VAT-registered business, or receiving VAT liable goods from another EU country (all subject to the GBP70,000 threshold), must register as a Non-Established Taxable Person (NETP).

Last edited:
Flash In The Pan said:
It says on their website that the prices include VAT....

Where does it say that?
Far as I can see they say they cover you for such but doesnt say they actually include it in the price ;)

Flash In The Pan said:
If they can provide a UK VAT number then they're kosher, if they cannot or will not then the only conclusion that can be drawn is that they are collecting VAT but not passing it on to HMRC.

But they dont say they are collecting vat?
How are they different to say kerso who also supplies no vat details?

Last edited:
B1ts said:
Where does it say that?
Far as I can see they say they cover you for such but doesnt say they actually include it in the price ;)

Regardless of the wording they are still liable to collect and pay UK VAT, see the quote in my previous post.

Is your ;) meant to imply that it's ok as long as you don't get caught?

Last edited:
Is the courier handling all the VAT collection and panamoz settle with them instead? If they're importing lots then it would make sense to do it that way.

HMRC would know whether they had a VAT number. They don't have a UK company number so I'm not sure how you'd have a VAT registration for an HK company anyway.

srichards said:
Is the courier handling all the VAT collection and panamoz settle with them instead? If they're importing lots then it would make sense to do it that way.

HMRC would know whether they had a VAT number. They don't have a UK company number so I'm not sure how you'd have a VAT registration for an HK company anyway.
They have a UK business address, so in theory they should have both a UK company number and a UK VAT number, but even if they don't they should still be registered as a Non-Established Taxable Person (NETP) which would give them the necessary VAT number.

Last edited:
They don't quote a UK company number on the site. Just an HK one. Business address is above a jewellers in Camden. Hatton Garden.

srichards said:
They don't quote a UK company number on the site. Just an HK one. Business address is above a jewellers in Camden. Hatton Garden.

I know they don't, legally they should have both that and a UK VAT number...

I just don't know what you're trying to get at. If you're trying to claim the VAT fine but if you can't just let it be. It just feels like you're trying to stitch them up some how.

I'm sure they are just making a simple mistake in the terminology on their site. They probably just wanted to suggest that's all the customer pays in their FAQ.

It's a no brainer to want a VAT receipt if you're a business as it means another chunk off! Who wouldn't want one?!

Flash In The Pan said:

Meaning your initial question has been answered, so why aren't you off looking for a supplier who actually fulfills your requirements instead of continuing this thread?

Just wondering what the position is for VAT-registered customers, do you provide a VAT invoice so that the tax can be reclaimed?

Are you Vat registered if your not you cannot claim VAT back anyway obviously
and if you are vat registered you could only claim the vat back if it was for your business use only

Photogaz said:
I just don't know what you're trying to get at. If you're trying to claim the VAT fine but if you can't just let it be. It just feels like you're trying to stitch them up some how.

I'm sure they are just making a simple mistake in the terminology on their site. They probably just wanted to suggest that's all the customer pays in their FAQ.

In what way am I trying to "stitch them up"?

I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding too, so I'm sure Panamoz will have no qualms with confirming that UK tax is paid on the goods (and therefore reclaimable as per my original question), because the impression I'm getting is that it's not, unless they get caught.

If anyone posted a thread asking whether they should buy from an Ebay seller in HK and deliberately avoid tax then the mods would be all over it, pointing to the site's t&cs, the assumption therefore is that Panamoz are above board and the UK tax is paid and can be reclaimed...

domino1999 said:
Meaning your initial question has been answered, so why aren't you off looking for a supplier who actually fulfills your requirements instead of continuing this thread?

Where was it answered? I haven't seen a post from Panamoz...

have you purchased something from them or are you considering purchasing from them and are you vat registered Graham

Rebel t3i said:
Are you Vat registered if your not you cannot claim VAT back anyway obviously
and if you are vat registered you could only claim the vat back if it was for your business use only

OK, let's say I am VAT-registered and I want to buy a camera for business use, the question still stands, VAT is due ( and inferred to be "covered" by the seller) therefore it must be reclaimable.

Rebel t3i said:
have you purchased something from them or are you considering purchasing from them and are you vat registered Graham

Have you? If so you could help clear the matter up by posting a copy of your invoice (with your personal details obscured) and/or customs docket and we can see what they say, that should answer my question :)

OK, let's say I am VAT-registered and I want to buy a camera for business use, the question still stands, VAT is due ( and inferred to be "covered" by the seller) therefore it must be reclaimable.
if you are a vat registered company graham you have to declare the goods that you are importing as you are the importer as far as I am aware
so you would technically be breaking the law IMO

Last edited:
I'm with Graham. I get rather tired of the number of people actively promoting buying from HK companies who are clearly evading tax (namely VAT) or promoting the evasion of it.

I've said on the forum several times that the HK companies do not pay VAT- they offer a self insurance scheme incase duty is charged at the point of entry. Not only that, but several customers have commented on the package description being misleading (to put it politely).

To top this off, the same people buying from abroad then expect second hand prices to reflect the foreign market- which is patently ridiculous.

Can we please stop nudging and winking, and call a spade a spade? It's illegal activity- full stop.

Rebel t3i said:
if you are a vat registered company graham you have to declare the goods that you are importing as you are the importer as far as I am aware
so you would technically be breaking the law IMO

That's my point, Panamoz state that

all import taxes/duties/VAT are covered by us. We are responsible for all additional tax charges.

the inference there is that either a) the prices include UK taxes, or b) they prices don't include UK taxes and/or are under-declared but if the shipment gets stopped by customs then Panamoz will pony up.

If it's A then they will have a UK VAT number, if it's B then they are breaking the law, as is, as you stated, the buyer/importer.

Flash In The Pan said:

If you were VAT registered you'd probably find that buying from a UK company works out cheaper! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back