Recommend a DVD box set

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
My wife and I like to have a DVD box set on the go so that if there is nothing on the tele that we want to watch we can watch that. We normally have something fairly light and a bit soapy.

In the past we've watched:
  • Mad Men
  • Ally McBeal
  • Teachers
  • Cold Feet
  • Bothers and Sisters
  • Bob and Rose
We are coming to the end of our current box set but don't know what to watch next. Anyone able to give us some ideas?

My daughter enjoyed ER and House, wife is nearly at the end of Desperate Housewives.

Last complete series I watched was Fringe, but do have a liking for Bones and watched all of The Closer

If you haven't seen it The Sopranos is excellent, not light or soapy though

Last edited:
24, Prison Break, Fringe, The Walking Dead (ok not light!), all amazing. I'm about to start Breaking Bad...

Daughters into Game of Thrones...if you fancy soothing different

Ah yes, Game of Thrones, how could I leave that out especially as I've recently finished watching series 3! Great series, though might be a bit extreme for an Ally Mcbeal fan, lol!

The Sopranos

+1 to Game of Thrones and Walking Dead

Dexter (the early ones are much better though, it goes off the boil in the later series)

Forgot another real classic, My Name Is Earl

The Wire was also very popular, but i couldn't understand all the gangsta talk and gave up on it

The Shield is also very good, one if the best cop dramas ever IMO.

The good wife, numbers. Both Tony and Ridley Scott.

Boston legal and suits are also very good.

Due south. Northern exposure if you like a classic.

Grimm. It's by the chap that did charmed. Fairy tales, supernatural and crime drama mushed together.

Grimm. It's by the chap that did charmed. Fairy tales, supernatural and crime drama mushed together.
Oh yes I forgot Boston Legal ! Great series and proof that William Shatner is actually a pretty decent actor.

Another real goodie is Murder One and Buffy had its moments too, just so many to choose from

If you want a UK series give Ultraviolet a go, early appearance from Idris Elba and the always excellent Susannah Harker

Last edited:
"Orange is the New Black" would fit the bill. House of Cards if you like political drama or even Deadwood if you like a western.

I don't think Tony has much to do with those anymore...

Also agree with Suz......Northern Exposure is brilliant.

Life on Mars, definitely. Followed by Ashes to Ashes.
I won't spoil it but the last episode of Ashes to Ashes, was just amazing. I sat back and clapped......

One i really liked was Steven Spielberg Taken

Others one i have really liked
The Shield
Walking Dead
Game of Throne
Sherlock
Ripper Street
Band of Bothers
Pacific
Dexter
Breaking Bad
:)

Last edited:
Some crackers mentioned
My name is earl
Spooks
Life on Mars
Ashes to ashes
Game of Thrones
Rome was pretty good also

I'm about to start Breaking Bad...
You're in for a treat, Jim :) We've just fiishsed Season 2.
I'm also a huge GoT fan - neither GoT or BB fit the "fairly light & soapy" description, but outstanding quality.
House - really enjoyed this, but felt it was probably one and a half season too long - not an uncommon view with US series, if something's pulling in the cash, they find it hard to anything otter than add more episodes per season and then more season...

Another vote for The Walking Dead. Excellent. Just finished series 3 and dejected that I havent got anymore to watch now. So, been taking an interest in this thread for ideas also.

No ones mentioned Homeland yet, is that any good?

I thoroughly recommend "Elementary" - a US take on Sherlock Holnmes with a few twists. I much prefer it to the new UK version. It is on Atlantic channel on Sky - but at least season 1 is in a box set.

Stars Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu.

Don't know if it is available yet as a full set but mad dogs was brilliant.

[qu ote="DorsetDude, post: 6300276, member: 30090"]Another vote for The Walking Dead. Excellent. Just finished series 3 and dejected that I havent got anymore to watch now. So, been taking an interest in this thread for ideas also.

No ones mentioned Homeland yet, is that any good?[/quote]
Yes it's excellent, again, I can't believe I forgot that in my first post!

Thanks for all the great ideas guys. A couple which I forgot to mention before that we've also watched when they were on tv are Heroes, Sherlock, Hustle and Flashforward.

I've watched Ripper Street and Whitechapel but they're not something my wife would enjoy.

We have Elementary on DVD to watch actually

[qu ote="DorsetDude, post: 6300276, member: 30090"]Another vote for The Walking Dead. Excellent. Just finished series 3 and dejected that I havent got anymore to watch now. So, been taking an interest in this thread for ideas also.

No ones mentioned Homeland yet, is that any good?
Yes it's excellent, again, I can't believe I forgot that in my first post![/quote]

First season of Homeland is excellent.
It dips off after that IMO.

Agree with everyone about The Wire, not one to watch if you prefer to avoid violence and swearing though.

If it's available as box sets (guess everything is nowadays) NCIS is fun and not too demanding. Enjoy it a little less now Ziva the one-woman ninja killing machine isn't in it any more though.

Babylon 5 if you like scifi. It has a story with a beginning, a middle and an end. Then another end, when it got renewed for a fifth season after they rushed through the story in the fourth thinking it was to be the last.

If you want a UK series give Ultraviolet a go, early appearance from Idris Elba and the always excellent Susannah Harker
Superb. Nice to see other people still remember it, C4 used to put out some good stuff, well, they still do, it just feels like there used to be more. Agree about Susannah Harker, she's always good in everything she does.

Yes it's excellent, again, I can't believe I forgot that in my first post!

First season of Homeland is excellent.
It dips off after that IMO.
I thought it improved with series 2 personally, now waiting for series 3 on Bluray, along with series 4 of the Walking Dead (STILL no release date yet, grrrr!)

Just realised nobody has mentioned one of the best ever productions, Das Boot

The original version is great, so good you don't even notice the subtitles after a short while

Reactions: ST4
Back