and all of the cut outs for the pages are square on line
my photos are rectangle
and when cropping them i find it cuts out a lot of the photo
any ideas to rectify this
thankyou
B

Well if cropping 'does not work' how about:-

A) find an album supplier who does not date back to the days of TLR Rollies

B) trade your gear in and buy a Hasselblad or Phase 1 (square) medium format.

HTH ;)

PS if you have used them before and been happy, why is there a problem now???

Last edited:
the photo album im working on only has square templates
i have rectangle photos and there is no room to crop them
i want to keep all the info in the photo is this possible Kodiak

Well as above (by Box Brownie), really. You know what you want from your photos, so why bend to a format that in your eyes makes them suffer?

It can be quite instructive to crop images. Traditionally I've shot in 3:2 format, and looked into printing 16" x 12" (there are many mounts, sleeves etc in that format) which would entail a lateral crop to 4:3. I have no issue with 3:4 in its own right. But my images at the time of taking are framed quite precisely in the viewfinder, thus cropping as significantly as that was turning them into different animals that almost universally were less satisfying than the originals.

It's your choice.

But your only choice with the squares is to add flanking borders to the image files, but that's going to look a bit naff, isn't it?

Last edited:
I guess you could add border to fill the square? The border over the top and bottom would be wider than on the sides to make it square....might work to have the top and side borders the same size and include captions in the big border at the bottom? I doubt it would look good though so better to find an album with rectangular templates or ask the supplier if they can adapt the template to rectangular? Good luck!

An alternative would be to expand the canvas to turn the rectangular format with its intended composition into as droj says a not so pleasing squate format.

There are companies that offer such services for not a lot of money per image/print.........but surely a comprise too far???

i want to keep all the info in the photo is this possible Kodiak

Sure!

I layout magazines every week and juggling with
shapes in other shapes is bread and butter, really!

Tell your story in a rectangle (V or H) and frame it
in a square… without losing a word of it!

I guess you could add border to fill the square? The border over the top and bottom would be wider than on the sides to make it square....might work to have the top and side borders the same size and include captions in the big border at the bottom? I doubt it would look good though so better to find an album with rectangular templates or ask the supplier if they can adapt the template to rectangular? Good luck!

Agh!!! borders IMO in such an album would look so wrong...........!

Sure!

Daniel, is something being lost in translation......she is AFAIK talking about a wedding album likely digital because mentions online. Not a magazine layout where you might place a rectangular image somewhere within a square bounding box and then wordwrap the copy around the image.

Or have entirely misunderstood your last reply above?

Sure!

V or h i dont understand

is something being lost in translation

Nope, I think I understand ok.

Magazine or album… it is still occupying a
two dimensional space by a smaller one,
using that space creatively. :cool:

Daniel, is something being lost in translation......she is AFAIK talking about a wedding album likely digital because mentions online. Not a magazine layout where you might place a rectangular image somewhere within a square bounding box and then wordwrap the copy around the image.

Or have entirely misunderstood your last reply above?
Your right its a digital online job so kinda stuck with there templates

Clearly she is stuck....so what would you suggest as options as to what to fill the space with in a wedding album??? Bearing mind she will to satisfy the B&G with the design layout.

Last edited:
so what would you suggest as options

For one, frame your photo the way you want,
extend the canvas to the album size and maybe
talk to the client and see if something cool could
be written in the extended canvas– or leave the
canvas blank and frame in your take creatively!

Clearly she is stuck....so what would you suggest as options as to what to fill the space with in a wedding album??? Bearing mind she will to satisfy the B&G with the design layout.

Change supplier given the option of redoing the photos with a square camera in not on.

I see, something along the lines.......though more creatively than I suggested on post #7

Yes, possibly a very creative possibility but IMO the purchase cost discount the OP mentions would likely be swallowed and then even more cost due extended post processing (not including the additional client consultation to get approvals ~ more choice equals more time taken by the client to decide!!)

Further to that I surmise the package cost has been agreed, therefore any extras hourage equals reduced profit.

all of the cut outs for the pages are square on line
my photos are rectangle
and when cropping them i find it cuts out a lot of the photo
This might be a stupid question, but if you *knew* in advance that the photos would have to be square to fit the album template, why didn't you bear that in mind when you took them? OK, I know that doesn't help you right now, but next time...

I'm finding it hard to know what to suggest about your current problem though, without seeing what the finished pages are supposed to look like. If the template puts any kind of border around the images, then padding out a rectangular image to fit within a square border will look incredibly stupid. But if not, then padding out a rectangular image with white edges either side, and placing it on a white page, it won't necessarily be apparent what shape the image "should" be.

One thing I'd suggest, though, is mixing things up a bit. If you crop 90% of your images to be square and leave 10% rectangular, that probably won't look good - it will be obvious that they are all supposed to be square. But if you create a good mix of squares and rectangles, or leave them all as rectangles, it won't be obvious what you've done.

Finally, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's thinking that if you could post a couple of examples (screen shots perhaps) of the templates you're using, it will make it easier for us to suggest ways to approach it.

Last edited:
This might be a stupid question, but if you *knew* in advance that the photos would have to be square to fit the album template, why didn't you bear that in mind when you took them? OK, I know that doesn't help you right now, but next time...

I'm finding it hard to know what to suggest about your current problem though, without seeing what the finished pages are supposed to look like. If the template puts any kind of border around the images, then padding out a rectangular image to fit within a square border will look incredibly stupid. But if not, then padding out a rectangular image with white edges either side, and placing it on a white page, it won't necessarily be apparent what shape the image "should" be.

One thing I'd suggest, though, is mixing things up a bit. If you crop 90% of your images to be square and leave 10% rectangular, that probably won't look good - it will be obvious that they are all supposed to be square. But if you create a good mix of squares and rectangles, or leave them all as rectangles, it won't be obvious what you've done.

Finally, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's thinking that if you could post a couple of examples (screen shots perhaps) of the templates you're using, it will make it easier for us to suggest ways to approach it.
Not a stupid question at all
each time i bring the camera to my eye my brian frames the picture
no matter how much i tell mysef give more room it never happens
its like im losing something,i must have something like auto framing( Old habits.com)

i have taken your suggestion and mixed up the formats so all is good in the hood album is gone to be printed
Thanks to all for your input

They have an album with Acrylic front plus i get a 50% discount on all orders
I'm sorry to have to point this out but your choice of supplier ought to involve producing a product you and your client love, not whether you get a discount.

Are you talking square pages? Or is it that all the apertures are square only?
Is there an option to design your own pages elsewhere?

no wonder he is offering a discount... who ever has heard of being forced to use square format .

I'm sorry to have to point this out but your choice of supplier ought to involve producing a product you and your client love, not whether you get a discount.

Are you talking square pages? Or is it that all the apertures are square only?
Is there an option to design your own pages elsewhere?
A difficult balance to keep price right
the customer is happy with the product
I’m happy with the price
i just forgot to shape them according to there rules Square aperture

A difficult balance to keep price right
the customer is happy with the product
I’m happy with the price
Is there not an option to create square montages from multiple images?

Re price: I'd rather give a customer a great product at the right price with an 100% markup than something that ruined my images at 200% markup.

I've had a glance on their website, I could see a few montages shown.

If their software doesn't make it easy, there's loads of album design packages you could use from free to expensive, from easy to use to simple.

india tarred feathered pitchforks I’m lost on that one
Don't worry about @TLR-330 by his title he is 'clearly' a square ;) and cross referencing you to another person hereabouts.

[note ref his title ~ Mamiya 330 Twin Lens Reflex 2 1/4inch on 120 size film for the youngsters on TP :LOL: ]

Last edited:
Take my comment(s) with a large pinch of salt. Once upon a time I was going to study photography but along the way I found other things and did those instead. No regrets for my choices. Post redundancy/retirement I got myself all the gear and have no idea. Zoom lenses, wonderful i can frame so much closer (and a bit more) than I ever could. Autofocus wonderful but the focus thing keeps moving where I don't want it to go. I have only tried to photograph horses and found a lot of my photos had the animals on the right edge of the frame (portrait mode) and far too often the hooves chopped. What I learned was that my solution until - if ever - I get used to the camera was to zoom a bit less. Become aware and don't frame so tight. You will still have enough pixels to crop the way you want.

BTW. If your album was not square does it mean all your photos would have to be "landscape" style?

Is there not an option to create square montages from multiple images?

Re price: I'd rather give a customer a great product at the right price with an 100% markup than something that ruined my images at 200% markup.
i Agree
and having done my research i narrowed it down to loxley,sim,nphoto
nphoto came in second to loxley and my customers price point
but then they ran a promo suggesting anyone who can get three photographers to to join them gets a 50% discount for life it was a no brainer for me

i Agree
and having done my research i narrowed it down to loxley,sim,nphoto
nphoto came in second to loxley and my customers price point
but then they ran a promo suggesting anyone who can get three photographers to to join them gets a 50% discount for life it was a no brainer for me
Montages?

Back