Review Redsnapper RSF-284 Tripod

Edit My Images
No
Redsnapper RSF-284
I’ll keep this short; I have owned a cheap tripod from when I started with a DSLR four years ago, so this is a upgrade to a better tripod. I have handled other well-known makes (double the cost models) but can’t really compare, but would say it is well built and not what I would class ‘budget’.
I went for the RSF-284 over the RST-283 mainly because I liked the more compact size of it. I’ve taken pics of the tripod folded (legs fold back 180 to save space) and an iPhone next to it, to give an idea of size. The tripod feels very solid, but isn’t the lightest (nor too heavy for me). I really like the versatility of it, each leg offers different angles and of course height. An added bonus is the fact that one leg can be used as a monopod. The feet are rubber, but screw back to reveal spikes if needed. I got the tripod with the RSH-12 ball head and with this fitted it still fits in the bag, talking of which it is very well made and comes with a shoulder strap and an internal pocket with spare parts and a smaller centre column.

I have taken a few pictures to show the tripod. If anybody has any questions I’d be happy to try and answer them.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjE697p1

8498444794_c9147243cb_z.jpg

8497339743_e516cd46bd_z.jpg

8497339037_286d063a84_z.jpg

8498443226_5f7e5e25cf_z.jpg

Last edited:
Hi good review, just a few questions iam thinking of buying one of these with the smaller ball head for use with some binocs weighing 1.5kg, how stable is it full extended? And how much vertical movement does the ballhead have ie pointing up at stars when stargazing? Cheers

Good review, many thanks. Regarding the bag, is the zip plastic or metal? I've had a redsnapper bag, for my tripod, but had to buy a new one due to the rubbish zip.

Hi good review, just a few questions iam thinking of buying one of these with the smaller ball head for use with some binocs weighing 1.5kg, how stable is it full extended? And how much vertical movement does the ballhead have ie pointing up at stars when stargazing? Cheers

With it being a little heavier, the upside is it is solid and fairly stable. But it does have the sprung hook to hang a weight or your bag on if you wanted to try and add more stability.

As for vertical movement, it's my first ball head and it does offer a lot of different movements fairly easy. The panning movement is very fluid.

8511703497_6ee8c9d062_z.jpg

8511703873_7441948e95_z.jpg

Good review, many thanks. Regarding the bag, is the zip plastic or metal? I've had a redsnapper bag, for my tripod, but had to buy a new one due to the rubbish zip.

Zip is plastic, but puller is metal. Seems well built.
Only thing I would say here, is reading other posts, if I did have any issues contacting redsnapper seems to have great success. They seem to be very keen to sort any issues or improve there products.

8511704545_718da22970_z.jpg

Zip is plastic, but puller is metal. Seems well built.
Only thing I would say here, is reading other posts, if I did have any issues contacting redsnapper seems to have great success. They seem to be very keen to sort any issues or improve there products.

I did sent them an email, the time it happened (and I think I posted it on their thread here), but didn't get a reply :shrug:

Not a big issue as I saw the bag as an addition so wasn't too concerned about buying a different bag for the tripod.

Is it quick to set up and mount the camera on the head?

Quick release plate I leave fitted to the camera. It's just a couple of seconds tightening the screw up to fasten it to the tripod. The tripod legs take a couple of minutes to pull out, but I think it's fairly quick, I can't see any other tripod being loads faster.

Thanks buddy for the pics think i will defo go for one of these now. :)

I made my mind up when I had a look at what else I could get for the same money. I think it's good value for money, and don't forget the 10% discount.

Just got my rst 283 with 12 ballhead and iam very impressed tripods very sturdy even fully extended with my large binocs. Dont forget the 10% discount too.

Interesting, I just looked on the redsnapper site, it doesn't mention monopod conversion ability, wonder if that's still on the new models.

Redsnapper guys tell me a new model of 284 is coming out in a few months offering monopod conversion capability again.

This seems to be very similar to my Giottos one. Can I ask - do you take the head off the tripod to attach to the monopod?

I accept that for travelling it's handy to fold the legs right round over the head, but I do find this a bit of a fiddle and I usually leave mine in the ready to go position. Thankfully my bag has a zip that lets you leave the legs sticking out on one side. Is this the same? (Just thought it might be useful to let others know)

I've seen a fair few tripods with this design, Like above its very similar to the Giottos Vitruvian. I had one of these and I wasn't too impressed with the twist lock on the legs.

Redsnapper make some very good stuff, and I nearly bought the 284 myself. but bought a Manfrotto befree instead because I wanted a different tripod setup, but I did buy a Redsnapper RSH-61 Ball Head to go with it instead of using the supplied Manfrotto head because the Redsnapper has a separate pan lock. I also swapped over the quick release plate as I preffer the Manfrotto instead of the Redsnapper swiss arca design.

View attachment 7805

Last edited:
Been looking at getting a half decent tripod and must admit these redsnapper ones look great value for money,the rst283 with ball head looks a bargain for under £80

Hmmm just about to pull the trigger on the RSF-284 tripod & RSH-12 Ball Head & the additional RSH-528 3-Way Panning Head

Got as far as the 'Coupon Code' put in RED10 and got the message

The specified coupon code expired on 01/03/2014.

So am a bit bamboozled what to do next, any ideas?

Last edited:
Joe fixed it, all is well, order sent :)

Looking forward to getting mine,just purchased rsf-284 with ball head for £40 from classifieds.They look pretty decent

Which ball head was it ? redsnapper do two

It's not crap, it's actually going to be lighter than my 12 Ball & considering that your head retails for £25 & the tripod for £70 you got a good bargain.

Cheers..tbh it was an impulse buy and will only be using my sigma merrills on it so more than adequate I'm sure :cool:

It'll be fine, it holds my fuji HS50 on fulll zoom just fine, it's very substantial and solid (not terribly light) but I prefer solid to rickety.

Yeah I wanted something fairly solid as I am playing about with long exposures on the dp2m and have a marumi +5 for the dp3m for the odd macro.

I'll have to write up a review. Yours should have the short centre column and the legs go flat spread out so you can really go quite low.

That sounds good..It certainly looks versatile enough for my needs.

Well turned up today..wasnt the rsf 284 that the seller claimed it was but the older rs284 but was mint and for £40 couldnt go far wrong.Lovely tripod and very well built.

Yeah was fun! The newer version has legs that fold back 180 degrees over the ball head making it more compact and also udated mechanisms etc.I will also say a big thanks to Joe at redsnapper who has been very helpfull today and still reckons it was worth the money but would have been nice to know it was the older model. It is very well made though and impressed with the ball head.I have had some manfrotto stuff that didnt feel as well made.Seller did offer a full refund to be fair.

Last edited:
Back