Remove blue cast from birds chest.

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all!
Been trying all morning to get rid of the blue cast from this Puffins chest but I have not had great results as I can see where I have made changes which is not good. I used Hue Saturation selecting the blue channel on that area but not good lol Can you suggest another way ? I know most folks wont notice the blue on him but I do and find it annoying.

Puffin... by Cooriedoon, on Flickr

I use the white balance dropper tool in canon DPP.
Works for me although you can use manual tone adjustment.

depends on what software you are using.

In LR or camera raw you could use an adjustment brush to brush over the chest with a colour white adjustment.

In Photoshop you could use a colour balance adjustment layer with a layer mask to target the chest.

To me the colours look natural as they are. It's a bright sunny day so you are going to get bounced light from the sea, rocks etc.

Last edited:

In LR or camera raw you could use an adjustment brush to brush over the chest with a colour white adjustment.

In Photoshop you could use a colour balance adjustment layer with a layer mask to target the chest.

To me the colours look natural as they are. It's a bright sunny day so you are going to get bounced light from the sea, rocks etc.

Elliott I can never get my Lightroom brushes to work when I click new they never reset and the - brush never works either it will be me ofcourse but I tend to use Photoshop mostly because of this.I will try another hue sat adjustment layer and see how that goes.Thank you :)

Cathy, open up Photoshop, and use a hue/saturation adjustment layer. Choose the blue channel from the drop down menu.

Drag the saturation slider to the left until you like the effect on the chest.

Then click ctrl+I (cmd+I on a mac) so the box on the layer goes black. Choose a soft brush, and paint over the chest areas you want to target. Job done!

Mike

:agree:

White will reflect what it sees…

Tis a lovely shot Cathy and I can see why you want to remove the blue to the white feathers

Done exactly as Mike suggests, didn't take me two minutes to download, open in Elements 15, adjust the blue channel, create a layer mask and use a small soft edge brush on the effected area

Edit- I've had another quick look and brought the highlights down around the eye the best I can too Cathy, same method

41358538220_3c6b29b00b_b 2.jpg

Last edited:
Tis a lovely shot Cathy and I can see why you want to remove the blue to the white feathers

Done exactly as Mike suggests, didn't take me two minutes to download, open in Elements 15, adjust the blue channel, create a layer mask and use a small soft edge brush on the effected area

Edit- I've had another quick look and brought the highlights down around the eye the best I can too Cathy, same method

View attachment 129761

Thank you Bill it looks better than I managed. I dont think I will get rid of it all no matter what and probably being too fussy.lol

Yes I know you are right but my eye just kept seeing that blue patch

This is all part of the learning process, Cathy.

Learning…
  1. how far to go and learning when to stop
  2. what you should have control over and what should be left as natural
  3. what is technical and what is artistic intent
This takes its time and letting it mature is the key! :cool:

Just a little input from a total amateur hobbyist,
Yes I understand your critical eyes and wanting to perfect it according to what you see as 100%.
I just want to say ,yes all I see is a beautiful puffin,also in Phil’s edit all I see is a beautiful puffin with a slightly different colour cast[if I was looking for it].

I’m learning to use pastels in an art class and obsess over every detail so I get your angst but just wanted to say it’s a lovely puffin shot.:D

just had a little play with that photo. if you reduce the blue in the sky that will stop it "leaking" onto the bird which is what it is doing at the moment

7peF8zg.jpg

blue sky reduced
fi2MLUx.jpg

then if necessary work from that for anything else

Last edited:
just had a little play with that photo. if you reduce the blue in the sky that will stop it "leaking" onto the bird which is what it is doing at the moment

then if necessary work from that for anything else

Bazza I can see what you mean and it does reduce the look of the blue a lot.Thank you for your help I will have a go at this way too .
Cathy

For your convenience, you could make a bit retouch there via Black & White adjustment layer in Photoshop. This is the other procedure instead of hue/saturation adjustment layer.

https://imgur.com/lgHtnAC
Rose thank you for your help :)
Bluecast.jpg

I have never used the black and white layer like this so it was new for me. I copied what you suggested and then picked a colour from his tummy and gently pained over my reslut in the blue area and took the opacity down and got this result. Looks better but not sure if it looks too fake.

Thank you everyone I appreciate all your thoughts on this one and have tried all suggestions. When going through my other images from that day they pretty much all had the same colour cast and way too many images to fuss about lol.
I posted most of them as they were on flickr and no one has mentioned there is a blue cast so I am happy.
Cathy

Agree - there's nothing wrong with it all. Some of the edit's have taken far too much blue out of the sky.

I would leave it as is. You do get a little bit of blue cast in the shadows reflecting from the sky. It is natural.

In general it is quite easy to make colour changes like this. Ideally make a selection first to make sure the edits do not bleed out into the sky and then use a brush in photoshop first in saturation mode then in hue mode as desired. Obviously all must be done at lower opacity and maximum feathering.

Back