Beginner Removing heavily blurred wire fence in foreground

Name
Rebecca
Edit My Images
Yes
Hiya,
I take a lot of photos of animals that are in wire fence enclosures in zoo's and farm parks (primarily the farm park I work at). A big issue I've got with some of my photos is that in the foreground you can see a light grid of the very much out of focus wire fencing. I've tried editing it in Lightroom with local adjustments, but either it's simply not the best way to go about it or I don't know how to do it properly. I haven't touched photoshop in years and even when I used to know my way around it, I didn't have that knowledge. Would anyone have any advice for me? Got so many lovely shots of some of our animals, that are just not perfect due to this issue. Thanks in advance!

Here's a photo I took today of one of our lynxes to show what I mean!
View media item 107862

Hi Rebecca and welcome to TP

Unfortunately your media & link is not accessible/viewable :(
PS once you have posted it ok for viewing do please include exif info (shutter speed, aperture and iso)

Last edited:
I'm g
Hi Rebecca and welcome to TP

Unfortunately your media & link is not accessible/viewable :(
PS once you have posted it ok for viewing do please include exif info (shutter speed, aperture and iso)
I'm guessing that because she's a new member, she hasn't posted enough to be able to post links.

I'm g

I'm guessing that because she's a new member, she hasn't posted enough to be able to post links.

A good point..... @ToveRebeccaPhotography AFAIK if you have or get a free Flickr account I think, even as a new member, you can either embed the image or if not place a link.......but hopefully embed it as sadly we do get new members with mischievous intent post links to spurious & suspect content. FWIW I very rarely if ever will click on unknown content links!

Use a fairly long lens... 200mm plus if possible. Shoot from fairly close to the fence with the subject at least a few feet plus away from the fence. Open lens up f2.8... f4... f5.6 and focus carefully . With a bit of practice the fence will simply disappear.

Hiya,
I take a lot of photos of animals that are in wire fence enclosures in zoo's and farm parks (primarily the farm park I work at). A big issue I've got with some of my photos is that in the foreground you can see a light grid of the very much out of focus wire fencing. I've tried editing it in Lightroom with local adjustments, but either it's simply not the best way to go about it or I don't know how to do it properly. I haven't touched photoshop in years and even when I used to know my way around it, I didn't have that knowledge. Would anyone have any advice for me? Got so many lovely shots of some of our animals, that are just not perfect due to this issue. Thanks in advance!

View media item 107862
Use a fairly long lens... 200mm plus if possible. Shoot from fairly close to the fence with the subject at least a few feet plus away from the fence. Open lens up f2.8... f4... f5.6 and focus carefully . With a bit of practice the fence will simply disappear.

I would surmise with the privileged access she has that she can put the lens up against the fence......ideally the fence with be of a coarse enough weave/grid so that the major proportion of the lens will 'see' through the grid pattern. But even if there are thin wires across in a smaller weave it should be possible to effectively make them invisible in the final image.

So apart from exif hopefully she will advise the lens in use and just how close she can get to the fence???

I'm g

Just spotted another new member and that one has added a couple of pictures into their media file, so none too clear but maybe a permissions setup matter in @ToveRebeccaPhotography TP profile settings???

It's not an easy job, I've never been that successful in totally losing the wire,
Your best option is to avoid it in the first place by either making sure the sun isn't reflecting on the wire or, if you
are allowed put your lens hood right on the wire so you can shout through the holes
Other option is a longer lens and larger aperture to reduce depth of field so the wire is fazed out

What camera/lenses are you using ?

Hiya,

View media item 107862

If you have Photoshop it may be worth watching this YouTube Tutorial on removing a wire fence.
It looks quite tricky but he explains everything really well.

One I did many years ago in PS Elements 2...I think standards have improved in the meantime.;)ResizerImage1000X708.jpg

Last edited:

Thank you for the advice Gerry, but Brian is correct - it is the editing side I need a hand with in this particular instance. It is something I implement already, as much as I can. But sometimes it's just not possible depending on where the animal is in the enclosure, or where I am able to stand in relation to it. If only my photo would actually show (I uploaded it to my gallery here and then embedded it, as I thought it was only external links that weren't allowed until you've posted 3 times) then you would see what I mean :)

@ToveRebeccaPhotography

I can now see you image in your OP :)

PS can you tell us what lens you used and for the image you posted the aperture used plus approx how far from the closest fence you were???

Last edited:
It's not an easy job, I've never been that successful in totally losing the wire,
Your best option is to avoid it in the first place by either making sure the sun isn't reflecting on the wire or, if you
are allowed put your lens hood right on the wire so you can shout through the holes
Other option is a longer lens and larger aperture to reduce depth of field so the wire is fazed out

What camera/lenses are you using ?
Thank you Gremlin. I know how to avoid getting the fence in the way, but some photos just don't turn out the way I hoped due to the position of the animal and/or where I am in relation to the fence. The main lens that I use when doing these photos is a Tamron 70-300mm Tele-macro lens, on my Canon EOS 650D body.

One I did many years ago in PS Elements 2...I think standards have improved in the meantime.;)View attachment 279729

Thank you EJB! That looks like a good result, and I'd probably have more luck if the wire wasn't so blurred. Now that I've responded to a few people on this thread I'm hoping my photo will be visible so everyone can see what issue I'm having :ROFLMAO:

Just to clarify, I don't work with the animals (my job is on reception/gift shop), so unfortunately I'm not allowed any closer to the animals than any of our visitors due to safety regulations.

Equipment and settings;
Body: Canon EOS 650d
Lens: Tamron 70-300mm Tele-macro
Settings: ISO-800, f/4 , 1/1250sec , 114mm .

@ToveRebeccaPhotography

I can now see you image in your OP :)

PS can you tell us what lens you used and for the image you posted the aperture used plus approx how far from the closest fence you were???

Just to clarify, I don't work with the animals (my job is on reception/gift shop), so unfortunately I'm not allowed any closer to the animals than any of our visitors due to safety regulations. I was about 3 feet away from the front fence, and the animal was a further 8-9ft I'm guessing.

Equipment and settings;

This edit is in no way an attempt to remove the fence (as I have little idea or experience of doing what to me is a complex task) but more an edit to mitigate for its presence and to try to diminish its visual impact and 'bring out the beauty of the Lynx'. This was three steps in Photoshop version 6
NB in my haste this is somewhat overcooked but hopefully shows what is possible without extensive PP'ing to remove the fence???

editIMG_1978.jpg

compared to your original
IMG_1978.JPG

PS gardening chores calling so if this appeals to you I edit later today to add the steps details..................but which version of PS have you got as one step is "Smart Sharpen".

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I don't work with the animals (my job is on reception/gift shop), so unfortunately I'm not allowed any closer to the animals than any of our visitors due to safety regulations. I was about 3 feet away from the front fence, and the animal was a further 8-9ft I'm guessing.

Equipment and settings;

Ah! I thought you were able perhaps to get more privileged access ~ a pity :(

FWIW I (as others perhaps at TP have done) been to photographic days at such places and the access given is great whereby I was able to place the lens against the inner fence.

Hiya,

View media item 107862

Like this you mean????

Les :)

ho6Vpg3.jpg

Like this you mean????

ho6Vpg3.jpg
@Lez325
A nice bit of masking and BG replacement et al.

A lovely interpretation and perhaps a tad hyperreal........but hats off to you, some skill shown that I have never attempted :D

Like this you mean????

ho6Vpg3.jpg
That does look amazing, but I'm not looking to remove him from the enclosure, simply removing the front fence so it doesn't disturb the view of the animal. I can still see the grid of the fence in front, but am not on my laptop just now so can't compare with the original if it's less than before!

This edit is in no way an attempt to remove the fence (as I have little idea or experience of doing what to me is a complex task) but more an edit to mitigate for its presence and to try to diminish its visual impact and 'bring out the beauty of the Lynx'. This was three steps in Photoshop version 6
NB in my haste this is somewhat overcooked but hopefully shows what is possible without extensive PP'ing to remove the fence???

View attachment 279753

compared to your original
View attachment 279754

PS gardening chores calling so if this appeals to you I edit later today to add the steps details..................but which version of PS have you got as one step is "Smart Sharpen".

That does look nice, but if I can I would like to be able to remove the fence. The image I uploaded was straight out of the camera so I will still be adjusting all the levels for colour/contrast/sharpen etc etc. I mainly use Light room classic to be honest, only ever dip in to Photoshop if something more serious needs doing (like this I guess), and I haven't even used it in a couple of years I think. I'm subscribing to Adobe creative cloud so I'm assuming I've got access to the latest version.

That does look nice, but if I can I would like to be able to remove the fence. The image I uploaded was straight out of the camera so I will still be adjusting all the levels for colour/contrast/sharpen etc etc. I mainly use Light room classic to be honest, only ever dip in to Photoshop if something more serious needs doing (like this I guess), and I haven't even used it in a couple of years I think. I'm subscribing to Adobe creative cloud so I'm assuming I've got access to the latest version.

I can also remove just the fence- but I would need a larger image to start with :) not to mention a few spare hours

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is a special photo and you are prepared to put in the time, here is a video that shows you how to remove the fence. Results may be better with one that is less out of focus and more easily selected, I’m not sure.

This is a brilliant channel for photoshop skills.

View: https://youtu.be/yBCj8Kg9lZg

Edit: sorry, just realised this is the same video as linked to already

Last edited:
If it is a special photo and you are prepared to put in the time, here is a video that shows you how to remove the fence. Results may be better with one that is less out of focus and more easily selected, I’m not sure.

This is a brilliant channel for photoshop skills.

View: https://youtu.be/yBCj8Kg9lZg

Edit: sorry, just realised this is the same video as linked to already
That's a very clever technique that he demonstrates, but it is dealing with a fence that is quite sharply focussed.
In the example posted by the OP the fence is very blurred and out of focus, so I'm not so sure his technique will work so well.
Worth a try though.

That's a very clever technique that he demonstrates, but it is dealing with a fence that is quite sharply focussed.
In the example posted by the OP the fence is very blurred and out of focus, so I'm not so sure his technique will work so well.
Worth a try though.

Yes that’s what I thought. It would work better if it’s less out of focus.

I would just press my lens hood tight to the fence and avoid all of this :)

Back