Reynard The Fox.

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
I went looking for the Crossbills again this morning and arrived just in time to see two naff off into the next county! :bang:

Still -I did get lucky and bumped into these guys - there were actually two of them. They were very wary, and I never succeeded in getting both in one shot. The light was really dire and I was shooting into a dense dark wood with the 300mm 2.8L wide open at 1600 ISO, so I'm chuffed with the way these have turned out all things considered. I was only getting 1/200th max - less at times.

3447609560_e31bcf2abe_o.jpg

3446796891_2530a98fa1_o.jpg

3447609968_956f80f033_o.jpg

3446797261_5d9e5d66db_o.jpg

My favourite of the bunch I think...

3446797465_9ecb7299a3_o.jpg

All at 1600 ISO with the 50D and 300mm 2.8L.

Superb Cedric, especially considering the shooting conditions :eek:

My fave is No4 but they're all top drawer :)

WOW, amazing. especially with low light but more than ever, the poses and beauty. I do hope your proud......?

Thanks guys. Hell yeah, I'm pleased with them, but a couple of stops better light would have been nice. :D

It's one of those impenetrable fir plantations where the upper branches have all grown together - the only way you'd get through there is on your hands and knees, so they've got a pretty safe environment there I'd say. I know some people detest them, and with good reason, but they're undeniably beautiful creatures.

Beautiful pictures. We had a family of 4 foxes in the garden at our old house. We moved just before Christmas and I've not seen one fox since. I do miss them.

#4 for me
not that the others are bad, just #4 has excellent eye contact! :clap:

wow...

fantastic! must have made up for the birds doing a bunk:LOL:

Thats cute......;)

Very good images Cedric,very good..............(y)

Can only agree with whats been said already ,(y)

Great set CT . Pin sharp :clap: Only thing, I thought you bought the 300 mm 2.8 for [MRS CT ] :naughty: :LOL:

Great set CT . Pin sharp :clap: Only thing, I thought you bought the 300 mm 2.8 for [MRS CT ] :naughty: :LOL:

LOL. I did and she loves it, but she was at work today. :D

First time I've used the lens in anger and I'm just glad I picked it up on the way out today instead of the 500mm f4 - I'd really have struggled with it in that light.

The downside is they're all very big crops compared to what they'd have been with the 500mm, and that's amplified the bg noise - it's actually negligeble in the 1:1 files.

Great example of 1 stop of light can make the different's between getting the shot or not . The 300 seem's to handle the large crops very well not lost much detail in the subject . Pity about the light , but the lens has done you proud . A set i would be very proud of (y) Hope [MRS CT] gets to enjoy the lens , sounds to be somebody else has taken a shine to it :)

Hope [MRS CT] gets to enjoy the lens , sounds to be somebody else has taken a shine to it :)

:D It's most definitely Jan's lens, she's getting pretty keen these days, and for small birds I'd take the 500mm every time for the extra reach. Obviously, the fox being a much larger critter than a long tailed tit has made all the difference to me getting away with these shots though. The performance of the 300mm with a 2XTC has exceeded all expectations and it's lived on the lens since we got it, in fact the fox was the first time the lens has been used sans converter where the speed really paid off.

The reduced weight of the 300mm is seductive at times without a doubt though, I yomped about 4 miles a few weeks ago with the 500mm and body on me back in the long lens case and to say I was bolloxed at the end of it would be the under-statement of the year! I'm just so glad I didn't get the 600mm.

2 stops of light sorts out the men from the boys ;) :)

Excellent, all good but No3 is my pick

This was the first shot when curiosity started to get the better of them. Its full frame and uncropped. The lack of noise at this ISO and in the prevailing light is remarkable!

3449203141_fac16cc107_o.jpg

I should put this one up for a caption contest - I wonder what he's saying? :D

3449203225_118d404ff9_o.jpg

Did you do much PP CT

No pp at all apart from levels. The only one with NR is No3 (just on the bg) It's the biggest crop of the lot so the noise was really showing well. :D

I wonder what he's saying? :D

3449203225_118d404ff9_o.jpg

"Its ok, that ain`t Frac".......:p

All joking apart,these are cracking images Cedric,the country fox is a beautiful animal.

"Its ok, that ain`t Frac".......:p

All joking apart,these are cracking images Cedric,the country fox is a beautiful animal.

LOL. You surprise me sometimes Frac, knowing your usual views on
Reynard. ;)

No pp at all apart from levels. The only one with NR is No3 (just on the bg) It's the biggest crop of the lot so the noise was really showing well. :D

Doh! No4 is the one with NR ...soz!

wow, these are stunning. You got such amazing images out of hard conditions. You must know your stuff!

LOL. You surprise me sometimes Frac, knowing your usual views on
Reynard. ;)

I don`t like the creatures,as some of you may be aware.....;)

But you cannot take it away from them,they are a beautiful creature.

That proves what the 50D is capable of when used right.

Absolutely superb. :clap:

I take my hat off to you Sir, you do know your wildlife. I've seen competitions won with lesser images.

You really should sumbit these somewhere, they are far too good not to.

Back