Rich family need a photographer £80k per year

Sounds like the setup for a movie. A young, innocent artist takes on a dream job, but after a series of disturbing events begins to realise exactly how the Family makes its money, and to wonder what happened to the previous photographer...

Louise says if I want to :D I'm sure it'd be a great experience - I'm sure there's a lot of competition though, and I just started getting clients for my photography business.. never-mind, unlikely I'd get it anyway.

I'd be interested but it makes you wonder what else you'd have to do if they can't even be bothered to point a phone at the kids and say cheese.

Ideal job for a young photographer with out commitments.
lot of questions though... who owns the rights to "Non family Photographs" taken during the period of the contract.
Who pays for flights home for "own Holiday" periods.
Who pays for printing mounting and other Photographic costs and out of pocket expenses.
What personal transport is provided. (paid for)

I thought it was a Craigslist advert at first, too good to be true. Whilst it sounds appealing it’s just not for me.

Sounds like the setup for a movie. A young, innocent artist takes on a dream job, but after a series of disturbing events begins to realise exactly how the Family makes its money, and to wonder what happened to the previous photographer...

It's not for Bernard Matthews is it?

Some premier league footballers have full time pro togs working for them. Jermaine Defoe had one at one point and Paul Pogba does as well. Might be someone like that.

Pogba’s guy shoots video as well.

I believe Lewis Hamilton employs one of his childhood friends to be his full time photographer as well.

Not sure I agree it's 'too good to be true', the stars have really got to align for it to work for both parties and it's going to take a very particular sort of individual to cope with the stresses of it (the travelling, the schedule, the loneliness, the different skills required, mixing in very unfamiliar situations and social circles, even if you are just on the periphery of it).

£80k for an all expenses paid year travelling the world sounds great, but give it some thought and you really are sacrificing a year of your life (day and night).

I've done 'live in' photography for an extremely wealthy client before (only a week, though) and even though I was in a beautiful place, living in the same incredible property that I could never afford a single night in myself, eating the same amazing food as them and so on, that novelty wears of remarkably quickly when you're literally living minute to minute on somebody else's schedule (and still working when they've gone to bed otherwise the editing backlog becomes unbearable).

After tax and ni you will have about £700 a week in your pocket. I made that last week painting :LOL:

After tax and ni you will have about £700 a week in your pocket. I made that last week painting :LOL:

Even HMRC say your maths is lousy :D

They have it as £1,046 per week

I suspect if its a S/E basis the true tax level could be a lot less

I showed the article to my wife and she was FAR TOO QUICK to suggest I apply ;)

Dave

Dave
With a world year travelling am sure you could justify having your register base in some tax haven!

But 10 hrs a day doesn't give any indication if thats 7 days a week or if that 10 hrs includes edit / publishing and travel times. if it is then its becoming less attractive at circa £20 per hour.

Also I would think a watertight contract would need to be in place, for things like when they go to the Monaco GP, presumably with Paddock Passes for the whole weekend, do they sort out all the paperwork to cover you as a photographer. When they dive in the Maldives do they provide all the underwater housing for your camera and dive lessons etc etc?

With a world year travelling am sure you could justify having your register base in some tax haven!

But 10 hrs a day doesn't give any indication if thats 7 days a week or if that 10 hrs includes edit / publishing and travel times. if it is then its becoming less attractive at circa £20 per hour.

Also I would think a watertight contract would need to be in place, for things like when they go to the Monaco GP, presumably with Paddock Passes for the whole weekend, do they sort out all the paperwork to cover you as a photographer. When they dive in the Maldives do they provide all the underwater housing for your camera and dive lessons etc etc?

Yep a LOT of discussion would be needed to avoid the tog working stupid hours and seeing their income disappear in the details too, but if those are sorted acceptably then its a great potential for a younger tog to do and one I'd have jumped at even 30 years ago (if it'd have been digital 30 yrs ago that is!)

Dave

On a business basis you are close to the VAT threshold!

On a business basis you are close to the VAT threshold!
Assuming you registered the business in the UK. I suspect if you have a good accountant you can register a one off business in the channel islands or somewhere with low tax.

As others have mentioned, so many details to iron out. The kit required to cover everything they need is going to mount up (waterproof housing as one example), and renting seems challenging if some of the trips are last minute.

Presumably the family also has an assistant that is on hand to arrange VIP access, paddock passes etc, if so hopefully just adding the photographer is part of their workload, that's certainly how it worked when I did it for a week (I gave them my passport details and I would just receive flight tickets and itineraries by email). Absolutely everything was done for me as with the family, I can't see how else it could work.

Interesting range of skills required too, I would guess somebody with an action sports portraiture background is going to do ok (i.e. not needing skiing, scuba lessons etc so can just crack on) but also somebody who has mixed in those sorts of circles, such as high end weddings.

As others have mentioned, so many details to iron out. The kit required to cover everything they need is going to mount up (waterproof housing as one example), and renting seems challenging if some of the trips are last minute.

Presumably the family also has an assistant that is on hand to arrange VIP access, paddock passes etc, if so hopefully just adding the photographer is part of their workload, that's certainly how it worked when I did it for a week (I gave them my passport details and I would just receive flight tickets and itineraries by email). Absolutely everything was done for me as with the family, I can't see how else it could work.

Interesting range of skills required too, I would guess somebody with an action sports portraiture background is going to do ok (i.e. not needing skiing, scuba lessons etc so can just crack on) but also somebody who has mixed in those sorts of circles, such as high end weddings.
You would assume, but how many employed people are just expected that they are mobile and drive for business on occasion and are expected to, without reimbursement, have business car insurance.

I believe Lewis Hamilton employs one of his childhood friends to be his full time photographer as well.

Not sure I agree it's 'too good to be true', the stars have really got to align for it to work for both parties and it's going to take a very particular sort of individual to cope with the stresses of it (the travelling, the schedule, the loneliness, the different skills required, mixing in very unfamiliar situations and social circles, even if you are just on the periphery of it).

£80k for an all expenses paid year travelling the world sounds great, but give it some thought and you really are sacrificing a year of your life (day and night).

I've done 'live in' photography for an extremely wealthy client before (only a week, though) and even though I was in a beautiful place, living in the same incredible property that I could never afford a single night in myself, eating the same amazing food as them and so on, that novelty wears of remarkably quickly when you're literally living minute to minute on somebody else's schedule (and still working when they've gone to bed otherwise the editing backlog becomes unbearable).

It would be like any job that you travel for work.

Like shooting a wedding in Italy sound amazing but in reality I got off the plane, into the taxi, got to my hotel at 6pm, straight to a dinner shoot, then back to the room to check gear prep for next day and then up at 6am and start shooting for the next 18 hours. Got to bed around 2am and then I got up at 9am to check out and went to the airport.

Sure I saw the place, sure I got photos of the Amalfi coast and the little town I was in but it was anything but a holiday. I did no shopping, did no sightseeing or eating at restaurants.

Same goes for a wedding in Lisbon last year, so much so I went back last month on my own for a proper holiday so I can see it properly. Same too for Chicago...at least i got to see the weird loo cover contraption they got there at O'Hare.

So I suspect on this job it would be very full on, depending on the contract. If you are expected to shoot every minute of the day it would not be fun.

Last edited:
Even HMRC say your maths is lousy :D

They have it as £1,046 per week

I showed the article to my wife and she was FAR TOO QUICK to suggest I apply ;)

Dave

Opps, I thought the tax free allowance was for low income persons only. I assumed it was created to help the poor or at least be in different amounts for various income levels.

You'd also probably want a good buffer sum in your bank account too in case of emergencies... it could be an expensive trip home if you had a 'fall out' and got fired whilst covering a visit to Mustique or somewhere like that! :whistle:

You'd also probably want a good buffer sum in your bank account too in case of emergencies... it could be an expensive trip home if you had a 'fall out' and got fired whilst covering a visit to Mustique or somewhere like that! :whistle:
or a repatriation clause in the contract

Back