Ricoh GR III Owners Thread

Do I need to download both or just the latest? Gramps/Anyone?

I confess to being a little nervous about this,
I jumped from 1.61 to 1.71 missing 1.70 with no problem.
From past experience of other cameras if you need to do a prior update it makes it clear it's necessary.
Generally speaking if there's anything not right it won't update ... I've always updated and never had a crash.

My GR3X ... says currently 1.11

There are two updates: 1.20 & 1.21

Do I need to download both or just the latest? Gramps/Anyone?

I confess to being a little nervous about this, they say if you bugger your camera it's your problem.
As gramps mentioned, you wouldn't really need 1.20 and then 1.21. But to be honest, it doesn't take much longer than about 5 minutes from downloading a firmware update to installing it so you could do both in about 10 minutes if you wanted. Just make sure your battery is well charged first.

I just looked on my memory card and have two folders, one is DCIM and the other is RICOH. If I do a firmware update, what folder do I put the firmware in ?
Did you read that bit about formatting your memory card?? That might get rid of those folders.

I jumped from 1.61 to 1.71 missing 1.70 with no problem.
From past experience of other cameras if you need to do a prior update it makes it clear it's necessary.
Generally speaking if there's anything not right it won't update ... I've always updated and never had a crash.
As gramps mentioned, you wouldn't really need 1.20 and then 1.21. But to be honest, it doesn't take much longer than about 5 minutes from downloading a firmware update to installing it so you could do both in about 10 minutes if you wanted. Just make sure your battery is well charged first.
Thanks guys. I might do both, one at a time, formatting before and after.

Just put the .bin file in the root, ie not in either of the files. Press the Menu button and switch on then select Execute.

Just put the .bin file in the root, ie not in either of the files. Press the Menu button and switch on then select Execute.
Success .... took me ages, I couldn't find the .bin file on my pc. But there were folders named DCIM and RICOH

Downloaded again, and there was the .bin :D

And BTW, I hit the download button on the Ricoh site and it appeared to download the latest firmware number only. But I now have the Negative Film thingy on the camera, something that belonged to the previous update. So I am fully up to date.

Last edited:
I did it exactly like the man in the video said, and it works like a dream now.
Dave, the video doesn't mention at the end that you should format your card again to clean off the update before using it for pics.

One from me of a few cars we have made recentley.

R0001035-Edit-XL.jpg

Hi guys. On my GR III, when I change the shutter speed in shutter priority, if I then switch to manual mode, the shutter speed has changed to the same shutter speed as in shutter priority. And vice versa, whatever shutter speed I choose in manual mode becomes the same shutter speed in shutter priority. Similarly, whatever aperture I choose in aperture priority becomes the same aperture in manual mode, and vice versa. Is it meant to be like that? I would like it so that each shooting mode is completely independent of each other.

Hi guys. On my GR III, when I change the shutter speed in shutter priority, if I then switch to manual mode, the shutter speed has changed to the same shutter speed as in shutter priority. And vice versa, whatever shutter speed I choose in manual mode becomes the same shutter speed in shutter priority. Similarly, whatever aperture I choose in aperture priority becomes the same aperture in manual mode, and vice versa. Is it meant to be like that? I would like it so that each shooting mode is completely independent of each other.
Just having checked, mine appears to be the same Lee.
However I don't use those modes, I setup the 3 User Modes and one (U3) is set to Manual ... switching from Aperture Priority to my chosen User Mode goes with the setting in the User Mode. My User Modes do not change unless I change them on the fly (temporary) or if I save the new setting (permanent).

Just having checked, mine appears to be the same Lee.
However I don't use those modes, I setup the 3 User Modes and one (U3) is set to Manual ... switching from Aperture Priority to my chosen User Mode goes with the setting in the User Mode. My User Modes do not change unless I change them on the fly (temporary) or if I save the new setting (permanent).
Thanks for that info Roger, much appreciated. I think it's time then for me to do what you've done and set up my custom user modes. I'm going to check my Sony camera just to see if it also does the same thing.

I've literally not picked up the Panasonic since getting the GRiii. I know I missed quite a few "would've been good" shots last week down in Cornwall because I "only" had the 18mm fixed lens, but at the same time I know I got a lot more shots because the Ricoh fits in my pocket and I carried it everywhere. I'm a big fan of philosophy spouted in the old "lesser photographer" book, and this camera makes me feel like I've somehow edged towards that ideal. It's not bad at all for landscapes (will hopefully get a few of those shared sometime once I can find time to edit them) but it's still really a street camera and that's where I want to go - although I only managed a couple of decent such shots in Cornwall, And, actually, have managed very few so far - but I'm learning. Anyway, here's the entrance to Charlestown harbour. Glad I wasn't having to swing an old sailing vessel around this maze in a storm a few hundred years ago!

Entrance to Charlestown Harbour.jpg

So I have been having an issue with my DXO Photolab 5 software when trying to adjust Perspective in photos.
Perspective provides two vertical (Force Parallel) lines to make the adjustment but over recent weeks these lines ,normally defaulting to vertical, have defaulted to horizontal, which is annoying.
Yesterday I realised that it must be a Ricoh issue as they work correctly with my Leica files, defaulting to vertical ... I use the GR III in landscape and portrait and with each file Photolab defaults to horizontal lines.
What setting on the Ricoh can be making Photolab default to hosizontal rather than vertical?

I rarely need to adjust Perspective but when I do I use Gimp. Keyboard shortcut: Shift + P

I rarely need to adjust Perspective but when I do I use Gimp. Keyboard shortcut: Shift + P
Thanks David, it’s worked fine until recently.
I’m thinking there must be a setting in the Ricoh that is causing the problem, making it stay out of the correct plane.

'Force Horizon Correction' was set to 'off' having altered that the 'Force Parallel' lines in PhotoLab are now vertical! :banana:

'Force Horizon Correction' was set to 'off' having altered that the 'Force Parallel' lines in PhotoLab are now vertical! :banana:
Forced Horizon Correction in PhotoLab presumably.

There's also an in-camera Horizon Correction. I have mine set to off.

Anyway, it sounds like you've fixed it.

Forced Horizon Correction in PhotoLab presumably.

There's also an in-camera Horizon Correction. I have mine set to off.

Anyway, it sounds like you've fixed it.
In camera - set to off it’s just fixed and PL obviously reads that from the camera data.

Trying out some Ricoh Recipes this morning, including 'Kodak Slide' - looks a bit yellow to me but what do you think?

Modern Man
by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Seated Lady

High Class

Now it also raises a question regarding saving different settings (in 'boxes').
The top dial has U1, U2 & U3 to recall three different settings, however there are six boxes for different setting in the 'Save Settings' Menu.
How do you make use of (recall) settings saved in Boxes 4-6?

Now it also raises a question regarding saving different settings (in 'boxes').
The top dial has U1, U2 & U3 to recall three different settings, however there are six boxes for different setting in the 'Save Settings' Menu.
How do you make use of (recall) settings saved in Boxes 4-6?

Don't make me read the manual! :LOL:

Back