Ricoh GR III Owners Thread

WARNING - Problem with the update (not critical).

@d00d @Fuji Dave @wibbly @Merlin5 @delb0y

Thanks for the heads up gramps, might sell my GR3 as sadly my days of going out with any camera are now over due to health issues.

Thanks for the heads up gramps, might sell my GR3 as sadly my days of going out with any camera are now over due to health issues.
Sorry to hear that Dave, my walks have been curtailed a bit and I know it's very frustrating. :(

Sorry to hear that Dave, my walks have been curtailed a bit and I know it's very frustrating. :(

My recovery is going to take so long that I'm selling all my camera kits, have just found the GR III Street addition box so once I find the rest of the bits I will put it up for sale.

Firmware update now available for GRiii & GRiiix - rectifies previous problem version.

Schoolboy error today and saved by the GRiii.
I had forgotten to remove the SD card from the card reader yesterday and so went out with no card in the camera!
Fortunately the GRiii has a 2GB internal memory so all was not lost and I didn't even know it until I came home and tried to remove the card! :facepalm:

Do Not Cross
by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Looking through my files I found this one from July of this year. Not sure, but I think it deserves keeping.

Dartmouth Ladies

53219321178_7b0c83e0e7_z.jpg

Very good!

#2 & #3 are difficult to achieve without a tilt up screen, I find.

Cheers, I had the rear display turned off and set it to snap focus priority, shots from between waist and chest whilst walking past avoiding eye contact with subjects :)

Last edited:
Just come back from a week in Malta. Was going to take either the Lumix G9 or the old Nikon D700, but in the end my love for the pure pocketability of the GRiii won out. I love this camera. Some photos to follow once I've had chance to curate them...

Bought a GRIIIX earlier today - for the reason many others seem to have bought one.
As it's a great size to have with you all the time.. looking forward to testing it out in real life over the coming days, weeks, months...
(sorry - no photos to share yet...)

Toying with the idea of one of these as a pocket digital camera for a bit of fun. I've been doing some research and note that the Street Edition when reviewed on YouTube comes with the 28mm finder, but looking at retail shops they seem to have swapped that for an extra battery. Have I missed something? Is it now an extra battery and a paint job for the extra £150?

Also, @dancook : IIRC you have/had a Q2 at one point. How satisfied are you with the files you're getting from the GR3? I know there's a huge price difference between the two, but the GR3 is more pocketable and might scratch the 28mm itch in a more wallet friendly manner. Just wondered what your opinion was.

Toying with the idea of one of these as a pocket digital camera for a bit of fun. I've been doing some research and note that the Street Edition when reviewed on YouTube comes with the 28mm finder, but looking at retail shops they seem to have swapped that for an extra battery. Have I missed something? Is it now an extra battery and a paint job for the extra £150?

Also, @dancook : IIRC you have/had a Q2 at one point. How satisfied are you with the files you're getting from the GR3? I know there's a huge price difference between the two, but the GR3 is more pocketable and might scratch the 28mm itch in a more wallet friendly manner. Just wondered what your opinion was.

I had the Q3 as well, if I crop too much I feel like it has a bottled glass kind of look to the bokeh.

But it’s early days and as you say it’s much cheaper. I only intend to use it for hip shooting and maybe for the form factor excels.

I will see..

Im sober now, so..

Since I have the X2D that will do all my personal photography, the Ricoh GR is only for street photography.

If I did not have the x2d I would have kept the Q3, and I wouldn’t have the Ricoh.

I sold the Q3 because I didn’t want another high value camera depreciating on the desk. The Ricoh is cheap enough that the depreciation is acceptable to me for occasional use.

if it was more than a street photography camera I might want an evf.

The pocketability of the Ricoh is a huge bonus though, if you want a travel everywhere camera

i would get a used Q2 and just sell for about the same as you buy it if it’s not for you.

Maybe there's a better way to set it up, but I'm not a fan of the Ricoh GR menu and controls. Using min ISO shutter speed, which is a little deep in the menus, at 1/1000th for street and priority snap focus mode, but when i switch out all the dials do something different and i have to go into the menus to change min ISO shutter speed. But I can imagine keeping it as a dedicate street camera, and never touching the settings :)

I like that the Q are easy to change on the fly, can be changed blindly, and can be seen with a glance down at top of camera.

Last edited:
Using min ISO shutter speed, which is a little deep in the menus, at 1/1000th for street and priority snap focus mode, but when i switch out all the dials do something different and i have to go into the menus to change min ISO shutter speed.
Not completely sure I understand but have you saved your setting for snap focus in U1, U2 or U3?
Then use that when you want it.

Not completely sure I understand but have you saved your setting for snap focus in U1, U2 or U3?
Then use that when you want it.

That'll be a good idea if it registered the min ISO speed along with it - currently i just have the enabled/disable priority snap mode to a button

Louise has just gone to New York, as she was shortlisted for the kirkus book prize and is attending the ceremony - she's taken the Ricoh GR with her, which is another plus - a camera she can borrow.

Just thinking more.. something like this might work for me

Close Up Street
U1 = 1.5M - ~4M priority snap 1/1000th min

All in focus Street
U2 = ~2.5M - Inf. priority snap 1/500th min

"Normal mode"
U3 = Aperture Priority Mode, 1/100th Min

I have the Street Edition and I believe there were two different street editions on release, one with the extra finder etc. and one with an additional battery - I did look into it at some point and found the answers, can‘t recall now where and the actual specific differences as mine came with no viewfinder but an additional battery & the leather case.

Just thinking more.. something like this might work for me

Close Up Street
U1 = 1.5M - ~4M priority snap 1/1000th min

All in focus Street
U2 = ~2.5M - Inf. priority snap 1/500th min

"Normal mode"
U3 = Aperture Priority Mode, 1/100th Min
Don't forget that you have 'full press snap focus' available too.
You can use the shutter button to half-press and do normal autofocus, or full press and it will 'snap focus' but to only one set distance (I use 2.5m).

I must admit I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the GR3. I've had two now and a GR2 & always find they are a bit of a surprise when I shoot with them, but I don't find them much find to shoot with. Whether it's down to the size, the focal length which I struggle with at 28mm or the lack of viewfinder, I do struggle to love mine.

Quite often I think I'll move it on and sell it for something else, but it is handy to chuck in a pocket when wandering or a bag when I want to travel light. I don't shoot street or anything much like that, it tends to spend most of its time with me when I'm out wandering in the woods.

Took the GRIIIx for my morning walk today - handy little camera to have in your pocket when you don't want to take the whole 'camera store' with you.
I can see this being a great camera for taking some random (and planned) photos on just normal morning or evening walks.
These two are just really snapshots I took on the way...
Happy to have bought this yesterday :)

Ric_01.jpgRic_02.jpg

the focal length which I struggle with at 28mm

I guess you’ll have to buy the IIIx , You could set the GR3 to 35mm just to trial the focal length.
or the lack of viewfinder,

I’ve mostly used the optical finder on the GRD/GR and although it’s the GRD version it works fine for me as I prefer 4:3 or 1:1.

if it was more than a street photography camera I might want an evf.

The pocketability of the Ricoh is a huge bonus though, if you want a travel everywhere camera

i would get a used Q2 and just sell for about the same as you buy it if it’s not for you.
Thanks for all of your reply Dan.

I was looking for a go-anywhere camera, and/or something I can put in my pocket to take photos when I'm out doing other things, or mainly carrying film. The Q2 feels a little large for that, but I was wondering whether the files are 4x better than the GR3. I'm guessing they're better, and that low light is better (not something I do much of) but not massively so.

I guess you’ll have to buy the IIIx , You could set the GR3 to 35mm just to trial the focal length.

I’ve mostly used the optical finder on the GRD/GR and although it’s the GRD version it works fine for me as I prefer 4:3 or 1:1.
I have toyed with the idea of the 3x but to be honest, I’ll stick to the GR3 and either crop in post or in camera….
35mm is a much more natural focal length for me, 28mm just seems so wide :)

I have toyed with the idea of the 3x but to be honest, I’ll stick to the GR3 and either crop in post or in camera….
35mm is a much more natural focal length for me, 28mm just seems so wide :)

In film days with Oly OM1 I had 50 and up but I never had a 35 or 28 but had a 24 and hankered after a 21 that I couldnt afford so I guess 28 seems fine and similar to my Minox which fits a similar niche to the GR/D series.

In film days with Oly OM1 I had 50 and up but I never had a 35 or 28 but had a 24 and hankered after a 21 that I couldnt afford so I guess 28 seems fine and similar to my Minox which fits a similar niche to the GR/D series.
I started on a 50 and over the years have progressed to a 35mm. Maybe another 30 years and I’ll end up at 28mm :ROFLMAO:

Funnily enough even I use a zoom lens on my Z7 I end up at around 35mm or so. I just seem to see at 35mm.

Reminded today that it is not possible to do a factory reset on the Ricoh GRiii(x) :thinking:
Bit of a faff trying to reset everything, can’t imagine why it doesn’t have it.
Still love the camera though. :)

Reminded today that it is not possible to do a factory reset on the Ricoh GRiii(x) :thinking:
Bit of a faff trying to reset everything, can’t imagine why it doesn’t have it.
Still love the camera though. :)

That’s surprising, I don't think it’s ever been missing on previous Ricohs.

Searched the internet and not a hint of a suggestion. :(

Did the same thing a downloaded manual. I was wrong anyway as the GRIII has the same “feature”, there are complaints on dpreview Ricoh forum. Odd.

I thought for a moment I’d found it with:

Changes to V1.31​

<Added the following enhanced features>

• [Customize Setting] --- [Memory] has been added to [Customize Controls].
    - For 22 items such as ISO sensitivity setting and exposure compensation, when the power is turned off, you can select "memorize the settings just before power off" or "Reset to Default".
    * When it is with a "check" in the check box to the right of the selected item, the next time the power is turned on, it will start up with the settings just before the power was turned off. To start with the default settings the next time when the power is turned on, press [ADJ] and remove the "Check" from the check box.
(My italic)
But not it seems, though I’m not quite sure what that is doing, :(

Back