Ricoh GR III Owners Thread

Fwiw, the battery in my GR1 was flat so I put it on charge via the cable and it was fully charged 1.5 hours later, didn’t check earlier. I think the battery is the same and I was using the supplied Ricoh charger & cable. The cable is not a standard USB I think.

I'll give that a go. It was charging for several hours and never got to the three bars stage. It's back on the zero-bars red icon now after messing with the camera (although not for long enough to drain it, I wouldn't have thought). I'm going to try re-charging the battery again from empty. Hopefully, if it's not the cable, its just a faulty battery rather than the camera (which seems to be fine otherwise).
I’ve got a couple of cables I picked up from Poundland which work fine. I keep one in the house and one in the car. If it is the cable, cheap enough to replace.

I guess the other obvious one is a dodgy battery.

I ran the battery down completely last night and then set it charging before I went to bed. This morning the status lamp had turned off and the battery indicator is showing three bars so, fingers crossed, it's now OK.

No idea how long it took to charge overnight though. Could have been a couple of hours or several. I guess I'll find out next time I charge it while awake :).

I've ordered a couple of spare batteries and a separate charger which should make things easier to manage.

Anyway, here's a quick grab shot from yesterday.

Fly on a rhododendron.jpg

Last edited:
I ran the battery down completely last night and then set it charging before I went to bed. This morning the status lamp had turned off and the battery indicator is showing three bars so, fingers crossed, it's now OK.

No idea how long it took to charge overnight though. Could have been a couple of hours or several. I guess I'll find out next time I charge it while awake :).

I've ordered a couple of spare batteries and a separate charger which should make things easier to manage.

Good news by the sound of it! I quite like the GR3, image quality is excellent - I find it the perfect foil for when I'm out and about with a film camera. (y)

Good news by the sound of it! I quite like the GR3, image quality is excellent - I find it the perfect foil for when I'm out and about with a film camera. (y)

Just trying to figure out the best way of setting it up now. I suspect it will take a bit of experimentation to familiarise myself with how best suits my shooting style / the sort of pictures I want to make and get used to the button layout.

Just trying to figure out the best way of setting it up now. I suspect it will take a bit of experimentation to familiarise myself with how best suits my shooting style / the sort of pictures I want to make and get used to the button layout.

I see dpreview says A full charge of the battery takes about 2 hours in their review. It’s a different battery and a standard USB unlike the i & iI.

A few test shots from a walk on my lunch break. Empty blue skies and the sun as high overhead as you can get it here in the UK, so not the best conditions, and the subjects were chosen just to fire off some frames rather than an attempt to try and do some more considered photography, but the camera is performing well.

I received a screen protector with the camera which I fitted yesterday. I peeled it off as soon as I got out in the sunshine as it made the screen almost impossible to see in bright light!

All are RAW files tweaked a bit in Lightroom.

GRIII test shot-3
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

GRIII test shot-4

GRIII test shot-5

GRIII test shot

GRIII test shot-2

I'm itching to go out with the camera properly. So far it's been quick grabbed outings (with the added disadvantage of me not really knowing the ins-and-outs of the camera yet to trip me up), or random things like this chair in golden-hour light in a cafe we visited.

Empty chair by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

I received a screen protector with the camera which I fitted yesterday. I peeled it off as soon as I got out in the sunshine as it made the screen almost impossible to see in bright light!

The screens are a weakness with most cameras I think. More so now we can see with phones how good they could be. I‘ve always used the smaller Ricoh ovf, first with the GRD and now with the GR. It’s 4:3 but that’s OK

The screens are a weakness with most cameras I think. More so now we can see with phones how good they could be. I‘ve always used the smaller Ricoh ovf, first with the GRD and now with the GR. It’s 4:3 but that’s OK

Even without the screen protector, it can be a bit difficult to see in bright light, poarticulalrly if I'm not holding it in front of my face. I might turn up the brightness and see how much impact it has on the battery life.

Looks like you’re getting on really well with the GR3

Thanks Dave. Still figuring it out, but getting a better feel for it now. I'm very happy with the results I'm getting. As you say above, it's a great companion for the film cameras I use for most of my photography, and should be very useful for the sort of street photography I like to (attempt!) to try my hand at.

Spent a couple of days in London this week

M6 in one hand, GR3 in the other. Great combination for shooting fairly light.

Shot this from the Sky Garden in London on the GR3.

6B60B298-650F-4CB7-AFC2-78C3E38EF253.jpeg

I'm very impressed with the files the GR III produces. The RAW files look pretty great straight out of camera and often don't require much additional processing.

Rusty barn by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr
Great photo. Really shows how good the GR3 is.

I’m always surprised when I load the RAW files into LR. I really must get mine out and use it more than I do.

Welp, that's going to be a Day One purchase for me. My OG APSC GR is still going strong as well, I can see myself covering events with each in a pocket of my field jacket (and another pocket full of batteries!).

Apparently has eye AF and some additional RAW processing features. Hopefully they'll roll over to the GRIII with a firmware updat of the “features” mention that in footnotes in the press release
Four of the “features” mention that in footnotes in the press release

Back