Ricoh GR III Owners Thread

I’m actually really looking forward to the 40mm gr3x I like my grii and use it a lot but 28mm is a bit too wide for me I’m more of a 50mm guy

I’m actually really looking forward to the 40mm gr3x I like my grii and use it a lot but 28mm is a bit too wide for me I’m more of a 50mm guy

Yeah, I'm thinking the same.

I'm also wondering how much you can get away with cropping. 24mp APSC ... 100% crop (halved) or more, for internet use. Would love to see what you GR owners have pulled off. :D

Yeah, I'm thinking the same.

I'm also wondering how much you can get away with cropping. 24mp APSC ... 100% crop (halved) or more, for internet use. Would love to see what you GR owners have pulled off. :D

You can crop it pretty heavily. The lens is great and captures a lot of detail. The GR III has a 35mm and 50mm mode which effectively crops the image in-camera, dropping the size of the resulting image to 16mp or 12mp respectively.

You can crop it pretty heavily. The lens is great and captures a lot of detail. The GR III has a 35mm and 50mm mode which effectively crops the image in-camera, dropping the size of the resulting image to 16mp or 12mp respectively.
Thanks FF (y)

There are certainly some super images on this thread. It's the camera for street type stuff. I was wondering if anyone had shot something like a busy street scene or demo, with no in-camera digital crop then later found a beaut of an image in there and cropped drastically in PP.

I know most photographers like to give the impression they've seen & framed in-camera. But we've all done it: seen it after the event and cropped accordingly.

Thanks FF (y)

There are certainly some super images on this thread. It's the camera for street type stuff. I was wondering if anyone had shot something like a busy street scene or demo, with no in-camera digital crop then later found a beaut of an image in there and cropped drastically in PP.

I know most photographers like to give the impression they've seen & framed in-camera. But we've all done it: seen it after the event and cropped accordingly.

Really quick example. First is the full-size image with no cropping. The second is with maybe 75% cropped away. Both resized to 1600px on the long edge so I could upload them here.

Picadilly uncrop-2.jpgPicadilly crop.jpg

Hi Nige @FishyFish .... thanks so much for doing that. But TBH, I don't think it's helped much, there are so many variables. In my experience, no matter what camera you are using you can usually get away with cropping a lot, providing it's a sharp shot to begin with and you're including your focus point in your cropped result.

I was watching a good video earlier where Sean Tucker shows at 4:42 what the GR3x is capable of.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhNqHDsWipU

Thanks again.

Hi Nige @FishyFish .... thanks so much for doing that. But TBH, I don't think it's helped much, there are so many variables. In my experience, no matter what camera you are using you can usually get away with cropping a lot, providing it's a sharp shot to begin with and you're including your focus point in your cropped result.

I was watching a good video earlier where Sean Tucker shows at 4:42 what the GR3x is capable of.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhNqHDsWipU

Thanks again.

Yeah, watched that video the other day. I'd agree with his comments as they hold true for the 28mm equivalent GR III too. The images are very sharp and the RAW files are great.

In other news my GR3 has developed 'wobbly wheel' syndrome. Spoken to Camera World where I bought it from and they've advised to send in for repair.

My Italian brother-in-law has a Ricoh GR (not sure if II or III to be honest) with a problem. Everything else works fine but the shutter doesn't open. Has anybody else experienced this and has a simple/cheap solution? His camera shop want a lot of money to effectively replace most of the insides of the camera.

My Italian brother-in-law has a Ricoh GR (not sure if II or III to be honest) with a problem. Everything else works fine but the shutter doesn't open. Has anybody else experienced this and has a simple/cheap solution? His camera shop want a lot of money to effectively replace most of the insides of the camera.
No help really but he’s not alone even if it’s uncommon. Does it work on the second frame like here:

Also there may be something here:

No help really but he’s not alone even if it’s uncommon. Does it work on the second frame like here:

Also there may be something here:
These look super helpful, though from what I understand his shutter never opens. Still, these threads will give him some ideas and as he is quite handy with a screwdriver he will experiment. Many thanks for the pointers

These look super helpful, though from what I understand his shutter never opens. Still, these threads will give him some ideas and as he is quite handy with a screwdriver he will experiment. Many thanks for the pointers
Well, the bad news from a poster on that thread that I recognise fro when I I read the forum more often says:

GRII is a two year old model, so I would think that we would have heard about it by now. This is a lens unit problem and my guess is that these are lens units from an early batch. I am sure Ricoh knows which serial numbers are effected by this, but never openly acknowledged it and never offered free repairs for these cameras, which is what they should have done.

Shutter mechanism and the aperture blades are all part of a single unit, and it is not serviceable by Ricoh. They replace the lens unit as a set- including the sensor, and it was around 300 euros in German repair center, so unless it is not covered by warranty it may not be the best idea to waste time and energy with repairs. I don't know where you're located but service can turn out to be a rather frustrating experience. I read many unpleasant stories with the US authorized service center. My experience with Germany wasn't much better. (This was around 3 years ago, Ricoh used another company at the time) it went for a repair, they agreed to replace the lens unit free of charge but it came back after several months with exactly the very same problem. Went back etc etc.

So it doesn’t look hopeful. I haven’t read them but flickr camera group discussions are sometimes a source of info.

I don’t think there are any specific Ricoh forums now like there used to be with the GRD :(

Anyone got hold of an x yet?
I've received mine earlier this week. I'm already used to the 40mm shooting a Voigtlander on my A7III but having a pocketable camera is great, liking it so far.

Mine is in transit. Pandemic might slow down my planned London visits though.

Nice! Where did you buy yours from? Couldnt find one in stock anywhere in the UK.

From Ricoh EU. Just happened to click on the site and they had some. Now all gone I think.

Earlier today SRS Microsystems had some in stock (per their website)

Should've thought of Ricoh EU! Oh well, ordered from Amazon JP last Thursday and received it Monday :)

Back