Right everyone... What was your first ever computer??

Commodore Vic 20, 6502 processor, 5k RAM... that's kilobytes, not Megabytes or Gigabytes. Actually I think you had about 3½ k left when it was up and running. :)

wow, those curtains are something else!

I had an acorn electron too, with the add on floppy drive and ROM adaptor, think it also had some more memory in it too, cost a fortune from what I can remember. I laways hankered after a spectrum though but they were more expensive so my folks went for the electron, still I lerant a lot from it and it had a proper keyboard unlike the sinclaire things

I bought a 486 25mhz as my next computer with a staggering 2mb of ram

zx81 with a piece of green sticky screen coverfor me. i used to spend days typing in programs only to get a "syntax error message come up"

My favourite " game " was maziogs. I think it was one of the very first 3D games.

Stew

Tandy TRS-80 Model I which I upgraded to 16kb :D

then, briefly, an Oric before I sent the dammed thing back.

Then a Dragon 32

An Oric...I thought I was the only person who had one. The Hobbit NSEW + action button. LOL

Then a Speccy, Commodore 64, Amiga500, Amstrad 1512?, Apple Euro2, IBM XT8086, 286 self build, 386 self build, 486 PCWorld,then numerous laptops and desktops. All in 25 years...thats technology for you.

Looking at the timescales the jump between my first ones was around 6 to 9 months. Then stretching to 12 to 18 months once into the IBM (clone) x86. Now its around 3-4 years between machines.

Another Oric owner for a very short time ......sent it back because it didnt work properly and got a Atari 800XL:)

Depends what you class as a computer...

Mine was a HP34C programmable calculator, hours of fun playing moon landing, once I programmed it correctly!

HP-34C-S.JPG

Then was an Amstrad CPC464 with the green screen monitor! Hours of fun making little BASIC programs!

cpc464.jpg

Acorn Elecetron also.

I didn't realise until I saw that docu-drama "Micro Men" that the Electron basically polished off the Acorn company!

We just drew in the dirt with a stick.

Steve.

I just used to paint on the cave walls for gaming entertainment!!! could display or images of the days hunting too lol

My bro had a ZX Spectrum and all i remember was him throwing it across his bed room cos Jet set/pack willy?? kept crashing at the last stage of tape downloading lol

Amstrad CPC6128

I miss it. I wish I'd have kept it in the loft instead of giving it away.

Milkie said:
Then was an Amstrad CPC464 with the green screen monitor! Hours of fun making little BASIC programs!

cpc464.jpg

HAH ! I had a colour screen with mine :p

I started off with a Vic 20
Then it was a Spectrum 128k +2
Then went on to an Atari 520 ST
Then prior to my first PC it was an Amiga 500

Happy days!

I remember at school when they upgraded the Acorn to six RS Nimbus machines, everyone wanted a go and the list to get a go was as long as anything. They made a massive deal over the amount of money spent on them as they were top spec machines back then.

My first computer, a ZX Spectrum 16k version for all the family. Got nearly to the end of Wizards Lair after 4 hours and it overheated and shut down. No safety net, just leave off for 30 minutes, reload the program from tape and start again!

At my last office, they had a Durango F85 in the conference room. A part of history for them (and an expensive at $5000 new!). Don't know if it ever worked though as it was never plugged in!

A Sinclair ZX80 that I built from a kit.
I feel very old!

I did that too!

Then an original rubber keyboard Spectrum
Then a Commodore 64 with propper floppy drive
Then an Atari ST
Then a Commodore Amiga with 20 meg HD
Then my first PC (1995) 486DX33 Dos 6.0

Downhill from there!

I had a ZX Spectrum 48k with the rubber keys and used to love playing The Hobbit and The Horace the spider games :D

Then I got a Commodore 64, then an Amiga 500 Cartoon Classics Pack - brilliant (y)

Alison :)

ZX81 for me, even with the wobbles.

Oh the nights of 3D Monster maze only for the machine to crash :bang:

I had a Tandy TRS-80 Model I Level II and this was a top of the range business computer at the time. I remember turning it on and seeing a flashing prompt and not knowing what it should be doing. After another trip back to Tandy's and a tape recorder in hand I could load really groovy programs. and spend many hours typing in listings out of magazines in Basic then debugging for another day. I wanted a Spectrum but it was not tax deductible for my dad's business I guess :(

16k of ram!

This was the nuts.

ZX81
Spectrum 48k (Plastic Keys)
Atari STe
Various PC's then progressed to Mac

Next: iMac 27" - is so want one of the babies!

I started with a Sinclair ZX81 and then got a 16 memory pack and the printer. Spectrum 48k complete with rubber keys, that died at the same time as the Spectrum+ came out so I got one of those as a replacement, also bought the micro drive for it

I then ran out of funds for a while. My next PC (really a word processor) was an Amstrad 8256. Then I had a 386SX 25mhz, built this up into a 486DX4 100mhz. Then upgraded that into an AMD 266mhz, then bought a 500mhz system.

Then I bought the bits to build a mini ATX Shuttle 1ghz, then bought Acer an AMD 2000, then bought another mini ATX 2.4 ghz celeron which I am using now but has been upgraded to P4 2.8ghz (running linux). Also have a HP dual core 3ghz running vista, an Acer 1.8ghz laptop running linux and a Lenovo R51e dual core 2.3ghz running vista soon to be win7 for work.

Had an interesting afternoon building a PC from spare parts to run Windows 98SE, we have a CNC machine at works that will only work with Windows98 and the current PC has popped its clogs. Runs quite fast on an AMD 1700 with 256mb.

Tim

Hands up who stood in WHSmiths on a Saturday morning programming the ZX Spectrun, Commodore 64, BBC, Amstrad 464, dragon, electron only for it to last 5 second as the next kids pushed you out the way and cleared your programme :(

Tim

Commodore VIC20 (still got)
Commodore 64 (still got)

(I have the 5.25" serial floppy for the above computers!)

16K Spectrum (still got)
48K Spectrum (still got)
Spectrum Plus (still got)

Amstrad CPC 464 (still got)
Amstrad CPC 664 (still got)
Amstrad CPC 6128 (still got)

With rom boards, extra floppy drives etc

Acorn BBC model B (still got)

Atari ST1040 with 30Mb HD (sadly gone)

Commodore Amiga A1200 with 10Gb HD (gone)

Acorn Archimedes A410/1 (upgraded beyond A540 level) (gone)

Windows PCs..............

Apple MacMini (given to son now)
Apple iBook (sold)
Apple Macbook (sold)
Apple Mac pro (still got)
Apple Macbook pro (still got)

If anyone wants a BBC, Commodore 64, CPC or spectrum plus let me know on here and I will stick an advert in the for sale section. I have several spare ones (NO PMS PLEASE - no rule breaking!)

First was a BBC B 32K
The guy in the local shop could not believe his luck when I went straight in and slapped down my £400. I added all this bits to this, the second processor (yes even back in the 80s we had twin processor machines, and you thought a Mac Pro was innovative)

I had that music thing they made too.
The OS and a Word Processor in Rom :) no boot up time it was just on or off.

Then an Amiga 500 to which I got a hard drive 20MB I think.

Had two PC since then, the current one being a Pentium 4 2.5Ghz with 1.25GB ram

Next I AM getting a 27" iMAC

Not sure if you class gaming machines as computrers? We had one of these in the late 70s.
102_Acetronic_Colour_TV_Game.sized.jpg

Then the ZX81
ZX Spectrum 16k
ZX Spectrum 48k (mum took the 16k one back cause the p;ower lead was faulty and swapped it for the 48k)!!

Spectrum 128k
Commodore 64

Then I started to find girls and didn't bother so much for a while :)

First PC was a 486DX33 with a 20mMb HDD and 1Mb RAM, a 15" sVGA monitor and it cost me £1300!!! Upgraded to 4Mb cost me £160 and bought a CDRom (4x) Cost me £125!!

Many upgrades since :)

ZX81 -> Spectrum -> BBC Micro model B -> my first homebuilt PC

Slighty off topic, did anyone see Micro Men on the BBC?
The story of Sinclair and Acorn computers here in Cambridge!

This was my first real computer
compaq-cds-520.jpg

Not sure I can remember my very first computer but my favourite in later years was the Tatung Einstein.

Tatung_Einstein_System_2.jpg

Back