Right everyone... What was your first ever computer??

Hands up who stood in WHSmiths on a Saturday morning programming the ZX Spectrun, Commodore 64, BBC, Amstrad 464, dragon, electron only for it to last 5 second as the next kids pushed you out the way and cleared your programme :(

Tim

My first was a Commodore Vic20, then a spectrum, but i remember buying the spectrum magazines with the code of games printed inside on about 4 sides of A4 typing them in for hours to find they did not work or a slight print error.:bonk:

ZX Spectrum with the soft keys followed by an Amiga 500 I think.

I loved playing Horace Goes Skiing.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 16k which I spent a fortune sending away to be converted to 128k.

My first PC was a 386 sx 16mhz 2mb ram which came with a massive 40mb hard drive, I remember thinking I'll never fill all that??!!

ZX80. Remember being amazed at the golf game on it.
A one line prompt for each action: 'Please pick a number' for the club selection, pick a number for strength of swing, degrees...etc.

Then a wait of what seemed like an eternity for the result: 'Your ball has travelled 'x' feet and is 'x' feet from the hole.' The work of the devil. I mean, how the heck did it know that!?! :shrug:

My first computer too! I used to love Platoon.

and me! im only 15 like :p i just had one cos my brother did when i was born. then we moved on to bigger and better things, atm ive got a custom built with 8gb of ram a nvidea 8600gt card a 2.4ghz processor and an acer tower :p with a 120gb sata II hd which needs upgrading.

Commodore VIC20 (still got)
Commodore 64 (still got)

(I have the 5.25" serial floppy for the above computers!)

16K Spectrum (still got)
48K Spectrum (still got)
Spectrum Plus (still got)

Amstrad CPC 464 (still got)
Amstrad CPC 664 (still got)
Amstrad CPC 6128 (still got)

With rom boards, extra floppy drives etc

Acorn BBC model B (still got)

Atari ST1040 with 30Mb HD (sadly gone)

Commodore Amiga A1200 with 10Gb HD (gone)

Acorn Archimedes A410/1 (upgraded beyond A540 level) (gone)

Windows PCs..............

Apple MacMini (given to son now)
Apple iBook (sold)
Apple Macbook (sold)
Apple Mac pro (still got)
Apple Macbook pro (still got)

If anyone wants a BBC, Commodore 64, CPC or spectrum plus let me know on here and I will stick an advert in the for sale section. I have several spare ones (NO PMS PLEASE - no rule breaking!)

i want a commodore 64!!!!

I had a C64 growing up. Took me ages to save up, but the double-digit % interest rates were a God send at the time!

When I went to college ('88), I came into a chunk of money, which being the conscientious student that I was, I mostly p****d up a wall, but I did treat myself to an Amstrad PC1640, which I upgraded (IIRC for about £250) with a 20Mb (yes, Megabyte) hard disk.

Meant I could do all my college assignments in my digs - yay! Oh, and it meant that I didn't have to wait for Football Manager to load off the 5 1/4" floppies!

amstrad_pc1640.jpg

:)

I had a C64 growing up. Took me ages to save up, but the double-digit % interest rates were a God send at the time!

When I went to college ('88), I came into a chunk of money, which being the conscientious student that I was, I mostly p****d up a wall, but I did treat myself to an Amstrad PC1640, which I upgraded (IIRC for about £250) with a 20Mb (yes, Megabyte) hard disk.

Meant I could do all my college assignments in my digs - yay! Oh, and it meant that I didn't have to wait for Football Manager to load off the 5 1/4" floppies!

amstrad_pc1640.jpg

:)

I have an ancient Apricot PC here which has a 5Mb hard disc. Funny to think that a single RAW file from a modern camera won't fit on it!

My first ever computer was a Commodore Amiga. Great machine.

BBC Micro series 2 with a massive 32K that's right 32k of RAM. and a 100K floppy drive. Boy did it teach you to write tight code.

Forgot most (all) of it now though.

Texas Instruments TI49AA (wahey I still remember).

I then got a Commodore vic20 (5k of usable ram) for my birthday... and then lo and behold I won a C64 (38k of usable ram) in a competition from the Daily Mirror at the age of 9 i think. The C64 was the latest tech at the time and came with a disk drive (portable unit), Commodore printer and the official commodore monitor. Approximate cost was 1500 quid back then (according to the competition).

From that point on it was none stop, and I remained with the Commodore range until I got my first PC386DX. 2000 quid for the motherboard (!)

My first was a Commodore Vic20, then a spectrum, but i remember buying the spectrum magazines with the code of games printed inside on about 4 sides of A4 typing them in for hours to find they did not work or a slight print error.:bonk:

I can well remember typing in pages of text, that I really didn't understand at the time, just to get a program to run. It virtually always didn't run first time time round. Then you spent hours looking for the single character that you'd miss-typed!

Frustrating doesn't begin to describe it. How the hell did I end up working in IT? :puke:

Had one of the old atari PONG consoles when I was a wee nipper, sure I remember having it from about 3 years old.

At the age of 5 I read an article on running security for your home from a computer, so I asked my mum for one for xmas. I received a Commodore Vic20. I used to spend hours typing out games from the back of magazines, none ever worked though.

Next xmas I asked for a more powerful one and got a Commodore Vic Expanded.

At 7 a commodore 64, then at 11/12 an amiga 1200. From 15 onwards I was building my own PCs :)

My first hand-held computer was a Sharp PC 1251, though this isn't the exact model I had! The one I had only came with 1KB RAM, with a 16 charcter LCD. Not as versatile as the ZX80 .. but a lot more portable.

First Desktop was the Sharp MZ-80B; it ran CP/M, had twice graphics, and a built-in tape recorder. Excellent for loading BASIC and a whole world of other goodies.

First Portable was an amazing Epson HX-"0. It had a 20 x 4 character LCD, built-in tape, and a ROM module that could be exchanged for a thermal printer. How cool was that :)

The good old days, those were the times when men were men, and sheep were nervous :p

ZX81 > Speccy > C64 > then on to consoles.

That really was the day, the day the 16k ram pack arrived and allowed football manager to be played on the ZX81.....****, I didn't sleep for a week...:nuts:

nothings had the same impact since..

My parents bought the first PC I had access to around 1995. I believe it was a Pentium 2, had about 16mb of ram, 3GB hard disk, CDRom, Modem, 14"CRT, some massive beige speakers and it ran Windows 95.

ZX81 for me, bought off my school teacher. I was really jealous of the Spectrum he upgraded to when he used to bring it to the class with a tiny printer with silver paper on a roll where he printed out pretty shapes!!

Sure there was something inbetween that and my BBC B, which was used for Elite, as said before the best game ever!! So much so, I bought an old NES off the bay and bid soley on an Elite game that I won for about £70!!!! Had to have it!!

PC's since - and consoles for me.

Acorn Electron. Still got it, but it hasn't worked in years (decades). I can't bring myself to throw it away. I was in W. H. Smith once and asked my parents if they would buy me "Vindaloo" (game) but they refused on the basis that it was about toilets or some such. I must have spent hours loading Repton off cassette.

Another Electron followed the first one, followed by a BBC Model B, an Atari 520ST, an Acorn A3010 (still got), an Acorn RISC PC (still got), four PCs of varying sorts, a Mac mini and my current Mac Pro and Macbook Air.

Even now, nothing captures the good ol' days, despite all the power and all the ease of use of my current kit. It just isn't as fun as it was in the 1980s and early/mid 1990s.

First was a Sinclair spectrum, then hit the big time with a win 95 machine. Upgrade option to a 2gb hard drive too. Along with a 28k modem i thought it was the dogs :LOL: Worst thing was it cost us around £1500 :eek:

A Video Genie (Tandy TRS80 model I clone) for which I built a 16kB memory upgrade and a 5.25 floppy disk interface !

Ditto and ditto.

I collected old computers until recently, although I still have them! A know of a ZX80 kit that was unbuilt and still in the box with the original instructions etc that went for £1000. They were more rare as kits because most people were not up to building them.

Amstrad CPC 464 in about 1986?

800px-Amstrad_CPC464.jpg

Didn't understand how they worked then either :D

Yep this is the one our house 1st had.

Mom spent hours writing programs .. I just played manic miner and chuckie egg.. " Now them are classics"

md

Commodore C64
Commodore Amiga 500 (I loved IK+ on this!)
then the Commodore A1200 (which I think is in the loft!:thinking:)

Apple II, --> 486 DXII66 --> P100-->AMD 2G-->Laptop, no more PC

Apart from the Apple II, I built up other Desktops myself and updated the parts regularly. So I had more than 4 Desktops in four cases.

I'm only 15 so mines not that old, can't put a date on it though.

It had an AMD K6 400mhz processor, 32mb of ram, 4gig hard drive or thereabouts.

We then 'upgraded' to an additional 64mb ram, A 20 gig hard drive (still lying around somewhere, was still working when last used it 2-3 years ago) and ATI Rage Pro Graphics.

This ran windows 98, then ME.

Was always a horrendous thing to use, massively unstable, I always remember how it was unable to play any music using media player without crashing.

We still had it lying around until about 6 months ago when we took it down the tip.

The original Apple Mac, upgraded to the first European MacPlus by a friend from Palo Alto in 1985.

I still have it,AND IT STILL WORKS,with OS 7

Back