Right everyone... What was your first ever computer??

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I'll go first and admit to having an Acorn Electron!!! I even had the additional ROM cartridge system but that was after this photo was taken!! And check out the wonderful TV I had at the time....Oh and not to mention the curtains :eek:

Over to you then.... what did you have??

Image1240.jpg

I had a Dell with a 386 processor, 4MB of RAM and an 80GB HD!!!

My first computer is the one I still use at home. A Tiny 1GHz PC bought about nine years ago.

Steve.

A Sinclair ZX80 that I built from a kit.
I feel very old!

Amstrad CPC 464 in about 1986?

800px-Amstrad_CPC464.jpg

Didn't understand how they worked then either :D

I'd completely forgotten that I used to have an Amiga A500+ as well until an Amiga was mentioned, blimey this is all going back a few years :LOL:

When i was at school we used BBC Model B's....

A Sinclair ZX81, then a Commodore 64 (coz it had the sound chip called sid!) then a 486 25Mhz pc courtesy of radio rentals HP dept, then numerous self builds until 3 years ago then a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 Mac. Oh and a Dell tower for fannying around on.

I'd completely forgotten that I used to have an Amiga A500+ as well until an Amiga was mentioned, blimey this is all going back a few years :LOL:

When i was at school we used BBC Model B's....

When I was at school we used pen and paper :cool:

I'll go first and admit to having an Acorn Electron!!! I even had the additional ROM cartridge system but that was after this photo was taken!! And check out the wonderful TV I had at the time....Oh and not to mention the curtains :eek:

Over to you then.... what did you have??

Image1240.jpg

You were posh, I couldn't afford the ROM cartridge :(

Got a BBC Model B soon after, spent most of my time playing Elite! Still the best game I've ever played, I got to Elite and 1M credits in around 7 months, and no I didn't have a girlfriend....

You were posh, I couldn't afford the ROM cartridge :(

The only ROM cartridge i ever had though was the word processor program and without a printer it was a pretty useless feature :LOL:

Cant remember where I got it, secondhand at some event or jumble sale thingy i expect! It was replaced soon after by the Amiga...

I had a ZX81 as my first computer but my favourites were the Amigas which I still have and play around with now.
3777857889_b07fd6674c.jpg

When I was at school we used a tablet and chisel.............

My first one was a 286 with a 20MB HD and 5 1/4 floppy that I built myself out of spare parts, I wanted to know how these new fangled things worked so I bought a pallet of scrap ones and set about making some that worked out of them. Blew the first one up before i got the hang of it! :thinking:

A ZX81, I remember getting it home, switching it on, & typing "what's the longest river?", it replied, "syntax error", I thought it was faulty :thinking:, I was under the impression computers knew everything then, I had no idea they had to be programmed. Anyway, after that, a spectrum, then an Amstrad something with micro disc drive, then a BBC, then PC's :)

I had a commodore VIC 20...........Then i blew it up while trying to take over the world 8-}

Sony MSX
The principle was sound but it was
another great idea that fail

(rather like the Beta max v VHS)

The first I ever purchased myself was a some weird make that nobody had every heard of...

An Apple MacIntosh LC II.

Tandy TRS-80 Model I which I upgraded to 16kb :D

then, briefly, an Oric before I sent the dammed thing back.

Then a Dragon 32

The ubiquitous BBC Micro.

Oh the original Elite game.

Those were the days:)

Sinclair Spectrum 48K rubber keyed wonder-machine. I still long for a game of Match Day with my little bruv........

BBC 'B' was my first one - in 1982 or 83 I think.

Acorn Electron - still works
Commodore 64 - sold
Amstrad CPC464 - sold
Amiga 600 - still works
Compaq Deskpro 386 - stripped and binned due to upgrade
Compaq Deskpro 486 - stripped and binned due to upgrade
Some random Compaq laptop, 486 - i broke this by dropping it down the stairs
Self built Pentium 200mhz MMX - stripped and binned due to upgrade
Self built Pentium II 350mhz - stripped and binned due to upgrade
Self built Pentium III 750mhz - stripped and binned due to upgrade
iMac Bondi Blue - harddisc failed
iBook G3 - backlight failed 12 times in about 8 months. Apple replaced it twice and then replaced it with the G4
Self built high spec audio PC dual proc 2.0ghz - still going strong
iBook G4 - harddisc failed after 13 months. Apple refused to repair
MacBook Pro 15" - casing cracked and corroded, Apple repaired it. left fan failed and case corroded again after a further 2 months. then the harddisc failed after 15 months. battery expanded and no longer charges
Alienware Media Centre PC 2.8ghz - roof leak blew it up. insurance payout
Lenovo Thinkpad SL500 - my current machine

Plus a load of other randoms in between, like consoles and random laptops.

An Oric...I thought I was the only person who had one. The Hobbit NSEW + action button. LOL

Then a Speccy, Commodore 64, Amiga500, Amstrad 1512?, Apple Euro2, IBM XT8086, 286 self build, 386 self build, 486 PCWorld,then numerous laptops and desktops. All in 25 years...thats technology for you.

Looking at the timescales the jump between my first ones was around 6 to 9 months. Then stretching to 12 to 18 months once into the IBM (clone) x86. Now its around 3-4 years between machines.

Back