Review Ring48 LED ring light mini review

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I got it from ebay for macros.

It arrived in a fairly good looking box (will upload photos of the box and the product itself later).
Its contents were seated in a pretty stiff plastic and I accidentally opened the part that goes into the camera hot-shoe. I managed to put it back together, though.
What was in the package:
- the led ring
- the 'command unit' that fits into the camera hot-shoe (also a power source for the ring)
- ac adapter
- 2 batteries
- screw on adapters (49, 52, 55, 58, 62, 67mm ones)

Ones mounts the command unit onto the camera, screws the adapter on the front element of the lens like a filter and slides the led ring onto the adapter (or the adapter into the ring).

There's a cable on the ring that has to be connected to the command unit. It's long enough for my Sigma 70-300mm (also used for the photos below) at 70mm with three extension tubes (one set) used.

The ring can rotate on the adapter if the front element of your lens rotates as it focuses, which can be an advantage and should be fine unless you need to use only one of the sides of the ring.

Please excuse the poor backgrounds in photos of the product.

It arrived in a nice, but somewhat battered box:
dsc1797.jpg

The plastic in was seated in was so hard that I managed to open the command unit. It didn't hold together too well afterwards, so I put a rubber band on it and it's enough to keep it together (it's very light).

Close-up shots of the command unit:
dsc1819y.jpg

dsc1816.jpg

The ring itself:
dsc1831s.jpg

Back side of the ring:
dsc1828.jpg

You can choose to light up the whole right or a half of it:
dsc1840a.jpg

Last edited:
All shots were shot indoor with a Nikon D50 on a tripod, ISO 200, F4-F5.6.

Here's why I think it's good for macro, but not for anything where you would need to be more than 40 centimeters
away from the subject:

Distance: about 20 centimeters
Without ring48, 5 seconds of exposure:
dsc16721.jpg

With 48, 1/3 s:
dsc16671.jpg

Distance: about 33-34 centimeters
Without ring48, 5 s:
dsc16731.jpg

With 48, 1/2 s:
dsc16761.jpg

Distance: about 43-44 centimeters
Without ring48, 5 s:
dsc16821.jpg

With 48, 4 s:
dsc16841.jpg

Last edited:
lol, just spotted this after upping my review :)

Back