RIP Richard Burns

MattEg

TPer Emeritus
Name
Matthew Egan
Edit My Images
No
I've just learnt Richrd Rurns World Rally Champion 2001 has passed away at the age of 34.
This was after a long illness,trying to recover from a brain tumour.

Steve and I attended the last GB Rally he was due to appear in, with him pulling out after blacking out on his way to the event.

To me this has more impact than George Best passing away.

Richard Burns Website

This is very sad news to me, I had been aware that he had been continuously ill since his blackout but to go at such a young age is a shame.

I believe that he was a great guy as well, lliked by all they knew him.

Sad, sad time. :(

Great shame, very sad to see Gearoge Best go yesterday too. Unfortunately celebities go in groups of 3, the actor who played Mr Miagi(sic)in Karate Kid passed away too.

may they all rest in peace

EosD said:
Great shame, very sad to see Gearoge Best go yesterday too.

I figured by Matt's post that Besty had passed away...I cant say that I feel any sympathy for him though, the man was a fool to himself and with that sort of behaviour it was inevitable.

I feel for his long suffering family and friends though…it must have been difficult for them to watch the man basically killing himself.

Yeah, this is devastating news, met Burnsy several times, when i had contacts at the Subaru World Rally Team, introduced him to my friend Jamie from the states, even got her his autograph a few times !

A sad day indeed

To be honest George Best means little to me, as have never been into football, he may have had talent and been gods gift to football, but he never affected my life at all. I do feel sympathy for his long suffering family.

Here we go, my friend Jamie meeting Richard

Jamie_RichardBurns.jpg

Me in the background ! lol

I don't feel any sympathy for George Best either as it was all self-inflicted. I got my posted deleted by a moderator and a telling off by private message on another forum for saying much the same thing. WTF??

He was a good footballer and he blew it. He screwed up royally time after time after time, self-destructed, made a public show of himself, hit the bottle again after getting a liver transplant and therefore deserves no respect at all.

Richard Burns however.... yeah, very sad. Only 4 years old than me.

Matt said:
And I have the same opinion as Steve on the subject of Besty.

Me to !

GFK said:
I don't feel any sympathy for George Best either as it was all self-inflicted. I got my posted deleted by a moderator and a telling off by private message on another forum for saying much the same thing. WTF??

He was a good footballer and he blew it. He screwed up royally time after time after time, self-destructed, made a public show of himself, hit the bottle again after getting a liver transplant and therefore deserves no respect at all.

Ditto

Best is still dead, whatever the reasons for his illness, its still a shame that someone has passed away, like him or loathe him, he touched the lives of many many people and will be missed by many people. I didnt care for his lifestyle or behaviour, but that doesnt mean i shouldnt feel sad.

I don't think anyone is saying that you shouldn't feel bad or sorry for him, just that people shouldn't expect others to feel that way too. His lifestyle created many of his problems, and people quickly lose sympathy with others if they are self destructive or behave in an irresponsible manor...that goes for anyone, not just Best.

EosD said:
Best is still dead, whatever the reasons for his illness, its still a shame that someone has passed away, like him or loathe him, he touched the lives of many many people and will be missed by many people. I didnt care for his lifestyle or behaviour, but that doesnt mean i shouldnt feel sad.
Well said. He was a shy, unassuming guy with a tremendous talent but couldnt cope with the lifestyle thrust upon him. He had many chances to sort out his life but unfortunately failed to do so and hurt and dissapointed many in that process. Nevertheless he will always be a hero to many people.

Another of the same ilke is Alex Higgins. I suppose being the first superstar on the block is not a good idea if dont have the character to cope with it.

M

MTV are showing a documentary, its called, 'George Best Unplugged'.:whistling

:coat:

Matt said:
MTV are showing a documentary, its called, 'George Best Unplugged'.:whistling

:coat:

lol! :nono: :D

I'm quite disgusted with some of the posts I've just read here.

I'm not saying you can't have your opinion, many people loved him and many didn't... but to dissrespect a man the day after he died is shamefull. :headshake

I hope both Richard Burns and George Best RIP, they were both two amazing talents that were taken from us too soon.

I think both are a sad loss. With regard to George Best, I'm no football fan anyway, but there's no denying the man was gifted with an incredible talent.

It's easy to decry the man on the grounds that he should have drunk less, particularly after his liver transplant, but the fact is that by his own admission, he had a drink habit he couldn't lick. It's easy for those of us who don't have the problem to under-estimate how impossibly difficult it can be to break that dependance. He knew it would kill him and he still couldn't stop which says it all really.

CT said:
I think both are a sad loss. With regard to George Best, I'm no football fan anyway, but there's no denying the man was gifted with an incredible talent.

It's easy to decry the man on the grounds that he should have drunk less, particularly after his liver transplant, but the fact is that by his own admission, he had a drink habit he couldn't lick. It's easy for those of us who don't have the problem to under-estimate how impossibly difficult it can be to break that dependance. He knew it would kill him and he still couldn't stop which says it all really.

Have to agree with CT here. I view alchoholism as a horrible horrible addiction that must be incredibly difficult to kick. I know it's easy for an outsider to see it as self-inflicted, but there's no denying the difficulty in kicking that addiction.

Both men were loved by some and respected by many and are a loss to their followes and fans respectively.

Sonsey said:
I'm quite disgusted with some of the posts I've just read here.

I'm not saying you can't have your opinion, many people loved him and many didn't... but to dissrespect a man the day after he died is shamefull. :headshake

I hope both Richard Burns and George Best RIP, they were both two amazing talents that were taken from us too soon.

Sorry, I wasn't being disrespectful.
Put it down to a bad sense of humour.

I agree with what you have posted above.

Back