robp's 52 for 2010 week 15 - Single

People - well done for going out and getting the shot, and I know exactly how you feel about doing it. Personally I would prefer to see just a crop of the man without the distraction of the lads but can understand why you prefer to keep the whole scene.

Mechanical - I like your less obvious take on this and use of DOF - makes it looks quite sinister. The grass is a bit too bright for me, though - you might try desaturating the picture a bit, perhaps?

I think you'd have been better off concentrating on the blades. As it is I'm finding it difficult to make out what it is (even having been told) :) Your lighting and processing look good, it's just the composition that's not working for me here.

Thank you for your comments, Darren.
As I said, I wanted to get away from the usual depiction but maybe I've gone a tad too far away - wouldn't be the first time:LOL:

I'm not too sure that the green grass is adding anything though - in fact it's a bit distracting. Maybe try a B&W conversion? But overall I really like it.

Yes, the grass issue demonstrates my beginnerhood in all this.
I simply got me hedgetrimmer out of the van, stuck it in its usual habitat, ie the garden and tried different angles without too much consideration regarding the background.
B&W is an excellent suggestion, thank you. I think it works really well for this week's theme.

p.s. thank you for the opportunity to use the word "gubbins". It's one of those great words that I don't hear very often

My pleasure.
My dad used it all the time. I think it's a great word; perfectly descriptive.

Thank you for your critique and for the B&W suggestion - I'll post one forthwith.

B&W conversion.

DSC_0775800desat.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion, Sarah. I prefer it - much more of a gritty mechanical feel, I think.

Last edited:
Rob, I like that... it's unusual and the composition works for me... spot on for the theme

Many thanks, John:)

One of the many things I have already got out of doing this 52 is to look for different angles and compositions. Before I embarked on it I would have simply plonked the hedgetrimmer flat on the grass and snapped the entire thing - I wouldn't even have thought to do the obvious blade shot, never mind this.

People - well done for going out and getting the shot, and I know exactly how you feel about doing it. Personally I would prefer to see just a crop of the man without the distraction of the lads but can understand why you prefer to keep the whole scene.

Mechanical - I like your less obvious take on this and use of DOF - makes it looks quite sinister. The grass is a bit too bright for me, though - you might try desaturating the picture a bit, perhaps?

Many thanks for your comments on both images, Tracer.
I have posted a B&W mechanical image (above) but it hadn't crossed my mind to try a part desaturation. Great suggestion, thank you, I shall give it a try.

Catch up time for me, Rob (still haven't got my computer back, Grr....)

:shake: That must be getting somewhat irksome now.

People: I noticed a small area of redness around the snow-shoveller's ear (was it really that cold!), and the potential for a surprise encounter as the yoofs approach him unseen. btw - it's interesting that a lot of people seem to have been expecting a less friendly encounter with the yoofs, who look perfectly harmless to me. But then I used to teach 16-18year olds! ;) I do worry about the red jumper and pink shades though - it's pure eye-torture. :LOL: :)

Yes, it was cold - certainly colder that the yoofs' eye-tormenting garnments seem to suggest. Interesting point about the expected outcome of the meeting. As I said earlier, they simply stopped for a friendly chat but perhaps we do unfairly judge all of yoofdom because of a miscreant minority.

Mechanical: Wow - I thought at first I was looking down the barrel of a gun. :eek: That's got real impact and is a great take on the theme. :clap:

Thank you:)

Part desaturation:

DSC_0775800partdesat.jpg

I do like this lots. I think that keeping a bit of tone in the grass gives a much better contrast between the machine and grass than in the B&W version.

Anyway, nearly time to hand in this week's homework so I'll round off with this swifty snap just to put the above gubbins into context:

DSC_0813600.jpg

Last edited:
I can see what you are trying to achieve Rob.

For me the black and white still works better but I can't explain why.

I think I prefer the desaturated version over the b&w, for the same reasons as you do - I prefer it with a bit of background colour. I do like this shot, I like the angle you've used along the blade, as it's not the usual image you tend to see of a hedgetrimmer and it's made it look alot more interesting. Well done :)

I'm going with the desaturated version too. Altho I was pretty sure I knew what I was looking at, it still made me ask questions, adding a bit of mystery to the shot. Only when I scrolled down to the next image and saw the trimmer in its full glory were my suspicions confirmed.
Great shot and and great capture for the theme.

I can see what you are trying to achieve Rob.

For me the black and white still works better but I can't explain why.

Thank you, Andy.
No need to explain; all this stuff is purely subjective, after all.
Just pleased you looked in and left a comment.

I think I prefer the desaturated version over the b&w, for the same reasons as you do - I prefer it with a bit of background colour. I do like this shot, I like the angle you've used along the blade, as it's not the usual image you tend to see of a hedgetrimmer and it's made it look alot more interesting. Well done :)

Thank you very muchly, Kay:)

I'm going with the desaturated version too. Altho I was pretty sure I knew what I was looking at, it still made me ask questions, adding a bit of mystery to the shot. Only when I scrolled down to the next image and saw the trimmer in its full glory were my suspicions confirmed.
Great shot and and great capture for the theme.

Thank you for your comments, Rich. Glad it got you thinkin' :)

Week 9 - Play

I immediately knew what I wanted to do for this week's challenge, what with me having spent the last two weeks teaching my son how to play chess, and all that.
I intended to call it, 'Check Mate,' which it's about to be.

I wanted to add a bit of action to the game of chess so I went for a bit of motion blur, which he has duly provided.

However, when I looked through my shots I realised that I had made a mistake in my set up - the knight (the horsey-looking one, for non-chess peeps) is facing the wrong way.
But this was rather fortuitous because it gave rise to my much preferred title:

Oh b****x, Thought the Knight, Not Again.

DSC_0872800.jpg

Last edited:
The use of motion blur really makes this shot. I think it is visually appealing but it would be even better if the knight was not off to the side (as you mentioned) and also I'd like to see the corner of the board.

Phil

Whilst the knight facing the wrong way doesn't break any of the rules of chess I do think it would have made that little difference to the image itself. Lighting looks good and the motion blur is spot on. The corner crop is a little annoying, but only a little :)

I really like this shot, the motion caught is clearly the last movement in this game and for me the Knight looks about ready to pack it in and get back to the nice dark box in the cupboard... "seen it all before mate..."

Arthur

I take back what I said about the B&W conversion on mechanical - after seeing all 3, partly desaturated gets my vote (y)
It somehow adds more impact to the trimmer, but that hint of colour gives it a real lift.

Play : :clap: :clap: :clap:
Absolutely love it.
My favourite so far out of your 52.

Composition is spot on. I love the way that you've handled the motion blur - and the comedy title / positioning of the knight made me smile :)
The lighting and DoF work perfectly too.

I can't say much more than that, other than well done!!!

Mechanical (revisited): Yep - love the desaturated version. :)

Play: This has great visual appeal for me. I don't play chess (having tried and got totally confused about which peices move in which way!) so the knight facing the wrong way doesn't worry me at all. I like the fact that you've used the white piece for the movement and made it look slightly ghostly. I like the dof and the black pieces look very good on the white squares. The board itself has a 3-D look rather like individual tiles,and the composition leads the eye round the picture. :clap::clap::clap:

I hope your son's enjoying playing. :)

Jean

I like it Rob... it's almost like the knight is trying to run off... ;)... The motion blur works very well. I didn't notice the clipped corner until it was mentioned... but now I can't shake it.

Play is brilliant - about the best of the chess shots, I think. You have captured the motion blur perfectly and I agree that the sideways knight just makes the picture. Love the title :D

thats great.. like the blur and B+W conversion.. would never hve known the 'horsey one' was facing the wrong way ;)

I like the blur effect to. It suggests to me that someone has made a decision and is going for it:) Great shot.

Whilst the knight facing the wrong way doesn't break any of the rules of chess I do think it would have made that little difference to the image itself. Lighting looks good and the motion blur is spot on. The corner crop is a little annoying, but only a little :)

The use of motion blur really makes this shot. I think it is visually appealing but it would be even better if the knight was not off to the side (as you mentioned) and also I'd like to see the corner of the board.

Phil

Thank you for your comments, gents.

Yes, I do agree that, setup wise, I should have made the knight face forwards and I noticed the missing board corner, too.
And I have to own up: both points went unnoticed until after I had finished shooting.

Thing is, I actually like the corner missing, even though I didn't actually intend it to happen. I also like the combination of title and offset knight, even though that was a salvage operation.
So in that respect I see it as two happy accidents. However, your comments have reinforced something that I am acutely aware of but seem to fail admirably at addressing every time I press the shutter release...ATTENTION TO DETAIL.

I really like this shot, the motion caught is clearly the last movement in this game and for me the Knight looks about ready to pack it in and get back to the nice dark box in the cupboard... "seen it all before mate..."

Arthur

Thank you.
Yes, I was pleased with the motion - it's what I was really working on. It took loads of shots to get it right. My niggle is that there's a little snippet of chess piece (rook, I think) just visible top left of the frame. Think I'll be doing a Photoshopped 'off with his head' thing soon.

Play : :clap: :clap: :clap:
Absolutely love it.
My favourite so far out of your 52.

Composition is spot on. I love the way that you've handled the motion blur - and the comedy title / positioning of the knight made me smile :)
The lighting and DoF work perfectly too.

I can't say much more than that, other than well done!!!

Thank you very much indeed:)

Mechanical (revisited): Yep - love the desaturated version. :)

Play: This has great visual appeal for me. I don't play chess (having tried and got totally confused about which peices move in which way!) so the knight facing the wrong way doesn't worry me at all. I like the fact that you've used the white piece for the movement and made it look slightly ghostly. I like the dof and the black pieces look very good on the white squares. The board itself has a 3-D look rather like individual tiles,and the composition leads the eye round the picture. :clap::clap::clap:

I hope your son's enjoying playing. :)

Jean

Thank you, Jean.
Yep, he's enjoying it loads, especially when I let him win the odd game.

I like it Rob... it's almost like the knight is trying to run off... ;)... The motion blur works very well. I didn't notice the clipped corner until it was mentioned... but now I can't shake it.

I had noticed the corner - it was a careless oversight in my setup - but I rather like it. Many thanks for commenting:)

HI, Rob. I realy like your image for week 9, good use of motion blur and i agree its your best picture yet.

Thank you. I agree that it's my best thus far. One thing I'm learning in this 52 is to take care and do some planning for my shots and I think that reflects in this shot, despite the clipped corner and wrongly positioned knight.

:agree: Nice one Rob! Great composition and the blur looks good.

Cheers, Rob

Many thanks, Rob

Great shot Rob, pretty spot on with the execution. i love the little error with the knight this makes the shot.

Yes, I agree. However, it has shown me that more care needs to be taken with my setup. Thanks for looking in.

Play is brilliant - about the best of the chess shots, I think. You have captured the motion blur perfectly and I agree that the sideways knight just makes the picture. Love the title :D

thank you, Tracer. Pleased you like it.

thats great.. like the blur and B+W conversion.. would never hve known the 'horsey one' was facing the wrong way ;)

Thank you. The horsey one shouldn't have been facing the wrong way, but I'm pleased it was.

I like the blur effect to. It suggests to me that someone has made a decision and is going for it:) Great shot.

Thanks for popping in and for your comments, Lizbeth.

Week 10 - Chemistry

Undoubted first choice was to teach my son the joys of Pepsi and Mentos, but Mrs Robp didn't like the idea of all the mess, even though we said we'd do it in the garden.

Anyway, I decided instead to teach him about acid/base reactions with the aid of wine vinegar and baking soda.

I think this looks like a bit of a snap but I got what I wanted:
He'd never seen this before so I wanted to get his facial expression when the reaction happened. Obviously it was a one-off chance situation so other techical aspects, like lighting (I simply stood him in the sun, but it has caused a couple of iffy shadows on his face, such as at the top of his nose) had to be overlooked - I'm not yet good enough to bear all that in mind as well as capture a one-off chance.

DSC_0978800.jpg

PS Mrs Robp has since relented, so it's Pepsi and Mentos in the garden next weekend:):):):clap::clap::clap:(y)(y) (y)

Last edited:
The look on his face is a picture. The lighting isn't bad and the background is good, but his expression makes it (y)

The look on his face is a picture. The lighting isn't bad and the background is good, but his expression makes it (y)

I really like this shot - the look on your son's face is priceless:clap:

Thank you for your comments:)

The facial expression was what I was aiming for more than anything else so I'm pleased it has worked.

I took eight shots as the reaction happened and when I looked through them again this morning I realised that perhaps a better depiction would be this:

montage800.jpg

It shows the facial expression changing as the experiment progresses.

I took eight shots as the reaction happened and when I looked through them again this morning I realised that perhaps a better depiction would be this:

montage800.jpg

It shows the facial expression changing as the experiment progresses.

BRILLIANT :clap:

nuff said.

Back