robp's 52 for 2010 week 15 - Single

Reshoot

There was no question about what this would be. Robp Jr has been nagging constantly about the Pepsi/Mentos thing since the chemistry shoot and as I'd promised him we'd do it this weekend, it all fitted in rather nicely with the theme.

so here we are:

Chemistry Reshot

final800.jpg

Again it's not splendid photography but I got what I wanted. Rather annoyed that I chopped off his head and behind in the final image, though.

It would have been nice if the following shot was better captured as it rounds things off and also provides a fourth image, thus providing a tenuous link to the Quad theme. Alas, it's a totally rubbish shot, what with all the junk in the background and all that. Also, I was a fraction too slow in getting the shot. I think it would have been better if I'd got it when Robp Jr was in mid-leap away from the bottle.

DSC_1042800.jpg

Last edited:
Well I think your only option is to get down to the corner shop and get a new bottle of pepsi and some new mentos and try again. I'm sure Robp junior would be happy to.

I think the first one works well as it is. I don't think it matters that his head is slightly clipped - you'd expect him to leap out of the frame when it explodes.

Backgrounds can be really difficult in an ordinary domestic setting. As Mike says you'll just have to keep on trying....

Well I think your only option is to get down to the corner shop and get a new bottle of pepsi and some new mentos and try again. I'm sure Robp junior would be happy to.

Already planned, Mike:)

Robp Jr ain't the only one who wants to do this gain. Mrs Robp isn't so keen, given how he got coke all over his coat and trackies, but I guess it's a boy thing.

We've got plans for multiple blasts.
I've got plans to shoot the thing a darn sight better.

Thanks for looking in.

I think the first one works well as it is. I don't think it matters that his head is slightly clipped - you'd expect him to leap out of the frame when it explodes.

Backgrounds can be really difficult in an ordinary domestic setting. As Mike says you'll just have to keep on trying....

Thank you for your comments, Tracer.
You're certainly right about domestic settings. They irritate with their willingness to get in the way!

Keep on trying we will. Purely so that I can perfect my shoot, of course.
Actually that's a fib....I like doing it, kid that I am.

And then I thought that seeing as this is chemistry, I ought to experiment:

DSC_1042edit800bexperimented.jpg

Nothing serious; just a jiggle or two in Photoshop. Something I thought it was about time I tried.

The Triptych is great, and I agree it doesn't matter about the chopped head and behind... he's leaping away after all. Looks like he had fun too ... A shame about the clutter... just have to redo it :D... (I see that you have another shoot planned ...;)) Interesting idea in the jiggle...

Like it! What you could do for the re-shoot is put a small trip wire behind him so as he goes to step away as the pepsi explodes he falls over and then gets covered in the pepsi.

He might not like it and MrsRobP definitely won't but it's all in the name of art!

Mrs RobP is going to ban you from TP if we keep encouraging you to do things like this :LOL:
But I actually think that a couple more reshoots (just to make sure you absolutely 100% perfect the technique) might be in order.

(y) Looks like you had great fun with this again - and the expression on his face says it all.
The triptych works well for me, and I think you could get away with adding that 4th image to it. Crop it so that it's just showing the bottle against the fence after he's jumped out of the way - it would tell the whole story and make sense of the clipped head and bottom in the 3rd shot.

The crazy PP one really made me smile :D
Completely OTT, but actually very appealing at the same time.

The Triptych is great, and I agree it doesn't matter about the chopped head and behind... he's leaping away after all. Looks like he had fun too ... A shame about the clutter... just have to redo it :D... (I see that you have another shoot planned ...;)) Interesting idea in the jiggle...

Many thanks John.
Yep, just have to redo it...and the clutter has absolutely no bearing on that decision:LOL:

Like it! What you could do for the re-shoot is put a small trip wire behind him so as he goes to step away as the pepsi explodes he falls over and then gets covered in the pepsi.

He might not like it and MrsRobP definitely won't but it's all in the name of art!

I like the cut of your whotsit, good sir.
Marvellous suggestions to enable me to push my art (and almost certainly my marriage) to the limit, thank you:)

Mrs RobP is going to ban you from TP if we keep encouraging you to do things like this :LOL:
But I actually think that a couple more reshoots (just to make sure you absolutely 100% perfect the technique) might be in order.

(y) Looks like you had great fun with this again - and the expression on his face says it all.
The triptych works well for me, and I think you could get away with adding that 4th image to it. Crop it so that it's just showing the bottle against the fence after he's jumped out of the way - it would tell the whole story and make sense of the clipped head and bottom in the 3rd shot.

The crazy PP one really made me smile :D
Completely OTT, but actually very appealing at the same time.

Thank you Sarah.
More activity planned and I promise to blame it all on the artistic and scientific forwarding of Robp Jr's development, rather than on TP:)

I'll try the additional fourth image. Good suggestion, ta. Though I agree with you that this might be better presented after a couple more reshoots.

As to the PP. I'm getting adventurous beyond the point of photography on Photoshop nowadays but for some reason it hadn't really crossed my mind to include any in my 52 until now.

Last edited:
This is officially this week's Shoot, but with a hark back to last week's Quad.

And it's about the ins and outs of the beautiful game.

So, shoot?

Easy, I thought. I am assistant manager of Robp Jr's u11 football team so decided that at yesterday's training session I'd set up a shooting drill and, well, shoot.
Thing is, said u11's were so dire in training that I almost lost the will to live and couldn't be bothered even to get my camera out of my van.

Then yesterday afternoon my local team, Mickleover Sport, who are fifteen points clear at the top of the Unibond Southern Division, were playing at home. Robp Jr and I did our usual ten minute cycle to the ground and I thoroughly enjoyed snapping away.
So much so that I can now present a Quad shot and a Shoot shot:

Quad

quad800.jpg

Stud damage on our keeper(dirty oppo forward), dirty oppo keeper brings down our forward, dirty oppo midfielder deservedly booked, useless oppo keeper fails to stop our magnificent thirty yard free kick...not that I'm biased, of course:LOL::LOL:

And here's Shoot

DSC_1108800.jpg

Admittedly rather good airborn oppo forward acrobatically slotting home.
(Mind you, we won 4-2:))

And Oh, what a beautiful game.
Yesterday the Mighty Blues beat dull, dull (again, again) Villa to reach the FA Cup final...again.
And today the fading Mancs drew with Blackburn in the Prem, while Portsmouth beat London's Third best team in the FA Cup and so face Chelsea in the final. Looks like it's a double for the Mighty Blues, then:):):)

Last edited:
A good pair of interpretations Rob... Quad works well and tells a bit of the story of the game itself.

Shoot is a perfectly timed moment and fits the theme so well

Easy, I thought. I am assistant manager of Robp Jr's u11 football team so decided that at yesterday's training session I'd set up a shooting drill and, well, shoot.

I read this bit and then caught sight of the photos.
Was just about to comment about you growing your U11's big in Derby :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I know absolutely nothing about sports photography, but I'm always a bit in awe of anyone who freezes the motion mid game.
All of these look good to me.
Good arrangement for quad, but the standalone image for shoot is superb IMO.
So much going on in there and you've frozen the moment perfectly :clap:

Nice shoot shot Rob.

Nicely caught the action and bang on theme.

Would like to have seen the keepers face in the shot but thats just being nitpciky.

Did it go in?

Do you like football, Rob? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Chemistry reshoot: Little Robp looks as though he's really enjoying the chemistry there - and you can't always control the background. The digied chemistry shot is fun - I like the flame effect. :)

Shoot: The quad shots - the oppo need shooting, if you ask me - but don't because I know nothing about footie. :D The photos look full of action though, and I hope your injured keeper survived. :)

Shoot: Well caught - a good action shot. (y)

Jean

A good pair of interpretations Rob... Quad works well and tells a bit of the story of the game itself.

Shoot is a perfectly timed moment and fits the theme so well

Many thanks, John.

What really irked me about this was that I was snapping away, trying to get my timing spot on. I took stacks of shots during the match but most have got bits of players missing or no ball in the shot etc.
Then when I got home and mentioned to Mrs Robp the difficulty in getting exactly the right shot she said, 'What, so you didn't use continuous shooting then?'

I didn't 'alf feel a right div. It hadn't even crossed my mind.:bonk:

Having said that, I did some shots at yesterday's match, in which Mickleover Sports won 3-0 and so clinched promotion to the Unibond Premier and I deliberately didn't use continuous shooting. Sure, I would have had more chances of getting perfectly timed shots, but I actually enjoy the challenge of trying to do it in one...even though I generally fail:LOL:

Last edited:
I read this bit and then caught sight of the photos.
Was just about to comment about you growing your U11's big in Derby :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I know absolutely nothing about sports photography, but I'm always a bit in awe of anyone who freezes the motion mid game.
All of these look good to me.
Good arrangement for quad, but the standalone image for shoot is superb IMO.
So much going on in there and you've frozen the moment perfectly :clap:

Well, I'm pleased we don't grow U11s that big cos Robp Jnr already eats us out of house and home as it is!

Thank you for your comments. I also know nothing about sports photography.
Well, actually I knew nothing. Now I know that it's a darn sight harder than it looks. You have to grab the shot in an instant, which means anticipating the right moment, which I found means you have to have camera pointing in one direction (where you anticipate the action is about to be) whilst looking out of the corner of your eye at something that is happening possibly fifty or more yards away. Players are jostling back and forth which plays havoc with your focussing but, you know, I actually rather enjoy it.

As with the food photography I did for the Produce theme, I have learned to appreciate the skill that goes into this type of photography.

Last edited:
Nice shoot shot Rob.

Nicely caught the action and bang on theme.

Would like to have seen the keepers face in the shot but thats just being nitpciky.

Did it go in?

Cheers Dan.

Nope, that's not being nitpickly at all. in fact it is my major criticism and disappointment with this shot.
Yes, it did go in which brings me back to getting the timing right, as mentioned in my replies to Sarah and John. To see the keeper's face and the ball on the right hand side of the post would have completed this shot a treat. Both would have been sorted if I'd shot a few moments later.

Do you like football, Rob? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Chemistry reshoot: Little Robp looks as though he's really enjoying the chemistry there - and you can't always control the background. The digied chemistry shot is fun - I like the flame effect. :)

Shoot: The quad shots - the oppo need shooting, if you ask me - but don't because I know nothing about footie. :D The photos look full of action though, and I hope your injured keeper survived. :)

Shoot: Well caught - a good action shot. (y)

Jean

Nope, can't stick the game:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Thank you as always for your comments and yep, keeper survived to get a little scratch on his leg another day:)

Firstly, my apologies for an abject paucity of comments on threads this week - it's been one of those weeks but hopefully all should be back to normal tomorrow.

This week's theme was causing me problems. I couldn't get beyond single red roses and stuff which I thought was a bit unoriginal. And then, despite the fact that I never give Mrs Robp single red roses (what with it being unoriginal and all that!), she came up with this splendid suggestion.

Single

DSC_1175800l.jpg

What I found interesting about this was the focussing/motion blur issues. I was initially focussing on the label in the middle of the record because the theme is Single. I also wanted motion blur.
Thing is, with the arm out of focus and the label blurred, the entire shot looked, well, a blimmin mess. The only way I could think of to solve this was to focus on the arm, despite the intended subject being the record.
Fascinating to fiddle around with, though(y)

By the way, for you young un's this a 45rpm record (known, back in the day, as a single) being played on a record deck. It's an ancient tech method for recording and reproducing sound.

Last edited:
I too like this Rob, good composition/crop, the movement is good too, focussing on the arm as opposed to the record/single works. The blue lighting I like too. All round (y) from me. Iain

This is great Rob.

I know what a single is and thought about that subject myself. I haven't got a record deck so couldn't come up with an interesting shot of them though.

Yours is spot on. Focussing on the stylus has worked brilliantly. The blur of the record makes for a great image. Well done (y)

Andy

It's an ancient tech method for recording and reproducing sound.

Hey - less of the ancient please! :p
(And I remember using telephones with a big dial on the front too :LOL:)

For me the focus is just where it needs to be. If focusing on the single meant either a completely blurred shot or a stationary record, I'm happy with the compromise you made.

It definitely gets a (y) from me.
Love the motion in it and as others have said the bluish light really makes it.

Like this shot, its a different take on single and works well. The focus is spot on

Excellent - agree with the rest that the composition, lighting, focus and motion blur is spot on.

I hope you have finally given Mrs R some roses!

A very original and different take on 'single' and as others have said already, composition, focussing and lighting is spot on.

EDIT - just realised that my comment is almost identical to that of Tracer's! Still a great shot though!

Last edited:
Excellent - agree with the rest that the composition, lighting, focus and motion blur is spot on.

I hope you have finally given Mrs R some roses!

A very original and different take on 'single' and as others have said already, composition, focussing and lighting is spot on.

EDIT - just realised that my comment is almost identical to that of Tracer's! Still a great shot though!

At the risk of being very boring - I agree with both of them!!! (y)

btw - what were you playing?

and while on the subject of remembering singles and telephones with dials - I can remeber televisions you had to put on 5 minutes before the programme started so the valves could warm up! :(

Jean

It works for me Rob... the focus on the arm is spot on. An excellent take on the theme... I have some of those old things still, and even a turntable and amp... of course the amount of space they take up along with speakers and the wiring needed etc, mean they have been packed away... The sounds is as good on the TV with the DVD player playing CD's so that gets used instead...

Do like that. I think the blue light really enhances it. My only comment would be I would prefer the DOF to be slightly deeper to include the wiring at the back of the stylus arm thing (sorry, record players are before my time just). Still, a great image!

Hi Rob,

Catching up on threads I have completely missed, and I'm sorry I didn't manage to make this one before now (at least I think I didn't...)

52's like this, with a nice bit of prose (and an opportunity to learn new words such as paucity (y) ) make the project worthwhile.

Anyway.... I won't go into lots of detail this week, but will bookmark to try and keep up, but for me Chemistry really stands ouot, with lots of photos, lots of comments, and a real in-depth look at what you were messing around at. The expression changes you've captured really show you know what you were after, even if the shots aren't technically spot on. Candids like that are all the better for it (IMO).

Single is a nice well composed, well lit, and a good study of ancient music technology. My #2 daughter thinks they're either coasters or frisbees and keeps wanting to put one in the oven. Good job it's all on mp3 now...

Keep up the good work!

Ian.

Back