Ross 52 for 2018 Thread 'Week 31 - Short'

Not too sharp but perhaps it's a difficult subject to focus on. Fab pov and compo.

I was googling old buildings in London last weekend, and learnt thats some of these bits of wood in the river are the oldest man made structures in London.

Not too sharp but perhaps it's a difficult subject to focus on. Fab pov and compo.

I was googling old buildings in London last weekend, and learnt thats some of these bits of wood in the river are the oldest man made structures in London.

Yea. Its a cool place to shoot. Loads of people picking through the shore looking for old stuff too. Loads of wooden piles and structures. Worth a visit when the tide is out.

Week 6 - Sharp

Spent a while thinking about this one this week. Tried to take a few shots of double edge razor blades I use for shaving, but inside, set up shots aren't really my thing. I mean I don't even own a flash...

Anyway. Took a trip to the Barbican Conservatory yesterday (worth a visit if you have a chance) which is only open to the public on Bank holidays and selected Sundays, but they have an arid room there full of prickly plants.

Even though someone else has got in before me with the cactus shot (and I think it even the same type of cactus) here my week 6.

Sharp and Pointy.jpg

It is on theme, but I'm afraid it doesn't really work for me, too busy, too green. Have you tried going closer (or a tighter crop)?

It certainly fits the them but as Bernd said for me it would work better with s tighter crop

Second one for me and bang on theme - they are 'orribly sharp things, those

I'd say an even tighter crop ... bring the eye into what is sharp.

The wood doesn't look overly sharp but it's a good composition with the aged wood contrasted against the Shard in the background

Im with Chris, the wood isnt quite as sharp as Id like, possibly missed focus. IDK...great composition tho.

Hi Ross,

Age - Agree with the comments about any perceived lack of sharpness not being a problem, the content of the shot is what matters. I like it.
Sharp - The beauty of commenting late is getting to see any improved versions. #2 is the better of the two for me, the tighter crop does help.

Age(ing) - It is a nice composition but the wood doesn't seem all that sharp to me, but it does fit the theme.

Sharp - I agree with the other peoples comments on the first image. Your second image is a little bit better, box ticked as it fits the theme.

Last edited:
Week 7 - Guard

After my slightly disappointing shot last week, and a very busy schedule this week, I'm not holding out much hope for this weeks entry.

Only managed to get out properly once this week, took a trip down to Horse Guards Parade but it was super busy and I didn't really get many clean shots that I was happy with.

So I have fallen on my back up plan, so as not to fall behind.

The worlds worst Guard dog. I give you.... Ron.

Week 7 - Guard.jpg

Last edited:
As I've said on other comments...it's a picture of a dog so it gets my vote.

Great "Guarded" shots Sir, both lovely shots with the second image being more suited to the theme in my book.(y)

George.

Week 8 - Thick

Thick. Well, I was slightly nervous about what would pop up in the thread for this one, but so far all is good.

I got a few snow shots but nothing that stood out, especially when I thought people in more rural areas, with snow that doesn't instantly turn to grey/brown sludge, would potentially have much nicer cleaner images. I'm hoping that my image will be fairly unique and that not many people will go down the same route. Walking round in the bitter cold was not easy, but took these under Blackfriars Station at about 10pm, in the wind and snow. Jeez. The things I do to try and get a decent shot. These girders are HUGE. Like, proper thick buggers. Hope it fits the theme.

I know the processing is very hard, and in your face but its the look I wanted when I took the shot.

"Thick Symmetry"

Thick.jpg

On Flickr

Last edited:
Week 8 - Thick

Thick. Well, I was slightly nervous about what would pop up in the thread for this one, but so far all is good.

I got a few snow shots but nothing that stood out, especially when I thought people in more rural areas, with snow that doesn't instantly turn to grey/brown sludge, would potentially have much nicer cleaner images. I'm hoping that my image will be fairly unique and that not many people will go down the same route. Walking round in the bitter cold was not easy, but took these under Blackfriars Station at about 10pm, in the wind and snow. Jeez. The things I do to try and get a decent shot. These girders are HUGE. Like, proper thick buggers. Hope it fits the theme.

I know the processing is very hard, and in your face but its the look I wanted when I took the shot.

"Thick Symmetry"

View attachment 121188

On Flickr
Annoying how the exposure is really under on here yet looks great on my mac. Grrrrr

I like it a lot Ross - I think the framing is great from the light at the top to the darker lower end draws you in. I like the detail aswell

And there was me thinking it was a strong artistic choice to have the image fade to black like that.
Certainly hits the theme. Nice bit of symmetry. I like it.

Haha. It does naturally fade to dark but I wanted to keep some of the shapes following down to the bottom. On my phone etc.. it fades a bit darker than I hoped.

I like it a lot Ross - I think the framing is great from the light at the top to the darker lower end draws you in. I like the detail aswell

Thanks. I nearly walked a different route, so was glad when I came across one of the few bridges you can actually walk under.

Thick, I like the heavy engineering, and it conveys that over built to last for eternity construction of the time. A good choice for thick and well shot, the fade into darkness works for me.

Sharp - nice sharp focus right where it should be and some very sharp points too.
Guard - nicely lit I like the second shot better.
Thick - great structural shot I like the symmetry

Back