Ross Harvey - Street Photographer in Cuba

Thanks for the link. The stories really transcend the technicalities. Love it.

I was disappointed when I followed the link. Most of the pictures just didn't hold my attention.

Quite a few shots there that got me to really think and absorb everything! Great set imo.

I wonder what the reaction to those snaps would be if the photographer was unknown ...

There are some excellent images there but I wouldn't of known this was Cuba even though I spend a week in Havana in December. I'm not keen on every single one but I think by and large they are very good.

I was disappointed when I followed the link. Most of the pictures just didn't hold my attention.

Really? I find that interesting as many held my attention with multiple layers... things I never seen the first time round, ala Alex Webb.

Each to their own though of course :)

I really like the header image on that blog page - it's classic Cuba with old guys in hats hanging round on streets with coloured walls. Classic goodness.
There are some other interesting ones, but I don't get lots of the others and tbh just find them a bit awkward.

Very inspirational pics! :) They remembered me my friend's pictures taken in Cuba and selected by Olympus official page :)

I wonder what the reaction to those snaps would be if the photographer was unknown ...

Well, I know of him but I certainly don't know him, and my reaction is mostly...

There's a few I really like but most look more like holiday snaps and a few look like holidays snaps gone wrong

Clearly not my cuppa whoever took them

Dave

A few good shots, I cant help thinking that artistic vision has gone too far. Just my opinion. Regards Gary

Have to say I thought it was just me, honestly not blown away and perhaps it was all the heralds on his blog such as xxx of the year that got me expecting magic, great shots but in truth nothing I wouldn't expect to find from any number of members here and I'll even be so bold as to suggest you could find better by complete amateurs on sites like 500px and flckr.

It's an art thing obviously, by that in the same way a sculpture might really touch someone deeply on several levels whilst the next person may just see it as technically well presented and nothing more.

Now there's someone who can see.

Agreed. He's shooting things as he sees them, and reacting to what is around him, and NOT going there with a prescriptive view of what he's going to shoot based on a load of baggage regarding composition, style, or aesthetic concerns. Just reacting. As a result they're immediate, raw, exciting.

Best being No3 for me... Timing!
I gave up half way through.

I agree - I find them very interesting from a compositional point of view. He places people/faces/figures/shadows in various layers or planes of view to make the composition interesting, using street paintings or objects to further enhance the symmetry or composition.

I'm really not that much into street photography - I find most of it quite boring, but I like his work.

Really? I find that interesting as many held my attention with multiple layers... things I never seen the first time round, ala Alex Webb.

Each to their own though of course :)

Ive not heard of him before so thanks for the share I'll be following him.b I agree woth a lot of what has already been said. he does remind me of Alex Webb. The series could do with a editing a few images out and the header image is my favourite also.

I need to check through his other series he very good tog and very much what I'm interested in.

I liked the latter ones more but for the most part I've seen much better and most on here.

Very mixed bag. He's got a good eye for a decisive moment and a sense of humour too, but sometimes it falls over or looks like a copy of a 'classic' shot. Some definitely look like someone's holiday snaps - the boy jumping into the sea for example - while other make me wonder if he replaced colours in clothes during post.

I guess one man's street photography is another's random snapping.

I have to say they are mostly very interesting, certainly not your normal holiday shots.

I liked the latter ones more but for the most part I've seen much better and most on here.
You must be looking in a different place than me then because generally speaking, the street photography I've seen posted here is quite poor:confused:

Some nice work there. (Couldn't care less what gear he uses though :confused:).

I personally like seeing what kit people use find it helpful in my own photo's

never heard of him personally and its a lovely set...just wish I had the confidence to do street photography myself :(

Back