Royal car attacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
:shrug:

It doesn't matter, it's the pay, working conditions and other negatives that are putting people off from choosing it as a career. Did you read my post? :wacky:

Oh, and guess who pays the NHS btw?

People have done it before, and are still doing it. Do you even have any common sense?

And the last point just makes no sense on how it's chosen as a career.

Do you think that that was why I was selective in picking out the "mickey mouse" subjects?

Seems a somewhat cynical plan to turn every corner shop learning establishment into a university and then fill them up with students studying Mickey Mouse subjects; a strategy that does little for the country other than articially reducing the unemployment statistics.

Yes, that's exactly what happened with the Polytechnics. Higher education has been mismanaged for decades by governments of all persuasions.

It's ridiculous that some moderately paid, but essential jobs like nursing require a degree (or will do from 2013). Will these students be subjected to the tuition fees? If so, I can predict a severe shortage of nurses in future.

What happened is that Blair looked around the world and saw that countries with thriving and growing economies had 50% of children going on to university.

So he changed all the polytechnics to universities and said we had to have 50% of kids at university so we can become a thriving and growing economy.

What he failed to realize was that these countries could afford to send 50 % to university because they were thriving and growing economies.

I never did that actually. I'm studying Natural Hazard Management with Geography (Geography being one of the most employable degree's as well).

Staff Edit: Personal Insult Removed

And how is it a classic example of doing what they did? Are you resentful of something against students?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at all, nothing against students. But it's interesting to see how quickly you've got personal. No need for that :nono:

I'm a little confused, you said you never did that course (Natural Hazard Management with Geography), but in that post it's the same course as you've just said above?

About schools closing at the drop of a single snow flake, well the solution to that is easy, do what some US states do and have a minium number of days the school must be open and everyday you close in winter you lose off the summer hols.

I was there a few years back at Yellowstone in the summer and asked where all the US tourist where ?

Oh they have 5 snow days to make up in the east coast states so they'll be here next week instead.

We'll soon see if the schools really need to be shut.

Not at all, nothing against students. But it's interesting to see how quickly you've got personal. No need for that :nono:

I'm a little confused, you said you never did that course (Natural Hazard Management with Geography), but in that post it's the same course as you've just said above?

Ah read the topic wrong (I created a thread about photography course, and thought it was that). And ironic, you call me personal. Yet in a few posts you've been personal right away from me asking a simple question.

Bit ironic don't you think?

Here's an example. I asked a question if you do something and you go.

Gut feeling tells me I bet you don't bother your backside though

You seem to have a bit of, can give it, but can't take it eh.

Can somebody define what low pay is please, as we hear all the time the nurses are low paid. Now as I understand it a nurse pay starts at £21,176 + 20% if in Inner London which is several thousands a year more than I'm on with my full time job and can go up to £40,157+ 20% if in Inner London.

Now I'm not saying they are paid the correct amount for the job they do, but I don't consider over £400 a week to be LOW paid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can somebody define what low pay is please, as we hear all the time the nurses are low paid. Now as I understand it a nurse pay starts at £21,176 which several thousands a year more than I'm on with my full time job and can go up to £40,157.

Now I'm not saying they are paid the correct amount for the job they do, but I don't consider over £400 a week to be LOW paid.

People usually put into context into what Doctors are paid, to what nurses pay equates to. The nurses hold usually more responsibility in acts of duty than doctors, and spend more time with patients, yet can earn around 4 times less than a doctor.

I rather hope that, when this thread gets cleared up, someone gets to take a well deserved holiday.

People usually put into context into what Doctors are paid, to what nurses pay equates to. The nurses hold usually more responsibility in acts of duty than doctors, and spend more time with patients, yet can earn around 4 times less than a doctor.

So they are not LOW paid, just LOWER paid. ;)

Can somebody define what low pay is please, as we hear all the time the nurses are low paid. Now as I understand it a nurse pay starts at £21,176 which several thousands a year more than I'm on with my full time job and can go up to £40,157.

I'm not sure what their starting pay is but I think it's less than that and takes a long time to reach the £40K mark. What I found was that quite often to get a small increase in salary meant a large increase with responsibility and wasn't worth it. There's certainly worse jobs out there and also lower paid ones.

I'm not really sure what a low pay is to be honest, it's perhaps it's used in relevance to the job itself?

Pieface, I can't be bothered with you anymore. I'm sure you won't mind.

You've contradicted yourself there, if it was free then it wouldn't need to be funded or sponsored, by anyone ;)

It was in the context of the other users stating they should get their tuition fee's free, because of the type of course they do. Not it being free in the whole way of the state.

I'm not sure what their starting pay is but I think it's less than that and takes a long time to reach the £40K mark. What I found was that quite often to get a small increase in salary meant a large increase with responsibility and wasn't worth it. There's certainly worse jobs out there and also lower paid ones.

I'm not really sure what a low pay is to be honest, it's perhaps it's used in relevance to the job itself?

Pieface, I can't be bothered with you anymore. I'm sure you won't mind.

I checked on the NHS site and £21K is the lowest wage for a plain Nurse

Can somebody define what low pay is please, as we hear all the time the nurses are low paid. Now as I understand it a nurse pay starts at £21,176 + 20% if in Inner London which is several thousands a year more than I'm on with my full time job and can go up to £40,157+ 20% if in Inner London.

Well I believe the so called UK average wage is £25k.

Anyone below that will argue they are low paid, compare themselves to a peer group or private sector salaries.

I guess low paid or underpaid is relative to the cost of living, the biggest problem being house prices.

Last edited:
the biggest problem being house prices.

Tell me about it, we are moving house right this minute and despite the market apparently being at an all time low, the houses around here seem to have increased in price! Nightmare!

Calm down kiddies...

And, regardless of political arguments, viewpoints, economics etc, what WAS a positive thing was to see how people, hell, young people, were genuinely involved with politics, the news and the issues affect them, and were prepared to do something (whatever can be said about their methods aside) about it rather than the more apathetic society that we seem to have inherited over the recent years from our new cousins on the other side of the pond, who happily bend over for whatever the government's lobbyists decide is right for their profits.

Last decent size protests were the fox hunting and then going back to 2003, the antiwar protests, which were all seeming like a distant memory (regardless of the effect that they could, or did, have). The french seem to find something to get riled up and riot about every 6 months or so...

So, imo, well done to everyone who was there, if only for being involved and active in your life, instead of just being apathetic...

Last edited:
Not sure about England but in Scotland you need a degree to be a nurse. Maybe they are low paid after all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back