Rubbish pictures, should I carry on or give up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the o.p. Even your local pound shop will sell sd card readers saving the need for tijuana taxi to post your cable.

This is a link to gimp a free image editing tool that you can download
http://www.gimp.org/

To the o.p. Even your local pound shop will sell sd card readers saving the need for tijuana taxi to post your cable.

This is a link to gimp a free image editing tool that you can download
http://www.gimp.org/

Thank you thats helpful. I'm a bit put out, because some people think I am 'pulling their legs' when I am not :shake:

I have to agree

I told you I am not having anyone on. What do I have to do to convince you what I was asking is real. This is frustarting, you have obviously made your minds up. perhaps this forum isn't for me after all.

I have learning difficulties and expected help. I am really depressed with all these negetive comments which are really upsetting me. To be honest i regret starting me this thread now, perhaps I should have kept quiet and spoke to someone else. I am not a bad person and don't mean to be nasty, I have had some good advice on here but also some negetive comments which is not good for beginners or anyone thinking of joining the forum.

Everyone has a different level of learning photography and there are photographers out there who are good but also have special needs, sadly this has proved to me that not all people understand those who have learning difficulties and start saying they are 'pulling legs, having you on etc' which (as I type) has upset another girl who wanted me to type a thread for her via the forum.

Thanks to those who did give me some positive advise, I have taken those on board and i am greatfull.

We have contacted the moderator as I didn't know what else to do. I do appologise that it has come to this but I was not as you say 'having anyone on'.

Last edited:
Louise, really just ignore some of the thoughtless comments here. Those people who are helping you are the only ones you need to listen too.

Louise, really just ignore some of the thoughtless comments here. Those people who are helping you are the only ones you need to listen too.

Thank you. I think I will. I have taken on board some of the advice, it's sad there are some nasty individuals out there who sit behind their keyboards abusing people knowing they will get away with it. I think their called 'Trollers?'

Louise,

I find it hard to digest books, I just don't seem to get the time, or inclination to read them. But what I do take on board much easier, is video.

I have learnt a shed load of stuff from Youtube, and have put a link here to a guy that does some really good videos, in easy to grasp language.

Have a look through the videos, I subscribed to them, and I find them really good.

I hope I haven't done anything naughty by providing the link...:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ-xwPegXeA&feature=g-user-u

And just in case you don't have the manual for the x90, this link should take you to where it can be downloaded

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/download_manual.html

Don't give up

Darrin

Last edited:
Many cameras will connect to your PC with a standard USB to mini-USB lead. You might already have one for other things such as a Sat-Nav, smart phone or a portable hard drive. Once the camera is connected to your PC and turned on, wait a few seconds and your PC should see it as an external hard drive. Open the drive and copy the images to your PC.

The best thing to do Louise is just get out and play with your camera. Landscapes are normally the best place to start. There are many interesting locations in the UK. For example, Salisbury, a brief history, has many fantastic locations.

Last edited:
Many cameras will connect to your PC with a standard USB to mini-USB lead. You might already have one for other things such as a Sat-Nav, smart phone or a portable hard drive. Once the camera is connected to your PC and turned on, wait a few seconds and your PC should see it as an external hard drive. Open the drive and copy the images to your PC.

So if I get a USB lead off Amazon and I plug it in, it should work without the need for a CD or anything?

I like the Dummies books as they give very clear and helpful hints and tips on each page.

I might consider that as it looks good, thanks.

The best thing to do Louise is just get out and play with your camera. Landscapes are normally the best place to start. There are many interesting locations in the UK. For example, Salisbury, a brief history, has many fantastic locations.

Salisbury is indeed a historic place. Having just read the Pillers of the earth by Ken Folett, I am curiouse about the building of cathedrals and how it was done.

To be honest with you Louise, I think the guy that is taking money from you every time you want your pictures on a disc, needs to have a word with himself, and his conscience.
If you don't get sorted with a cable or card reader, the next time you go in, get him to show you what you need to do it yourself.(y)

To be honest with you Louise, I think the guy that is taking money from you every time you want your pictures on a disc, needs to have a word with himself, and his conscience.
If you don't get sorted with a cable or card reader, the next time you go in, get him to show you what you need to do it yourself.(y)

It was castle cameras, but what I might do is ask if they sell a usb lead for my camera.

Lovely here. I go once a year and should post some image's really which i might do :)

What should the size of them be for posting on here please?

It was castle cameras, but what I might do is ask if they sell a usb lead for my camera.

Does the camera have internal memory or a card you can remove?
If a card, buy a card reader. It will be much faster and also allow you to use it when or if you change camera.
If the bloke has been charging you 3 quid a time to transfer your images without suggesting this, I wouldn't want to have any further dealings with them.

You can get a card reader for a couple of quid on ebay or even in tesco's - you then plug that into the USB slot on your computer and stick the card out the camera in it

then when you go to 'my computer' it will appears as a drive and you can open the images in viewer and or copy them to your hard drive.

To get them up on here you will need some software to resize them, if your computer came with paint you can use that - if not download something like Gimp or Irfanview for free.

once they arev resized you can upload them to your TP gallery and link them in a post (there are guides on how in the tutorial section)

And in answer to your original question , no i don't think you should give up - everybody takes crap shots from time to time (even pros) and is usual to have a lower keeper ratio when you are starting out.

What should the size of them be for posting on here please?

if you want to put them in your tp gallery then 800x600 is ideal - if you bare loading them to flick/photopbucket etc they can be larger but i'd suggest no more than 1024 on them longer side

You can get a card reader for a couple of quid on ebay or even in tesco's - you then plug that into the USB slot on your computer and stick the card out the camera in it

then when you go to 'my computer' it will appears as a drive and you can open the images in viewer and or copy them to your hard drive.

To get them up on here you will need some software to resize them, if your computer came with paint you can use that - if not download something like Gimp or Irfanview for free.

once they arev resized you can upload them to your TP gallery and link them in a post (there are guides on how in the tutorial section)

And in answer to your original question , no i don't think you should give up - everybody takes crap shots from time to time (even pros) and is usual to have a lower keeper ratio when you are starting out.

You should see some of the crap I produce with a 5D MK3 and 24-105L lens....quite shocking:D

You should see some of the crap I produce with a 5D MK3 and 24-105L lens....quite shocking:D

now you should give up - if you send the 5D to me i'll dispose of it for you no extra charge :LOL:

now you should give up - if you send the 5D to me i'll dispose of it for you no extra charge :LOL:

:D:D I think I may just persevere for a while longer:D
It's a great hobby, and I think as with a lot of hobbies, we take ourselves too seriously, and get hung up on the technicalities....
Hobbies are about enjoying yourself, and it really doesn't matter at what level...

That's what I think anyhow:nuts:

Does the camera have internal memory or a card you can remove?
If a card, buy a card reader. It will be much faster and also allow you to use it when or if you change camera.
If the bloke has been charging you 3 quid a time to transfer your images without suggesting this, I wouldn't want to have any further dealings with them.

Hi Guys :)

It's got a card I can remove. So I'll go for the card reader, I'm surprised Castle Cameras didn't mention one.

Hi Guys :)

It's got a card I can remove. So I'll go for the card reader, I'm surprised Castle Cameras didn't mention one.

He should hang his head in shame:thumbsdown:

Keep us posted on how it goes regarding getting your pics onto the computer:)

He should hang his head in shame:thumbsdown:

Keep us posted on how it goes regarding getting your pics onto the computer:)

Why, they may not know it isn't for archive purposes. If someone came in with a card and asked me to put on a disc I would do what they asked. :shrug:

Why, they may not know it isn't for archive purposes. If someone came in with a card and asked me to put on a disc I would do what they asked. :shrug:

I guess that all depends upon how observant they are, or how good of a judge of character they are.
If we have an understanding of the op's situation, then so should the guy who has had face to face repeated contact..don't you think?

It's a business, they're there to make money not supply free advice, how does he know the pictures aren't so she can post them to a relative in Australia etc

with all due respect to all this, is a long thread for a card reader and someone who feels sorry for themselves...................

It's a business, they're there to make money not supply free advice, how does he know the pictures aren't so she can post them to a relative in Australia etc

I run my own business, and it's reputation is built upon customer service, in this case, advice on how to get the pictures off the camera and into a pc, could then down the line, turn into the sale of a new camera.......basic business sense in my book:shrug:

But it is a long thread now, and probably run it's course...

with all due respect to all this, is a long thread for a card reader and someone who feels sorry for themselves...................
Beware, they (not she! :thinking: ) have contacted the Moderators.
We have contacted the moderator as I didn't know what else to do. ...
You might even be a Troller!
... it's sad there are some nasty individuals out there who sit behind their keyboards abusing people knowing they will get away with it. I think their called 'Trollers?'
OK, OK, shoot me. :| but that sounds like a right troll right there.

And for the final time : get a CARD READER ... or YOU (specifically YOU Louise, not someone in general) run the risk of breaking your camera, or memory card, or computer by misusing a USB connector. Card readers are far safer for those who have trouble with ... stuff.

At the mo (sad that it is) I go to Castle Cameras and they charge me £3 to put the pictures on a disk. I then put them on my hard drive and correct them if I can.

Am I missing something here?

So stick your disk in your computer, upload to your hard drive and post em up.

As said, get a lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back