Ruby tailed Wasp

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
So after my first attempt i really wanted another go with these stunning little wasps. It was a waste of time trying to get a descent shot of it in the wild so i caught one yesterday so i could stage it. I mentioned in my previous thread what i did, but just incase it was missed i will explain again.

So instead of putting it in the fridge, i put it in a small clear container and placed an ice pack underneath it and put a small narrow piece of wood in the middle of the box. Narrow enough so the wasp pretty much stayed in focus as it ran up and down the wood. It wasn't so cold it looked frozen but wasn't warm enough to fly. It stayed on the piece of wood because the surface of the container was to cold. This gave me a good opportunity to get some pretty good shots i think. Saying that though i would have liked iso 100. All pics taken with the Yongnuo twin flash and all hand held with the MP-E

Ruby tailed Wasp by Andy Johnson, on Flickr

Tomorrow i will return it to where i found it..

Last edited:

Awesome details, colours
and rendition, Andrew! (y)

I love these. So colourful. 2nd one is my favourite. I want to do bugs too now.

These photos make me want to take a croc and smack my screen... I hate wasps...

Truly amazing work mate, absolutely stunning takes!

Very nice shots m8, Nice explanation too on how you controlled the wasp, I put my finds in the fridge but with the heat here they normally fly off before I have enough time lol

Very nice shots m8, Nice explanation too on how you controlled the wasp, I put my finds in the fridge but with the heat here they normally fly off before I have enough time lol

An ice pack under a shallow plastic box is easier to control. Just look how well the dragonfly is behaving. :)
box.jpg

Super shots and a great explanation!

This idea worked well for this wasp as it's very delicate. I tried it on a horse fly last night and i just couldn't slow it down enough to try stacking it. I lost patience with it and let it fly away. After threatening it not to come back and bite me again. :) Here's a couple of fails..

horse-fly1 by Andy Johnson, on Flickr

horse-fly by Andy Johnson, on Flickr

I still haven't got use to my MP-E, my brain just can't adjust to such narrow DOF :confused:

It must be my technique as I can't seem to get anything like the above, hence why I asked the question.

Hats off to you as you seem to have nailed it. I must just keep practicing and it will eventually come.

What sort of magnification were these at if you don't mind me asking?

This idea worked well for this wasp as it's very delicate. I tried it on a horse fly last night and i just couldn't slow it down enough to try stacking it. I lost patience with it and let it fly away. After threatening it not to come back and bite me again. :) Here's a couple of fails..

horse-fly1 by Andy Johnson, on Flickr

horse-fly by Andy Johnson, on Flickr

WOW! - Really weird though - looks like an eye on legs!:LOL:

BTW just noticed your sigs on the pictures - love it!:clap:

I still haven't got use to my MP-E, my brain just can't adjust to such narrow DOF :confused:

It must be my technique as I can't seem to get anything like the above, hence why I asked the question.

Hats off to you as you seem to have nailed it. I must just keep practicing and it will eventually come.

Yes that's what macro takes - PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE - take hundreds of shots - and bin the fails!

Well after the first week of owning this lens i was ready to send it back as i thought it was a dud, i know people say how difficult it can be but surely not that hard. I had got so used to auto focus and something i forgot was that i had a scratch across my right eye. No matter how good the focus looked, the picture was binned. I started using live view which gave better results but the batteries weren't lasting, so i tried a monitor which proved to cumbersome. I finally went back to using the eye piece and my left eye and things started looking up. As you will know that there are two ways of focusing, turning the barrel and rocking back and forth. I find the rocking much easier as you have more control over both your hands to steady the camera. Also helps to focus if you have a good light on the subject. For all the above i am using an LED video light and have tried to focus on either the eyes or between the eyes. I also bought this eye cup.https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BD48PE0?psc=1 It gives you a better view of the subject and has been a great help rather the kit eye piece provided.

I don't think any of the above were taken more than X2 and they were studio ( in the kitchen ) shots. Having a flat surface to slide the camera lens back and forth also helps. I've also tried a stacking rail and tripod but it's not quick enough for a live insect.. As Pete says, it's all down to practise and finding a away that works for you.

Thanks. I'll have to dig mine out and give it another go. The eye piece looks interesting and for less than a tenner it's worth a try.

Thanks. I'll have to dig mine out and give it another go. The eye piece looks interesting and for less than a tenner it's worth a try.

Only trouble is that it does get in the way of opening the live view thingy. On my wifes D700 she has to take it off but on mt D70 there's just enough room with a slight sqeeze.

Last edited:
Nice photos, have you thought of modifying this by putting the ice pack and small box in a larger box? This would make it transportable and would be good if you are not in your garden.

Nice photos, have you thought of modifying this by putting the ice pack and small box in a larger box? This would make it transportable and would be good if you are not in your garden.
It's a thought David. What I need is a small beer cooler, the ones like a small fridge with a glass door. At the moment this idea works quite well for smaller insects but probably not for a honey bee sized bug. I'm thinking of designing a collar to fit between the abdomen and thorax to keep em still. And my wife can hold it whilst fitting it. [emoji2]

It's a thought David. What I need is a small beer cooler, the ones like a small fridge with a glass door. At the moment this idea works quite well for smaller insects but probably not for a honey bee sized bug. I'm thinking of designing a collar to fit between the abdomen and thorax to keep em still. And my wife can hold it whilst fitting it. [emoji2]
Do you need something that big? I am really impressed I am going to try this soon I hope.

I like it in the photos that in most of the them you can see the simple eyes, I really like details like that. I think it mainly with wasps that you can see them (I know other insects have them).

Do you need something that big? I am really impressed I am going to try this soon I hope.

I like it in the photos that in most of the them you can see the simple eyes, I really like details like that. I think it mainly with wasps that you can see them (I know other insects have them).
Not really an ideal situation I agree

I would love to get into extreme macro but I have a problem with the ethics of killing so trying to find other options to keep them still, unharmed. I was gutted when I killed that first Ruby even though by accident.

Not really an ideal situation I agree

I would love to get into extreme macro but I have a problem with the ethics of killing so trying to find other options to keep them still, unharmed. I was gutted when I killed that first Ruby even though by accident.
I agree with that, I put my moth trap out the other day and was really upset when a few were killed. I will put a glass bowl over the light to keep them protected in future.

One thing you can do of course is keep any dead insects you find in the freezer for extreme macro. I have a female stag beetle and two bumblebees.

I agree with that, I put my moth trap out the other day and was really upset when a few were killed. I will put a glass bowl over the light to keep them protected in future.

One thing you can do of course is keep any dead insects you find in the freezer for extreme macro. I have a female stag beetle and two bumblebees.
Just don't get them confused for your chicken nuggets!!

Back