Rude?

I tend to use a mixture of replies or likes, if the last post is a simple "nice shot" rather than bumping my thread to the top I'll just like the comment.

Bugs me when folks limit who can view their profile.
What have they got to hide? Crap website? Crap photos? :)
I’m puzzled by people limiting their profile viewing, surely if there’s stuff there you don’t want people to see why have you put it there in the first place.maybe it’s ‘accidental’?

Not always, I have been the OP for several long threads in "another place" where I have posted often at the beginning of the thread, but then the thread wanders into something that has no relevance to my OP.

Come on, if a thread hasn't gone completely off topic by page 3, and at least three forum members haven't had a bitter feud and challenged each other to handbags at dawn, then it can't have been much of a thread then really, can it? ;)

Last edited:
... or even kiss my arse.
( I have a fiver on the fact that I know who will make the latter post in here :D )

Do I get to split it with you?

And NO, I absolutely will not use tongues!

Split tongues? Blimey. Bet you've got tattoos in funny places too?

I'm guessing you're talking more Image specific threads, where people post up a separate thread with some images - they get some comments and don't bother addressing them? Rather than the gear threads where people also post sample images? Because in the latter I tend to like rather than thank someone for a comment on my image, I do sometimes respond if I have something to add. But otherwise it can feel you're bumping open threads just to say 'cheers' or 'thanks' - I always felt a like was as good, it's not like I need to bump my post count :D

Come on, if a thread hasn't gone completely off topic by page 3, and at least three forum members haven't had a bitter feud and challenged each other to handbags at dawn, then it can't have been much of a thread then really, can it? ;)

I detect the words of experience here :)

That's one of my pet-hates :D

Those same people are often great with offering advice, sometimes even useful or correct advice, but won't show they can actually take a photo themselves

Even worse when they are (apparently) Pros and yet hide their real names so you can't find their (probably s***e) websites either :D

Dave
I object, my s***e website is listed on my profile ;)

I always ( memory permitting) answer comments on any images I post, I too think it's rude not to :)

Les

I think “Comments” are the problem. Let’s do away with text comments and have more buttons - like, thanks, I disagree, my camera is bigger/better/smaller/prettier than yours, I still disagree, F off, etc etc plus smileys of course.

I wouldn't have thought so, they tend to be fairly prolific posters.
When you reply to or start a thread, you should automatically get a notification of a reply under "Alerts"
In my experience the “Alert” function is flawed. There are several very active threads I follow and probably 50% of the time there is no alert, I’m in fact alerted to the thread by seeing it in bold in the ‘Active Discussions’ bit. So there are probably threads I’ve contributed to that I’m not reminded to return to.

Last edited:
I dunno, maybe its a generation thing, people of a certain age, that finds all this rude.
I've been noticing, increasingly, across the "Board" there are a lot of people that never return to their threads, reply to comments, or thanks for the advice or even kiss my arse.
( I have a fiver on the fact that I know who will make the latter post in here :D )
Who knows. maybe they ( think they) are above advice, but a thanks for the comments, never hurt anyone ... did it?

They post an image or two, and then "They" move on to their next thread, waiting for the next lot of adoration / likes / approval etc from their peers,
without saying a word.
Surely the last person to post in a thread, should be the OP?

It also baffles me how many people have clocked up a decent post count and never ever posted a single image of theirs.

Its a sign of the times I guess :(

I get annoyed when there’s no thanks, or even acknowledgement of a response to their questions. It would be nice to know whether your advice was any use and a show of appreciation that you went to the trouble of trying to help.
I used to post images, but gave up when so few were getting any feedback/critique. There seems to be little point these days as so few images get much attention, unless, as mentioned already, they are part of the ‘in crowd.’
I do use the like button and think there’s a place for it when the comment would only be a thank you.

I think “Comments” are the problem. Let’s do away with text comments and have more buttons - like, thanks, I disagree, my camera is bigger/better/smaller/prettier than yours, I still disagree, F off, etc etc plus smileys of course.

I know that was a tongue-in-cheek comment but I think there is some merit in a version of that idea. Likes are useful for several reasons and I often use a “like” to acknowledge that I have seen something when there is really no point in adding a further comment which may disrupt the flow of the thread. But in that situation “seen it” would be better than “like”, also for example, “liking” a comment about illness or tragedy goes against the grain so something else (sympathise?) would be handy. Facebook has a version of this where you can choose an emoticon to represent different forms of “like”

I kind of get the point that Likes kill comments but 90%+ of the commenting is so inane as to be no better than a Like and getting rid of the like button would just encourage even more “nice photo” comments. And then there is the F&C crowd where everything is “liked”, one can only assume on the basis of “I like that you took the time to take a photo and share it” but with very little comment and no crit

In my experience the “Alert” function is flawed. There are several very active threads I follow and probably 50% of the time there is no alert, I’m in fact alerted to the thread by seeing it in bold in the ‘Active Discussions’ bit. So there are probably threads I’ve contributed to that I’m not reminded to return to.
I've noticed that too, I get alerts after I've posted on a thread, then for some reason they sometimes seem to stop after a while. That can make it look like someone has lost interest or been rude enough not to reply.

Is there a reason for Alerts no longer being generated as above?

And then there is the F&C crowd where everything is “liked”, one can only assume on the basis of “I like that you took the time to take a photo and share it” but with very little comment and no crit
Comparing the F&C section with the Crit section of the forum is probably the photographic equivalent of comparing a really good pub to a gym. ;)

Last edited:
Comparing the F&C section with the Crit section of the forum is probably the photographic equivalent of comparing a really good pub to a gym. ;)
I don't see that. While you're unlikely to get a decent alcoholic drink at a gym you'll certainly get plenty of good healthy aerobic exercise at a pub if you say the wrong thing to the wrong fellow customer...

:exit:

I don't see that. While you're unlikely to get a decent alcoholic drink at a gym you'll certainly get plenty of good healthy aerobic exercise at a pub if you say the wrong thing to the wrong fellow customer...

:exit:
Did you just spill my developer? :bat: Nah, we're all very calm and polite in there, apart from when we're in full banter and tiddle taking mode that is! :naughty:

More like comparing the W.I. to a pub in the less salubrious parts of Glasgow IME :LOL:
:coat:

Is there a reason for Alerts no longer being generated as above?
I think what happens is that you only get an alert once per thread until you visit the thread again. So if you miss an alert or you don't visit the thread on an alert then you get no further alerts, I also suspect that the alerts system doesn't always get updated that you have vsisited a thread and so doesn't clear flag preventing further alerts.

It seems to me that it depends on why you are here. For me it is to gain knowledge, and it is working, I have learned a lot but still have a long road ahead!! I read more than I post, and would never post if I have nothing to add.

I guess some are here for praise, and they just want their egos massaging, some are here for the social aspect, to chat with people that have similar interests. There are probable hundreds of reasons why we are all here, which in turn created hundreds of different reactions and interactions.

What I do notice in life is that younger generations (i'm nearly 45) seem to dispense with the niceties in email and texts, they are straight to the point! It is not them being rude, it is just the new way of communication, it has to be quick and instantaneous. Easy to take the wrong way sometimes.

T

It also baffles me how many people have clocked up a decent post count and never ever posted a single image of theirs.

It's certainly something I am 'guilty' of, as far as I can recall I've never posted an image here (but then I'm not a prolific poster, look like I have averaged ~10/ month over the 10 years I've been a member).

Why?

Well, going back in time I used to visit several photography forums, and restricted posting images to just one (the smallest) so that I would be able to read and reply to any comments in a timely fashion, and could take the time to view and offer comments on other posted work - the other forums I used as 'resources', mainly reading what others write, but also replying to questions, etc. when I had something I felt was useful to add.

The original forum I used to post to has since closed, but the habit of using sites such as this as more of a 'technical' resource has remained.

Last edited:
several times since 2013
And as the new members keep rolling in, it doesn't hurt to bring this up time to time (y)
That's one of my pet-hates :D

Those same people are often great with offering advice, sometimes even useful or correct advice, but won't show they can actually take a photo themselves
Even worse when they are (apparently) Pros and yet hide their real names so you can't find their (probably s***e) websites either :D
Dave
Absolutely agree with that. For that don't know, the advice maybe better than sliced bread, but it also maybe a load of testicles ..

it would be very busy to thank for all these so apologies for anyone who didnt geet a reply from me
....are all the staff members over 75 and lost their free tv licences...
Only me :p
And I'm not suggesting that "likes" should be thanked. But if people take the time to actually comment then they should get a reply, a "like" at the minimum, sadly this doesn't happen in quite a few cases.

Not always, I have been the OP for several long threads in "another place" where I have posted often at the beginning of the thread, but then the thread wanders into something that has no relevance to my OP.
That's fair enough, But as someone else noted I was talking ( mostly) about images threads.

And there are people who post images hereabouts, seemingly just to harvest 'likes' from the unwashed masses, but scarcely utter a word in discussion of anything - which to me smacks of unashamed self-promotion. Discussion is surely the raison d'être of any forum on anything, anywhere? The hub on which the wheel turns?
My point exactly, well one of them anyway.

Bugs me when folks limit who can view their profile.
They can run, but they can't hide from me :D

I don’t. I’ve just found the options in preferences and mine were unchecked. I never knew those options existed until you mentioned it.
I usually post images in the specific camera threads as the replies don’t seem to be like that.
That seems to be happening more and more for some reason or another, not big deal though.
And happy to help ( with the notifications)

I tend to use a mixture of replies or likes, if the last post is a simple "nice shot" rather than bumping my thread to the top I'll just like the comment.
Again. fair enough, at least you and most others respond one way or another.

Do I get to split it with you?
And NO, I absolutely will not use tongues!
No & :p

I'm guessing you're talking more Image specific threads, where people post up a separate thread with some images - they get some comments and don't bother addressing them? Rather than the gear threads where people also post sample images?
Spot on (y)

You missed out "My penis is bigger than yours"

In my experience the “Alert” function is flawed.
No its not flawed in the slightest.
If you open the alerts tab, and only look at a couple of the alerts, the other ones disappear and don't reappear until you open those threads.

I've noticed that too, I get alerts after I've posted on a thread, then for some reason they sometimes seem to stop after a while.
Is there a reason for Alerts no longer being generated ?
As above.
And as Chris said below

I think what happens is that you only get an alert once per thread until you visit the thread again. So if you miss an alert or you don't visit the thread on an alert then you get no further alerts, I also suspect that the alerts system doesn't always get updated that you have vsisited a thread and so doesn't clear flag preventing further alerts.
Spot on (y)

That's fair enough, But as someone else noted I was talking ( mostly) about images threads.

I hadn't pick up on that :-(

edit: or even "picked" up on that !

Last edited:
I have noticed of late that image threads (not the 52) are getting less and less, if any, feedback (and I'm not just talking about mine). But talk threads do seem to still have a good following, but mainly from a select few members.
It's just my observations, I could be wrong of course, I have been known to bed wrong.

I have noticed of late that image threads (not the 52) are getting less and less, if any, feedback
And I think that goes someway to "prove" my point. If people don't acknowledge the feedback one way or another, people are less inclined to add more
The problem is, and its been discussed on a few occasions, "elsewhere" people seem to prefer to post on / in FB and get sunshine blown up their arse,
rather than get honest feedback here ( and other forums)

No its not flawed in the slightest.
If you open the alerts tab, and only look at a couple of the alerts, the other ones disappear and don't reappear until you open those threads.

If it is not flawed, yet does not provide Alerts as might be expected, the the users' behaviour that it leads to (not always responding to threads participated in) is also not flawed!

I don't think that a lack of good manners and expressing appreciation or thanks is a generational issue but simply one of someone not being brought up by their parents or school to say thankyou etc.

The 'Like' button is very useful, not necessarily as a substitute for saying thankyou but to express agreement. For example, I like what you have said about the subject or I like and agree with your reply to someone else. Obviously this is useful in the Off Topic and often argumentative Hot Topic areas of TP.

It can simply be that I like your posted photograph. It is like a Fave on Flickr, a Like on Facebook, or a heart icon on Instagram. It's fast and easy.

I sometimes write a thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The problem is, and its been discussed on a few occasions, "elsewhere" people seem to prefer to post on / in FB and get sunshine blown up their arse,
rather than get honest feedback here ( and other forums)

.... The trouble with feedback about images posted on TP is that too often other photographers either over think it or are limited to applying their own 'rules' or guidelines such as that the best bird photos are only those with a flat featureless background and perched on a stick. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Dare I say that the number of photographers on TP whose work I admire and consequently whose feedback I would take notice of, are relatively few. And then there are those who never post their own photographic efforts at all and are more interested in arguing about politics :D.

Last edited:
If it is not flawed, yet does not provide Alerts as might be expected, the the users' behaviour that it leads to (not always responding to threads participated in) is also not flawed!

.... If you are interested in how a thread discussion is progressing but haven't posted in it yourself recently enough to activate an emailed alert, it's very easy to simply visit the thread and catch up. So, I don't think the Alerts system on TP is flawed (if that is what you were saying).

Maybe I just get around a lot more, cover a lot more forums, than a lot of ( most?) people and notice these things.
It's certainly on the increase...

Any other forums you'd care to mention?
I have to admit, I'm active on about five other sites.

I've been posting less and less images up for critique as it appears unless you're in "the club of the few" no one comments on them.

If an image is posted by one of "the club" then queue loads of "ooooh that's nice", "fantastic shot" etc, even if the photo's s***.

Theres a club? Who's in it then :)

Les

I have posted pics on photography forums in the past and later regretted it after a disagreement / heated discussion turned into an personal attack on my photographs that I shared in good faith and in the spirit of the forum.
And the person doing it getting away with it like their nickname was the Teflon Don.
That is why I don't post them and probably others have their own reasons also.

Back