Rude?

I guess everyone uses forums / social media differently as well as there being generational differences in etiquette and expectations of publicly announced expressions of gratitude, as well as a huge range in the levels of confidence in members.

This, all being told, brings a huge range of diversity as to how members present on the forum. Whilst certain members actions, or inactions, may become a peeve to others I think the contributing member diversity far outweighs the potential perceived peevability.

Only me :p
And I'm not suggesting that "likes" should be thanked. But if people take the time to actually comment then they should get a reply, a "like" at the minimum, sadly this doesn't happen in quite a few cases.

i really liked this reply...:plus1:

got your post count up a bit there old chap....:sneaky:(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Any other forums you'd care to mention?
I have to admit, I'm active on about five other sites.

I think you'll find he means the various forums on this site, not loads of other forums that aren't
anything to do with TP , being a mod he has to stick hos nose in every where :p

The 'Like' button is very useful, not necessarily as a substitute for saying thankyou but to express agreement.
Its no secret that I'm not a fan of the "like" button, I did however like a couple of your posts as you covered everything I may have said (y)

.... If you are interested in how a thread discussion is progressing but haven't posted in it yourself recently enough to activate an emailed alert, it's very easy to simply visit the thread and catch up. So, I don't think the Alerts system on TP is flawed (if that is what you were saying).
Exactly, if someone CBA then its no a flaw with the site.

Theres a club? Who's in it then :)
Les
Not you obviously, ( its all about the handshake ;) :D )

I have posted pics on photography forums in the past and later regretted it after a disagreement / heated discussion turned into an personal attack on my photographs that I shared in good faith and in the spirit of the forum.
And the person doing it getting away with it like their nickname was the Teflon Don.
That is why I don't post them and probably others have their own reasons also.
I understand that, and you are not alone, in that reasoning.
Even to the point when ( in the past) quite a few people left because of the attitude of a few.
( And generally, they are no longer with us, although there are still a few that go in "off the deep end" for no real reason but things are a lot calmer than they used to be in most area's well excluding politics and religion of course :D )

i really liked this reply...:plus1:
got your post count up a bit there old chap....:sneaky:(y)
Yeah it needs a little increase I feel, I don't think I'm pulling my weight :(

Any other forums you'd care to mention?
I have to admit, I'm active on about five other sites.
Ingrid has the answer along with the requisite insult (y)
I think you'll find he means the various forums on this site, not loads of other forums that aren't

Last edited:

Oh I feel a ban coming on :) :)

This, all being told, brings a huge range of diversity as to how members present on the forum. Whilst certain members actions, or inactions, may become a peeve to others I think the contributing member diversity far outweighs the potential perceived peevability.

Very good Minister :)

Hmmm a double edged sword this one , on another forum I used to visit ,one particular member used to post photos some good some indifferent , but for every one that commented they would get a virtually instant “ thank you “ .after a while many members realised that this was not the guy being polite ,he was just ensuring that his photos were always top of the stack . This did get rather boring after a while especially when the guy never commented on others pics apart from being hyper critical .

Hmmm a double edged sword this one , on another forum I used to visit ,one particular member used to post photos some good some indifferent , but for every one that commented they would get a virtually instant “ thank you “ .after a while many members realised that this was not the guy being polite ,he was just ensuring that his photos were always top of the stack .
I understand where you are coming from Jeff (y)
I think TBH generally these forums are busy enough for that not to matter.
Or if they aren't busy one stays top of the pile for awhile anyway.

Having said that, that is the main reason that the no bumps in under 24 hours in classifieds was introduced.
But then again, they (Classifieds) aren't as busy as they used to be either.

This did get rather boring after a while especially when the guy never commented on others pics
Another of my "pet hates" as per the opening post...,
They post an image or two, and then "They" move on to their next thread,
I should have also added without commenting on anyone else's threads in return.
Surely the odd reciprocal post never hurt anyone?

I don't post my images on FB.
I dont need sunshine blown up my arse, it's already there and shines out quite brightly....
:)

.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I use Facebook a lot and know personally (rather than just virtually as here on TP) a lot of my listed 'Friends' there and I know that their interest in my photos and my travels is genuine. Also the social interaction with my Facebook Friends is much warmer and more direct.

Of course I like my ego stroked and feeling encouraged when my photos and posts are given Likes but I also give Likes and complimentary comments and genuinely mean it when I do. I like Instagram too and find it very inspirational but it's not social.

I also Admin several groups on Facebook, one which I started on a whim now has over 5,500 members.

I really dislike Twatter! So I rarely use it.

But regardless of which online arena you inhabit there is no excuse for not thanking and appreciating the time which others give you.

I still like Flickr if it’s good you know within the hour

I use facebook and instagram for friends and family and a few groups, I've drastically reduced my flickr to keep it under 1k but it was a struggle as i had over 4k when the goal posts were moved. If I need advise/critique I always come here.

.... The trouble with feedback about images posted on TP is that too often other photographers either over think it or are limited to applying their own 'rules' or guidelines such as that the best bird photos are only those with a flat featureless background and perched on a stick. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Dare I say that the number of photographers on TP whose work I admire and consequently whose feedback I would take notice of, are relatively few. And then there are those who never post their own photographic efforts at all and are more interested in arguing about politics :D.
Two things encapsulated here - firstly the fact that criticism is often (not surprisingly) based on personal opinion rather than a more balanced view, which can therefore lead to hurt feelings, and secondly the implication that some politics are more equal than others.

It's very similar on DPReview, especially the one-post wonders.

Two things encapsulated here - firstly the fact that criticism is often (not surprisingly) based on personal opinion rather than a more balanced view, which can therefore lead to hurt feelings, and secondly the implication that some politics are more equal than others.

.... I agree that the dark art of offering constructive criticism (of photographs) should always be based on being as objective and balanced as possible and not based on personal preferences even if it takes extra effort. When balanced and tactfully written - For example, if it was my shot I would have etc but all that matters is that you like your picture. Then whether someone has hurt feelings or not is solely up to their sensibilities.

[Notice how I am encouraging the politeness and diplomacy of an oily Tory] :D ;)

A good constructive criticism should motivate the individual to get better rather than result in hurt feelings or break their self-esteem.
And lot of people don't understand the value of genuine appreciation (which is NOT same as flattery)

Last edited:
That's one of my pet-hates :D

Those same people are often great with offering advice, sometimes even useful or correct advice, but won't show they can actually take a photo themselves

Even worse when they are (apparently) Pros and yet hide their real names so you can't find their (probably s***e) websites either :D

Dave

How about posting one/some of yours, Dave? I can't recall ever seeing one.

After a while you get to recognise the sort of photographs that people on TP like and will respond to. If one's efforts are outside that norm they will get ignored. That's (one of the reasons - he adds belatedly......) why i don't post mine any more.

Last edited:
I have to add my voice to those others who believe the alert system doesn't really work as expected.

.... Aha, that word "expectations" - Often the downfall of a relationship when someone has 'expectations'. I expect I'll be criticised unconstructively/destructively if I suggest that the females of our species are blessed with so many expectations :D

The trick (in the case of computer based stuff) is simply to accept and adapt = Problem solved. Much trickier with females though.

A good constructive criticism should motivate the individual to get better rather than result in hurt feelings or break their self-esteem.
And lot of people don't understand the value of genuine appreciation (which is NOT same as flattery)

.... HEAR! HEAR!! Absolutely spot on (in my opinion).

I think that you now owe @Cobra (as the OP) some bacon!

I find myself making more use of the Ignore button. If folk don't actually want to engage then that's ok, I won't engage.

That's one of my pet-hates :D

Those same people are often great with offering advice, sometimes even useful or correct advice, but won't show they can actually take a photo themselves

Even worse when they are (apparently) Pros and yet hide their real names so you can't find their (probably s***e) websites either :D

Dave

:agree:

.. which reminds me .. it's a while since I posted anything ..

Last edited:
but that is subjective of course :)
Indeed it is. Then again my opinion is that all criticism is subjective. If it were objective then there would be defined rules of what makes a picture. If that were the case there would be only one "good" picture of anything and the whole job could be handed over to autonomous photo Daleks. :coat:

On the subject of posting photos on TP, personally I prefer to leave it to members to click the Flickr link in my signature if they are actually interested.

However, I do sometimes post images to illustrate something in a discussion about camera gear - My efforts on the new Canon EOS-R being a current example. As well as a part of me showing off I do so in the hope that my picture might be helpful.

I love it and feel very encouraged when Flickr's Explore chooses one of my images and it then gets lots of Faves (Likes).

Let's face it, we can often be our worst critic but self criticism and admiration of other's work helps us improve. And therefore, receiving (and giving) Likes is a good thing.

About 5 years ago when I first started wildlife photography my daughter bought me a book '100 Wildlife Tips' by Guy Edwardes. I was wow'd and thought to myself that I would love to aspire to his standard. A couple of years ago I was unexpectedly introduced to him (in a field on Portland) by a mutual good friend and we have become good friends and I have often shot and travelled with him. When he Likes one of my pics I know he means it and it means a lot to me - I only give his a Like if I really do like them and we often comment positively. If he has a criticism he usually offers it to me face-to-face. He has definitely raised my standard.

https://www.guyedwardes.com

Indeed it is. Then again my opinion is that all criticism is subjective. If it were objective then there would be defined rules of what makes a picture. If that were the case there would be only one "good" picture of anything and the whole job could be handed over to autonomous photo Daleks. :coat:

.... I understand your point but perhaps I think of "objective criticism" as being objective in the sense that it goes beyond applying any self determined rules about what makes a good photograph. Hopefully I am making sense - It wouldn't be the first time if I'm not.

I know if it's "good" as soon as I process it. Because I take photos for my own enjoyment.
I'm happy to have things critiqued with a view to how I may improve them or learn different techniques .
If I was a pro it may be different.

Like it. Fine? Dislike it? Fine
As I'm the only person who new what I was trying to achieve I will save "good" for my own use. (I think all amateurs should)

I think there is two sides to user interaction, one is with forum etiquette especially in a post that has gained traction and multiple conversations are going on, some people don’t use the quote button and don’t know who is talking to who, they also have notifications turned off and don’t see replies. They learn this through time, while of course some don’t care or don’t understand. Some are not i.t/techy as well. My mum could use various computers, iPads and owned an iPhone, if you asked my dad who is the same age to buy an iPad; he would come home with a first aid kit.

The other side is people are put off by criticism regardless if is constructive and with best intentions, and if you look at the post above (https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/hayling-island-beach.699197/#post-8488284) its a good example of constructive feedback but on neither reply, not a single mention of anything the person has done well or even just ok. I don’t think the people replying are being nasty or anything, actually being helpful showing examples of good shots but it may not come across to that user like that.

I hate doing this but in the absence of a "disagree" button, I feel I have to just say that I diagree strongly with this - mainly with the assumption on which it's based. But as this is irrelevant to this thread, I won't enlarge here. As a hint, examine the assumptions implicit in the last sentence.

But regardless of which online arena you inhabit there is no excuse for not thanking and appreciating the time which others give you.
Absolutely (y)
Within an hour? Its been 5 years I guess I may as well pack up ..
Anyone want any cheap camera gear? :(

TBH I use flickr as a hosting site for posting here and other places, I'm not on any groups nor do I go around "Faving" images.
I do get a few "Faves" mostly from people I don't know and they are hardly ever in the UK either.

They were last seen Monday.
We do get a lot of "One hit wonders" that post, never to be seen again.
I can only imagine that they think this is a FB Clone, going on the fact of a few RTM's, over time where we've had complaints
about the comments on their images, from "Newbies" Largely the complaints are unfounded.

Why are people discussing criticism - it should be critique.

The fact so many people don’t distinguish between those 2 very different words is half the reason it’s badly given and badly received.

Likewise appraise and praise (for balance).

It’s my pet hate on every platform. :mad:

Why are people discussing criticism - it should be critique.

The fact so many people don’t distinguish between those 2 very different words is half the reason it’s badly given and badly received.

Likewise appraise and praise (for balance).

It’s my pet hate on every platform. :mad:
That's why I prefer the word 'feedback' instead of critique. Even though I fully understand the difference between the two words, critique and criticism, some people don't or just seem to confuse the two.

I thought criticism is the process of giving a critique.
Whilst you have a point (as per dictionary definitions), most people use criticise in its most common form ‘to find fault with’, and critique to review or analyse.

Back