Rude?

I dunno, maybe its a generation thing, people of a certain age, that finds all this rude.
I've been noticing, increasingly, across the "Board" there are a lot of people that never return to their threads, reply to comments, or thanks for the advice or even kiss my arse.
( I have a fiver on the fact that I know who will make the latter post in here :D )
Who knows. maybe they ( think they) are above advice, but a thanks for the comments, never hurt anyone ... did it?

They post an image or two, and then "They" move on to their next thread, waiting for the next lot of adoration / likes / approval etc from their peers,
without saying a word.
Surely the last person to post in a thread, should be the OP?

It also baffles me how many people have clocked up a decent post count and never ever posted a single image of theirs.

Its a sign of the times I guess :(

I think the mods should disable the like button and force people to actually post comments. Unlike shutternutters (www.wdphoto.co.uk/forum) I find this community very lacking in terms of feedback and critique.

I think the mods should disable the like button and force people to actually post comments.
That's a contentious point and has been since its introduction ;)
Having said that of course "Some people" can't even be arsed to hit the like button,
So there is no way they will actually engage in written form.

Yes, but do you represent yourself as having shot within 10 to 15 feet of the subject? Aren't you failing to ask the right questions? Critiquing is asking the right, relevant questions and seeking their answers. Not mixing up apples and oranges.

OK, pub analogy - please explain the background to what you're talking about, include details and specific examples in a manner that will be useful for us. We might go round in circles for a couple of days more, when you could just make it plain & then we can agree or disagree with all the info needed. Mystery is good in a book or a picture, but not especially helpful here unless the intention is to create more heat than light.

Our local community website: "Nextdoor", has a "Thank" button. You hover your thingy over it and six emotions appear, complete with emoticons. Maybe we could try that.

OgiCN2QLqFeaOxf_RJQ0x9nx0SFA-pFRTASlyJVk_SrOtKfH79BbN4_bJ00rcoj3sdaHRhIGmIfBrfotA1RtUcNWFi6BLZfXCDPhfaxMCm5_CgdWISdcc9bZOkAXdEcgWp4OPqgz

.... Only joking.

Our local community website: "Nextdoor", has a "Thank" button. You hover your thingy over it and six emotions appear, complete with emoticons. Maybe we could try that.

You mean something like this? :p

:ty:

(y)

:agree: :plus1:

:LOL:

:eek:

:confused:

OgiCN2QLqFeaOxf_RJQ0x9nx0SFA-pFRTASlyJVk_SrOtKfH79BbN4_bJ00rcoj3sdaHRhIGmIfBrfotA1RtUcNWFi6BLZfXCDPhfaxMCm5_CgdWISdcc9bZOkAXdEcgWp4OPqgz

.... Only joking.

.... Why only joking? Smilies are a very time saving and effective shorthand means of communication. Most online social media use them and TP may be described as an online social media.

Besides, as Cobra points out, TP already has smilies :)

Last edited:
Most online social media use them and TP may be described as an online social media.
Yeah but we are more intellectual than most online social media. Or that's what we are working towards. ;)

TP already has smilies
Yeah but they require another post ... not something that's clickable at the bottom of someone elses post. ;)

Yeah but they require another post ... not something that's clickable at the bottom of someone elses post.
You've cracked it David, (y) its not being rude, at all, its just being damned lazy :p

Yeah but we are more intellectual than most online social media. Or that's what we are working towards. ;)

.... Oh I hope not!! Intellectuals generally have too much of a tendency to over think everything. I believe that photography is more emotive and about feelings.

Yeah but they require another post ... not something that's clickable at the bottom of someone elses post. ;)

.... Agreed, an instantly clickable smilie would be easier and especially on mobile devices (which personally I don't use for TP as I prefer 27" for viewing pictures).

I think your suggested choice of smilies is particularly appropriate to TP but I fear that too many here associate any such smilies with Facebook and unfortunately are somewhat facebookphobic.

You've cracked it David, (y) its not being rude, at all, its just being damned lazy :p

.... But it doesn't mean that one can't write words saying thankyou etc in addition to clicking an instant smilie. Sometimes a smilie would be more appropriate than words and sometimes vica-versa and sometimes both.

Language thrives on options.

But it doesn't mean that one can't write words saying thankyou etc in addition to clicking an instant smilie.
Quite true Robin, I guess its not lazy then, there are just too many damned options :D

I've found in the past that the Like button can be a good way of thanking someone for making a comment. There's lots of that on this thread.

So ... it might be nice if, in the Sharing & Critique section where the talked-about photo is in the OP, there was no like button. Subsequent posts have a Like button for critique to be liked. :D

Last edited:
So ... it might be nice if, in the Sharing & Critique section where the talked-about photo is in the OP, there was no like button. Subsequent post have a Like button for critique to be liked. :D
I totally agree with that.
But I'm not sure if the latter is possible, I'm in favour of doing away with the like button in the critique sections altogether TBH.

I'm in favour of doing away with the like button in the critique sections altogether TBH.

Likewise.

See what I did there.

I think it's fair to say, it was a close run thing in the staff room when it was initially discussed about adding a like button... and, the arguments against the like button were pretty much all "it'll kill the critique section"...

Likewise.

See what I did there.

I think it's fair to say, it was a close run thing in the staff room when it was initially discussed about adding a like button... and, the arguments against the like button were pretty much all "it'll kill the critique section"...
*LIKE*

Likewise.

See what I did there.

Couldn't agree more - the whole point of critique threads surely is to discuss what you do and dont like about the shot, therefore allowing both OP and responders to learn.

By all means keep it for other areas but it has really given the crit threads a right royal kick in the spuds.

Mike

You mean something like this? :p

:ty:

(y)

:agree: :plus1:

:LOL:

:eek:

:confused:
Ah, those completely style-less things :LOL:

Every time I see them I try to remember that the forum is a place where people who appreciate craft and style gather. :runaway::pompous:

Reactions: Nod
Spectacles?

(Well, we have one close to that colour!)

When I do that (above) you don't know to what it relates when there are multiple comments. Yes I could quote and post an emoticon but then the thread is getting quite clogged up with lots of quotes of the same thing.

The approach that @d00d suggests (and I mentioned in #55 ;)) avoids a lot of clutter but still allows for things to be acknowledged in an appropriate way.

Ah, those completely style-less things :LOL:

Every time I see them I try to remember that the forum is a place where people who appreciate craft and style gather. :runaway::pompous:

.... Smilie icons consist solely of style - Graphic Design style.

I haven't seen any of your photos on TP and so can't offer any critique on craft or style.

I don't agree about dumping the Like button. Why? - Because it's a very usefully time-efficient way of telling someone you like or approve of their photo or comment without having to be subscribed to watching the thread. Instantly usable Like buttons must surely be especially helpful for those viewing TP on mobile devices (other than laptops).

I often use the Like button just to express that I agree with a comment. Don't most people do this?

Also, it's often enough to say you like something rather than write an essay about it or even to have analyse why you like something, especially a photo.

Last edited:
shouldn't that have been posted in the Nostalgia thread :)
Ah yes the good old days, I remember when ... :D

I haven't seen any of your photos on TP and so can't offer any critique on craft or style.
OUCH :D
I often use the Like button just to express that I agree with a comment. Don't most people do this?
Absolutely, and TBH I *think* that was the idea behind it.
But we are called "Talk photography" and looking at some stats that were posted (For our eyes only)
It appears "Talk" dropped off quite dramatically shortly after its inception :(
It may of course have been a coincidence ...

Then just change the forum name to "LikePhotography". SImples. :D

Painting.... (I won't swear on here and use the "A" word).

I suppose you could make giving a considered critique to one picture each day a condition of membership. Then you could set up a new site selling boiler plate critiques that most people would use. You guys could make a very healthy profit and eventually pay other people to run TP while you take pictures in glamorous foreign locations which you then post on critique threads...

:tumbleweed:

You guys could make a very healthy profit and eventually pay other people to run TP while you take pictures in glamorous foreign locations which you then post on critique threads...
Well we could, but where's the fun in that eh?

:p

Yeah, well you say that like that’s a bad thing :p

Yeah, well you say that like that’s a bad thing :p

.... Good reply!

I can't reply whether that's a bad thing or not... yet :D.

Generally speaking, aren't most of us curious about what the photography is like which is done by those TP members we have conversations with? - I ask this regardless of whether those conversations are full of agreement or disagreement. You and I tend to disagree about most things :D

Well, I think you have some stunning photos on your Flickr!

Well, I think you have some stunning photos on your Flickr!

.... I appreciate you saying so - Thank you very much. I enjoy trying my best and that's all any of us can do. Cheers!

Back