Rumor image of canon mirrorless! Now Officially Released!

Canon rumours have supposedly had a leak of the specs today, looks very promising.

Canon EOS M Specifications
The Canon EOS M that launches tomorrow will have the following*specifications. Beyond the camera, the system will launch with 2 lenses, the EF-M 22 f/2 STM & EF-M 18-55 IS. It will also launch with a new flash, the EX 90 and an EF lens adaptor.

18mp APS-C
DIGIC V
ISO 100-12800 (25,600 Expansion)
3″ Touchscreen 1.04million pixels
Phase & Contrast AF
Video Servo AF
1920×1080 Video 30p/25p/24p
1280×720 Video 60p/50p
MPEG-4, AVC/H.264
SD Card
Adaptor at launch for EF lenses
http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/07/canon-eos-m-specs/

If its totally accurate I don't see any of the mirrorless cameras currently around matching up to it's specification. It does seem to be aimed as a NEX alternative.

No VF and no articulated screen. I had a GF1 and I thought it was great until the lack of VF got to me and now I don't think I'd like to go back to a non VF model.

The rumour sites said that this wouldn't be a top end model and that a more upmarket model would/may follow depending upon market reaction. Maybe if the spec of this one doesn't tempt buyers and market reception is thought to be poor the upmarket model may not follow. That seems an odd way to view things... introduce a low spec camera, market reception isn't great so don't bring out a better spec model... I assume Canon marketing know what they're doing.

I think it'll sell though, if only because it's a Canon, and if it does something more tempting may follow.

If its totally accurate I don't see any of the mirrorless cameras currently around matching up to it's specification. It does seem to be aimed as a NEX alternative.

The Nex has an articulated screen and so far has a market leading sensor. It remains to be seen if canon can match Sony IQ.

Ahahaahaha...

canon_EOS-M_with_70-200mm.jpeg

Rediculous!

Assuming it'll be the usual $=£ ripoff, that's £800 for the entry-level camera...

Madness.

Look good and the adaptor is something im really liking...but at a price...
Ive a Oly EPL1 and if the price is right it will become a canon...but im goning to have to hold off and wait...

i spat coffee all over the desk when i saw the price, I WAS excited about this, but not at that price. Canon - its too expensive.

The EOS M will be available in the UK and Republic of Ireland from October 2012
EOS M + EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM: £769.99 / € 909.99 RRP incl. VAT.
EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2 STM + Lens Adapter £879.99 / € 1,049.99 RRP incl. VAT.
EOS M + EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM + EF-M 22mm f/2 STM £949.99 / € 1,129.99 RRP incl. VAT.
EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM £269.99/ € 320.99 RRP incl. VAT.
EF-M 22mm f/2 STM £229.99 / € 273.99 RRP incl. VAT.
Lens Adapter £129.99 / € 154.99 RRP incl. VAT.
Speedlite EX90. £119.99/€139.99 RRP incl. VATv

matty said:
i spat coffee all over the desk when i saw the price, I WAS excited about this, but not at that price. Canon - its too expensive.

I actually had a little dizzy spell!

the technology of the camera is the same as most of canons budget SLR line up, but more expensive

the technology of the camera is the same as most of canons budget SLR line up, but more expensive
And they've saved money not having a mirror system and pentaprism.... Less is more :D

And the stock is due november! Looks like I will have to look elsewhere for a spare camera for my october holiday.

Is it the 18-55mm you're waiting to November for, or the white body version? ;)

When compared to what other CSC systems are going for, I think it's about to be expected. They've started just undercutting the Nex 7, for the early adopter premium, and then I think it will come down nearer to the Nex 5 prices. And the if it takes off, they will come out with a more advanced camera, and a higher price. If people are paying thousands for CSCs then they are not going to leave that money for someone else. :shrug:

They will have to up their game a bit in design and features to get the top money though imho.

I think the thing that could be problem is saying it's a 650D in smaller body. The reply is, but the 650D is £x's, why is this more expensive, for visually, less? :shrug: :thinking:

Miniaturisation costs. ;)

The specs look good although I am still not convinced of the handling with large lenses given there is no grip.

The RRP is high but I suspect it wall fall into line with pricing for the Olympus EP-3 and Panasonic G5 once the initial demand abates and supply increases.

Such a shame they omitted the EVF in this model !

It looks like an interesting bit of kit, but I'm not too sure that it would be a better second camera than my S90, as it is a lot bigger even without a lens.

Certainly for travel I think paired with a pancake lens it would be great, but I think it's still quite pricey just for that!

I still think people are too obsessed with how "massive" and heavy a DSLR is. The trend is to get a camera that matches a DSLR in IQ and function but with less size but now they are moving to APS-C sensors the size with lens on is not really that much smaller.
Combined with the fact that the reduced size is achieved by the lack of a decent sized viewfinder and lack of dedicated well positioned buttons, which are compromises that cause the usability to suffer.

Give it 3 years and everyone will be back into DSLRs wondering what the hell they were thinking.

Ahahaahaha...

canon_EOS-M_with_70-200mm.jpeg

Rediculous!

Why is the ability to have L glass available on mirrorless ridiculous?

What other mirrorless body has access to a top of the range 70-200IS f2.8 lens with full functionality?

Assuming it'll be the usual $=£ ripoff, that's £800 for the entry-level camera...

Madness.

Agreed, the price is just silly, if the $769 price was honestly converted into GBP, it would be £495.

The sensor has AF-sensors embedded into the pixel grid in an irregular pattern that probably covers most of the image area. There are no definite focus points such as with a traditional DSLR if I understood the tech correctly.

And the phase detect AF on the imaging sensor is not as accurate as a separate PDAF sensor, instead the camera uses contrast-detection AF to fine tune the focus once it's roughly there with phase detect. Thus I also think there are no "cross type" points as we know them.

So expect it to be slower but more precise than an entry-level Canon AF.

matty said:

Crazy Canon pricing... no surprise really
From memory the 40mm pancake was expensive but think that may have come down a bit now?

Dave1 said:
Why is the ability to have L glass available on mirrorless ridiculous?

What other mirrorless body has access to a top of the range 70-200IS f2.8 lens with full functionality?

I know Nikon and Sony do, and I recall Olympus making an adapter for their 4/3rds lenses.

The body:lens size ratio is pretty funny looking though.

my GF2 cost less than £500, id not really want to pay more than that.../tight

Jeez...

If this is the cheapo model to test the market I wonder how much the up market model will cost?

small body but the lenses are not much smaller - kinda defeats the purpose of mirrorless.

no onboard flash either - not entirely sure of the point of these cameras are.

Madness.

Yep it's showing as £769.99 on amazon uk.

I'm just....wtf? The adapter to use other lenses is $199. It also has no in built flash and no in built EVF. The kit lens is looking similar to NEX in being oversized in comparison to the body.

I dunno...the whole system right now I am hating. We as consumers wanted competition. They've reinvented another mirrorless on another mount with nothing worth buying here.

Nothing can compete with the array of m43rd lenses and bodies right now as a combination, if it's smaller size yet good quality you are after.

If Canon introduced this at more like £400-£500 it may have had some appeal for the future, in that a mid spec choice could be released that was decent.

small body but the lenses are not much smaller - kinda defeats the purpose of mirrorless.

But it's not aimed at you or me is it.

It's new, it's different, it's got Canon written on it and they will market the legs off it pre-Xmas.

It's also much smaller and lighter than a comparable DSLR (and the target users don't use eye-level viewfinders even when they've got one) it's got great video features and (hopefully) an AF system that works better than the competition with moving subjects. I think they've gone for a larger sensor than 4/3rds because buyers want 'those blurry backgrounds' which you'll get more of, especially with the f/2 lens. The EF adapter mostly an irrelevance I think - a 'marketing' feature, and a sop to us lot.

EOS-M doesn't seem very revolutionary but I guess this is the best Canon can do with the technology right now, and they can't afford to let another Xmas go by. It'll sell loads, the street price will drop to whatever it needs to be, and the tech will surely get better. Nikon looks like they've pulled a bit of a neat flanker ATM, and they have phase-contrast detect AF on-sensor too. I expect Sony won't be far behind. The battle lines are drawn :D

This is APS-C so that will limit the amount by which the lenses can be reduced in size but I assume that at least some reduction could be possible due to the reduced mount to sensor distance.

Even with no reduction at all in lens size these cameras offer a significant size and weight reduction over even the more compact entry level APS-C DSLR's. You really need to hold the cameras in your hand to recognise the difference. Once you look at a camera body and several lenses the reduction in size and weight is even more apparent.

Assuming you can live with the compromises including fewer dials and buttons and controls based around menu systems and touch screens and possibly the lack of a VF these cameras offer real bulk and weight savings over an entry level DSLR. They also off other real advantages over DSLR's such as WYSIWYG and none of the front / back focus issues that seem to plague some cameras / lenses / people.

PS. I am a little surprised that people critisise the lack of on board flash as normally many people seem to say that on board flash is a waste of time and you really should use a speedlight :)

Last edited:
Agree with Alan :)eek:)

The issue is not size, it's weight. Given that none of these cameras with lens is truly pocketable (use a phone or compact for that) then chasing smaller size just for the sake of it is really missing the point. I've used quite few CSCs and the smaller ones are just a PITA to hold with fiddly controls and you press buttons accidentally with the palm of your thumb. Small is nice to carry, but bigger is much better for actually using.

I was using a Sony NEX-7 recently (one of the bigger CSCs) and with it sitting next to my 5D2 and 24-105 lens I was struck by the fact that it was half the size and one third of the weight, but for most folks, including me, the Sony would turn in equally good results - better results if you include the Sony's trick sweep-pano, HDR and twilight modes.

In what way is being able to stick a 70-200 lens on it an incentive to buy? If you have that lens with you then why wouldn't you have a "proper" camera to put it on.

I'm sure if it's got the same sensor as the 650D and can use the same lenses as dslr's the IQ will be very good, and if the screen is the same as the 650D then it will be very easy to use. As this is only the first model they've released and they have to start somewhere, I'm sure that 2 or 3 models down the line will be excellent for its intended purpose. If it's being launched as an entry level with it feeling a bit cheap then I think they will have to drop the price a fair bit to get the interest going in it. It wont replace my dslr's and I doubt it'll replace the wifes 650D either, but if the price drops enough it'll be good for a go anywhere camera.

Last edited:
You really neded to get off your high horse and move on Hoppy. You're not the forum police :nono:

That's kind of ironic, but it was a joke Alan. Sorry if it offended.

disappointed at the price which is ridiculously high but also rather disappointed that they seem to have completely ignored us legacy glass users, they had a great opportunity to release an fd adapter but guess they are not interested in that segment :(

I'd have thought Canon turning up last to the party would have come up with something better than that.

Back