RZ67 pro not working (Updated)

Name
john
Edit My Images
No
Hi

I have just purchased a second hand mamiya RZ 67 pro on ebay and was told it propably needed a new battery. Well i got a new battery this morning and found the camera will still not work. The only time the shutter will work is when it is set to the emergency orange dot setting.

Any one know anything about this please?

I tried the New battery in my Canon A1 and it works ok so the new battery is ok.

Red light shows when slide is in.

Orange Light shows in normal mode and you cannot fully depress button to fire. The only time it will fire is when the buton is turned to the emergency orange dot on front of switch shutter button.

Regards,

john

Last edited:
Which battery did you buy, is there any corrosion in the battery chamber, did you insert the battery the correct way round?

Hi John,

I know this is probably a silly question, but have you removed the dark slide ?

I'm not clued up on the workings of the RB/RZ67 (there are quite a few RZ shooters on this forum though, hopefully they'll be around soon).

All I can suggest is to have a look at the manual if you haven't - if you haven't used an MF SLR before, they often have tons of quirks and odd buttons!

I'm not clued up on the workings of the RB/RZ67 (there are quite a few RZ shooters on this forum though, hopefully they'll be around soon).

All I can suggest is to have a look at the manual if you haven't - if you haven't used an MF SLR before, they often have tons of quirks and odd buttons!

Thanks for your thoughts. I have the manual.

Orange Light shows in normal mode and you cannot fully depress button to fire. The only time it will fire is when the buton is turned to the emergency orange dot on front of switch shutter button.

Regards,

john

Last edited:
Hi

I have just purchased a second hand mamiya RZ 67 pro on ebay and was told it propably needed a new battery. Well i got a new battery this morning and found the camera will still not work. The only time the shutter will work is when it is set to the emergency orange dot setting.

Any one know anything about this please?

I tried the New battery in my Canon A1 and it works ok so the new battery is ok.

Regards,

john

Oh dear is this that most rare item, a loosely described ebay item? I hope for you it isn't and it comes down to operator training.

So, dear disappointed Mamiya owner, was it cheap? Are returns offered? Was the vendor the owner? Might he offer telephony support?

What position is the cocking lever in?
Upright or horizontal?

Presumably you are trying to fire the shutter with no film in the back??

If this is the case then the "dial' located just above the cocking lever on the RHS of the body ( as camera facing away from you) has to be set to M

Set to M, select shutter speed, cock shutter, remove darkslide and fire.

Remember the shutter is located in the lens so upon pressing the shutter release button the mirror will flip up with an audible clunk but the shutter will only make a faint click ...be aware if you set a slow speed like 4 seconds then the shutter needs to close before recocking it otherwise you could cause damage.....listen for the faint click as it closes.

The only time it will fire is when the buton is turned to the emergency orange dot on front of switch shutter button.

Regards,

john

iirc that setting will offer a fixed shutter speed (1/400).....can be helpful if battery failure whilst on a shoot providing available light and apertures allow the shot to work.

There are several features on the RZ that at times can make it a tad complicated if not used regularly...I have to have a recap before using mine.

Studying the manual thoroughly is without doubt a good idea.

On my RB67, without a film for test firing you have to set it for multiple exp...maybe the RZ67 is the same ?

On my RB67, without a film for test firing you have to set it for multiple exp...maybe the RZ67 is the same ?

Same as my Bronica.(y)

Same as my Bronica.(y)

It's easy to get mixed up with them all tbh, however I know the ETRS won't fire without a film ( or backing paper) loaded although I haven't tried setting to multiple exp.

The RZ67 will fire with or without film loaded (in M mode), indeed it doesn't even have to have a film back fitted for the shutter to fire.

cock the lever fully and it returns to top vertical position. the shutter button will not fully depress to take the image though.

If my understanding is correct, the shutter is not fully cocked in this case.
According to the manual, p19,
'if the cocking lever is not pressed forward as far as it will go it will return to it's original position when released, but the shutter will not be cocked. At such a time, the shutter will not operate and an orange warning light will illuminate in the viewfinder when the shutter button is pressed.'

Besides, the battery is obviously working or the illuminators wouldn't work.

Just guessing in the dark......when not using my RB lenses off camera I "uncock" them and they have to be re-cocked before mounting on the camera...so maybe it's possible to mount the RZ lens un-cocked on the body and it's causing the problem.....well OK it's scraping the barrel :)

Just guessing in the dark......when not using my RB lenses off camera I "uncock" them and they have to be re-cocked before mounting on the camera...so maybe it's possible to mount the RZ lens un-cocked on the body and it's causing the problem.....well OK it's scraping the barrel :)
Brian, what position is the cocking lever meant to be in for the RZ? The manual says horizontal for the RB.

Excuse the quality/ oof pics as rushed them through but try setting the camera as follows and tell us if the mirror clunks and the shutter fires.....if yes then we're heading somewhere

Push film advance lever fully forward to cock the shutter ...it will then return to a vertical position as in pic

Set the dial above the lever to M as seen in the pic ( sorry oof!)

Remove darkslide

dsc0344bn.jpg

Set a shutter speed for example 1/15

dsc0345uc.jpg

Set shutter release button as in pic

dsc0343bn.jpg

Press shutter release...does it fire??

That's interesting setting to "M" I assume it stands for "multiple exposure" on the RB it's on the film holder and you just move a lever to show a red dot.

Tbh I cannot recall exactly what the M is for without re reading the manual but be assured the camera will operate if all is set as I stated above assuming the camera is functioning correctly of course.

I had the camera to hand hence i had a play....the paperwork could be anywhere!!! lol

This is copied from the online manual. Please see below:

It is best to become
acquainted with the
method of releasing the
shutter before using film
in the camera.
Rotate the Release Button Collar
until the white dot on it is
aligned with the one immediately
below (on the Collar
Stop Lever).
Remove the Dark Slide.
Set the R-M Lever to the “M”
(multiple exposure) position.
Push the Cocking Lever all the
way down.

Press the Shutter Release Button.
The first 4 steps can be done in any
order. After you are thoroughly familiar
with the above steps, return the RM
Lever to its normal setting (the center
position).

Hi asha,

Done that but the button will not work in that position. Turn it to the orange dot and it works fine.

John

Mmm ok well don't give up hope, it's likely to be something fairly simple.

Remove the lens and film back.....cock the shutter, the mirror will drop to 45°

Fire the shutter release in M mode, the mirror should lift...does it?

Last edited:
It seems the problmem lies with the body, hence my reason to ask you to try without lens and back.

The mirror shopuld lift without any problem when the shutter release button is on either the white dot or the orange one.

If the mirror isn't lifting then there lies your problem.

It seems the problmem lies with the body, hence my reason to ask you to try without lens and back.

The mirror shopuld lift without any problem when the shutter release button is on either the white dot or the orange one.

If the mirror isn't lifting then there lies your problem.

Hi Asha, The mirror will not lift on the white dot but once turned to the orange dot it works!

Regards,

John

Last edited:
"M" position

OK I personally think there is an internal fault with the body as the mirror should lift in "M" mode regardless of white or orange dot setting.

If in the central "normal" mode, then will only fire at orange dot setting ( white dot setting gives an orange warning light in the viewer.

I've come across this info which may offer additional advice:

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00Y4H9?start=0

BTW I'm physically trying these settings on my own RZ atm so be assured they do work as I've stated.

OK I personally think there is an internal fault with the body as the mirror should lift in "M" mode regardless of white or orange dot setting.

If in the central "normal" mode, then will only fire at orange dot setting ( white dot setting gives an orange warning light in the viewer.

I've come across this info which may offer additional advice:

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00Y4H9?start=0

BTW I'm physically trying these settings on my own RZ atm so be assured they do work as I've stated.

Thank you Asha you are very kind for all your help. I will check out that link now.

Regards,

John

Tried central position too and it does the same as "M"

Will not work on white dot but once move to orange dot it works.

regards,

john

on white dot you should have orange warning light in viewer!

I'm really sorry we haven't been able to sort this for you.

Tbh I can't really suggest anything else to try.

It's probably looking at a repair unless there is something I've overlooked that somebody else can come up with.

Sincerely hope you get it sorted as the RZ is a smashing bit of kit albiet on the heavy side.

Do let us know how you go on.

Glad I didn't win that one...
(I've made bids on a few)

... hope the next one is okay for you.

No it's not working and it would cost £160 just to look at it! I have purchased another second hand one that works! So I'm out of pocket!

Who told you £160 just to look? It seems well over the top.

I'd give Miles Whitehead a call, http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk many of us on here have used him and been very happy with the service he provides and there are other recommendations I'm sure people can make if you ask for them.

But if it was it sold as working, can you not just send it back?

Last edited:
Back