Sad Day For Famous Car Fans

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I read today, the entire Nelson collection (Cars of the Stars) has been sold to a collector in Miami, who is opening up a museum there. Apparently he turned up in his private jet and the deal was done the same day. No idea how much for but we are safely talking many millions.

I'm glad I got a look at them when I had the chance :(

Thats a real shame. Theres some great stuff in the collection. Glad i got to look around it a few years ago now. Mind you, he has always said that 'everything has a price'. Im guessing someone found the sweet spot?

Me and the Mrs were in Keswick a few weeks back and found out the hard way it had gone 'stateside' :(

Saw it quite a few (16/17) years back so missed all the newer stuff in the collection. Oh well, trip to Miami it is then!

The again if you live in the USA

GREAT DAY FOR CAR FANS
the entire Nelson collection (Cars of the Stars) has been sold to a collector in Miami, who is opening up a museum there.

Awe well not gonna see them now, never bothered when we've in the area didn't know it if it was worth a look, seems it would have been.

Hopefully they'll get looked after a bit better in the US than in that ramshackle Keswick effort.

The reason there were all the 'No Photo' signs is so that no hard evidence of how crap the place was ever got out into the public domain.

Hopefully they'll get looked after a bit better in the US than in that ramshackle Keswick effort.

The reason there were all the 'No Photo' signs is so that no hard evidence of how crap the place was ever got out into the public domain.

LOL, my thoughts exactly!!

I had seen the signs a few times but never been. I was always a bit confused as to whether it would be any good or not because as others have said the place looked a bit ramshackle. Wasn't he supposed to have numerous original Bond cars including the Goldfinger DB???

Nevermind there is always the pencil museum!!!

I do remember being told at some point that he couldn't allow photography there from the public because he needed the money and it was a cash generator.

You can't get a DSLR out in the york railway museum for the same reason - in this case it's because they want to sell guide books. Saw some poor chap get really told off in there, he said he had done it before, they got annoyed with him and said that he shouldn't have, meanwhile behind them there were groups of people taking camera phone pictures.

You can't get a DSLR out in the york railway museum for the same reason - in this case it's because they want to sell guide books. Saw some poor chap get really told off in there, he said he had done it before, they got annoyed with him and said that he shouldn't have, meanwhile behind them there were groups of people taking camera phone pictures.

Really?!? I was there in November last year and spent the whole time with my D3 + 28-70 f/2.8 shooting everything in sight. No hassle whatsoever. In fact there were 4 of us, each with a large DSLR... Maybe they were intimidated by the mob! ;)

<Edited to add>
Just looked on the NRM website and found this:
Photography

All members of the public are very welcome to photograph the NRM’s collection as long as the photographs are for personal and non-commercial use. However, all photography intended for commercial use must be coordinated through our press office team.

Last edited:
oooh, now I wish that chap had known that, he was an older gentleman so I guess he was an easy target for that little Hitler.

Ditto with the NRM. Never had a problem in there...ever.

There IS one little schmuck that thinks he knows it all though. Once went into great detail with me about how the 'mechanical' transmission worked on Class 50's (back when 50033 was in the main hall, and not rotting away at Tyseley).

I let him waffle on for about 15 minutes before putting him straight in front of the assembled crowd. Theres every chance it was the same guy. Small person syndrome....

Really?!? I was there in November last year and spent the whole time with my D3 + 28-70 f/2.8 shooting everything in sight. No hassle whatsoever........

Same as: I've used the 1DIII all day there with no problems at all.
Glad you posted the quote from the NRM website though. If I ever get hassled by Mr Adolf I'll know how to respond methinks.

Back