Daily Sarah's 365 31st December 2013 - The End! (CAN'T BELIEVE I'VE ACTUALLY FINISHED!!)

It looks really dull on the book as well, totaly lost the vibrancy :( This is one of the first pictures I've really noticed it on :(

Just had a look round your 365, Sarah, and some lovely photos! I just love the icicles one, it really captures the cold we're putting up with at the moment! I agree with the others who said that the close crop works! (y)

I also love the cactus - really sharp and lovely detail in there and adding the water made all the difference.

I really like Spooky Avenue and the sky works for me - 'tree lighting' is interesting and not something I've seen before.

The Pie Men - what an appropriate sign! :D We watched an episode of Four In A Bed the other week and the B&B was based in Stamford....we're planning to visit there this Summer for a look round (or, whenever we next get a Summer!!).

I like the simple, clean look of Forks, very nice and I like the composition! It works well in B&W.

I like both blossom and Tulip, but of the two Tulip is definitely my favourite - very vibrant and colourful...........and it looks as though that mist got all over the place yesterday! :D

nice detailed natural shot

Oh yes, absolutely no processing or layers going on here ;)

Just had a look round your 365, Sarah, and some lovely photos! I just love the icicles one, it really captures the cold we're putting up with at the moment! I agree with the others who said that the close crop works! (y)

I also love the cactus - really sharp and lovely detail in there and adding the water made all the difference.

I really like Spooky Avenue and the sky works for me - 'tree lighting' is interesting and not something I've seen before.

The Pie Men - what an appropriate sign! :D We watched an episode of Four In A Bed the other week and the B&B was based in Stamford....we're planning to visit there this Summer for a look round (or, whenever we next get a Summer!!).

I like the simple, clean look of Forks, very nice and I like the composition! It works well in B&W.

I like both blossom and Tulip, but of the two Tulip is definitely my favourite - very vibrant and colourful...........and it looks as though that mist got all over the place yesterday! :D

Cheers Sam, you'll enjoy Stamford, it's such a pretty little market town with lots to see. Burghley House is just up the road and well worth a visit, there are some great little coffee shops & if you fancy a rather nice lunch, the garden room at the George is really good.

Thats amazing Sarah! Whats the EXIF? What Camera/Lens is this using?

Hi Jake, this is the Canon 5D MkIII with the 100mm f2.8 Macro on it (not the latest verison). ISO is set at 100, aperture is f16 and the shutter speed was .4 of a second. Shot in the conservatory with cloud cover so no hot spots on the petals & background is a sheet of green paper. Then I processed it a bit. Not too much, just added a layer & blurred the paper background & bought the flower back, then bit of detail extractor & a final run over in CS5 to eliminate any flaws in the petals.
Hope that helps.

Not at all Jake, as long as you take your time setting up the shot, making sure you get your focus spot on & your exposure as well, there is no reason you can't get this result. You will need to use a tripod & from memory the 40D has a live view function, which I always use to compose still life you could easily do this. The main thing with any still life or floral image is attention to detail. I had a shot put in a book produced by another website a few years ago that was taken on an old 300D with the 18-55 lens and it was tack sharp.
If you need any help or advice, just ask & I'll be happy to go through one with you as you take it.

Last edited:
Not at all Jake, as long as you take your time setting up the shot, making sure you get your focus spot on & your exposure as well, there is no reason you can't get this result. You will need to use a tripod & from memory the 40D has a live view function, which I always use to compose still life you could easily do this. The main thing with any still life or floral image is attention to detail.
If you need any help or advice, just ask & I'll be happy to go through one with you as you take it.

I'm gonna ask my Mum to treat herself to some flowers and give it a go. If I need any help I'll be sure to ask, although I can't see them coming out quite as well hopefully I can do something! :) I need a nice piece of paper to serve as a backdrop so I may have to visit hobby craft or something! Do you use manual mode for these shots, or aperture priority?

Go for it :) With the paper, just tape it to something at the top & then get a nice even curve & put some tape at the bottom to keep it's shape. Make sure there are no marks or creases in it (again, it's just the attention to detail bit).
I always work in manual for these, but set your apeture to get however much you want in focus, then you can set the shutter speed using the the meter in the camera, makes it so much easier :) Another tip is when using the live view, set the focus point to where you want the main focus to be, zoom in & then you can really get the focus spot on.
Then just keep trying, sometimes I get what I want first time, another time it may take shots and shots and shots until it's right.
I'm not very scientific about it all, I just play with the camera until I get it right :)

Go for it :) With the paper, just tape it to something at the top & then get a nice even curve & put some tape at the bottom to keep it's shape. Make sure there are no marks or creases in it (again, it's just the attention to detail bit).
I always work in manual for these, but set your apeture to get however much you want in focus, then you can set the shutter speed using the the meter in the camera, makes it so much easier :) Another tip is when using the live view, set the focus point to where you want the main focus to be, zoom in & then you can really get the focus spot on.
Then just keep trying, sometimes I get what I want first time, another time it may take shots and shots and shots until it's right.
I'm not very scientific about it all, I just play with the camera until I get it right :)

I don't tend to use manual mode very often, so maybe I'll give it a go! I'm not too clued up on metering my shots! I use live view quite often, as I find the AF isn't amazing! I usually use cloth as a backdrop, but with 2 cats, it gets fur on it too easily! Be prepared for lots of flower shots now! :LOL:
Out of interest, what camera did you use prior to the 5D3?

Jake, your camera is much better than mine is and I reckon I could give the flower shot a good go using the kit lens (if the glass wasn't smashed to bits!). You have a 50mm too don't you?

Absolutely love it, Sarah! Loving the background colour too.

I love everything about that Tulip shot ,

Thanks Vince, bit brighter than my usual stuff.

I don't tend to use manual mode very often, so maybe I'll give it a go! I'm not too clued up on metering my shots! I use live view quite often, as I find the AF isn't amazing! I usually use cloth as a backdrop, but with 2 cats, it gets fur on it too easily! Be prepared for lots of flower shots now! :LOL:
Out of interest, what camera did you use prior to the 5D3?

I've been through a few cameras now :) I started off with film, back in the dark ages, although never did any processing apart from at the school camera club.
As for digital, I started off with the 300D, with the kit 18-55 lens & I also had a couple of cheapy lenses from my old film canon. I then sold that on & got the 20D, which I loved. I was then just starting my sports photography business as with Andy racing his bike at the time & me taking shots I was getting a lot of enquiries, so set up the business with the IR & set up the website. I then progressed to the 40D, but unfortunately, mine was a Friday afternoon jobby & ended up going back a few times due to focus problems, so when it was sorted, I sold it on & took a deep breath & got a 1D MkIII, then I got a 5D MkII & last year the MkIII & sold on & collected new lenses when I could. All the time I was doing the cycle photography I was keeping the money back to buy equipment.

I've been through a few cameras now :) I started off with film, back in the dark ages, although never did any processing apart from at the school camera club.
As for digital, I started off with the 300D, with the kit 18-55 lens & I also had a couple of cheapy lenses from my old film canon. I then sold that on & got the 20D, which I loved. I was then just starting my sports photography business as with Andy racing his bike at the time & me taking shots I was getting a lot of enquiries, so set up the business with the IR & set up the website. I then progressed to the 40D, but unfortunately, mine was a Friday afternoon jobby & ended up going back a few times due to focus problems, so when it was sorted, I sold it on & took a deep breath & got a 1D MkIII, then I got a 5D MkII & last year the MkIII & sold on & collected new lenses when I could. All the time I was doing the cycle photography I was keeping the money back to buy equipment.

Film, now that is one thing I've never fancied!
Are you a photographer by trade these days?
It's a very expensive, yet addictive hobby! Hopefully I'll be able to afford an upgrade to full frame this year!

Jake, your camera is much better than mine is and I reckon I could give the flower shot a good go using the kit lens (if the glass wasn't smashed to bits!). You have a 50mm too don't you?

I do indeed have a 50mm Toni - I barely use it, it doesn't focus very close up to the subject, so I don't often use it! Especially on a crop sensor, it's quite a long lens for everyday shooting!

I use my 50mm as a general lens :p I use it to shoot everything! I can get quite close with it too.. although my 50mm is on its last legs haha. Deciding whether the 1.4 is worth the extra money. From what I've been read, it's not particularly!

Sorry for derailing Sarah!

I could never go back to film now, I think using it in the past and knowing what I can do with digital that I could never do with film. I do still have the film camera that hubby got me for my 21st though :)
Still do a bit of business photography now, I'm out tomorrow shooting interiors for a property for my boss & I'm going to be taking shots of a local golf club during the summer. I don't do much of the cycle sport now though as there are just too many people by the side of the road willing to give stuff away, some weekends you don't even cover your petrol :( Will do a couple though, just to keep my eye in :)

I could never go back to film now, I think using it in the past and knowing what I can do with digital that I could never do with film. I do still have the film camera that hubby got me for my 21st though :)
Still do a bit of business photography now, I'm out tomorrow shooting interiors for a property for my boss & I'm going to be taking shots of a local golf club during the summer. I don't do much of the cycle sport now though as there are just too many people by the side of the road willing to give stuff away, some weekends you don't even cover your petrol :( Will do a couple though, just to keep my eye in :)

It's always seemed like too much effort! It's partly why I never went to college to study photography, as they make you do film as well as digital!
I would like to make photography my work, it would be nice to have a job I can enjoy!
I'm hoping to head over to Castle Combe more often and take photos on these track days they do!

I use my 50mm as a general lens :p I use it to shoot everything! I can get quite close with it too.. although my 50mm is on its last legs haha. Deciding whether the 1.4 is worth the extra money. From what I've been read, it's not particularly!

Sorry for derailing Sarah!

No problem Toni, it's good to know what people are using & how they shoot, it's the best way of learning yourself :) As for the 50mm lens, I like using mine, especially for portraits.

I use mine for portraits! I just find with some things the kit lens will focus closer! I do love the DoF though! I don't do many portraits, so it doesn't come out of the bag often!

Cheers Sam, you'll enjoy Stamford, it's such a pretty little market town with lots to see. Burghley House is just up the road and well worth a visit, there are some great little coffee shops & if you fancy a rather nice lunch, the garden room at the George is really good.

Thanks for the tips, Sarah - I'll make a note of these! :)

I started out shooting film and it's been the best starting point for me. I started with fully manual cameras then I got a digital SLR and shot exclusively on aperture priority cause I got lazy... I switched back to manual on Christmas eve and my photos have benefited greatly from it :D I still shoot film now.. just never get round to getting the rolls developed. I can dev and print myself though (B&W - never tried colour) and used to have my spare bathroom set up as a dev room... it's been a long time since I've developed film though. It'll be like starting again :LOL:

Awww that is just beautiful :clap: Prefer it with this green background to the blue too.

Thanks Sarah, I'm really happy with this although it's taken a couple of hours to process. The green was too bright, so it's been taken down a few shades, brightened & then blurred to take out some of the paper grain. It was then a devils own job painting back through to the flowers :)

Ooh now that blossom is beautiful!! I'm glad you pisted! I love your still life images

Tho tulip is also gorgeous, lovely and bright and sharp

Well Sarah, go to say I know it's been far to long since I've called in but there's not a photo in here that I wouldn't have been proud to have taken so well done :clap: you're maintaining such an amazing level of quality :clap:

nice detailed natural (looking) shot

post amended accordingly... ;)

LOL, if it looked natural, then I've done what I intended to do :)

Well Sarah, go to say I know it's been far to long since I've called in but there's not a photo in here that I wouldn't have been proud to have taken so well done :clap: you're maintaining such an amazing level of quality :clap:

Thanks Matt, really appreciate you comments :)

Beautiful - love the cherry blossom. :clap:

Thanks Lynn :)

Some really superb images recently but for me, albeit a simple still life, the forks shot is the best of the lot.

Thanks Bob, I rather like that one as well. I've got another plan for them as well.

Sarah that cherry blossom shot is bloody great, composition is perfect

Thank you Vince :)

Like that alot Sarah and the speckled egg is cool!!

The fb comment made me chuckle lol!!

Back