Daily Sarah's 365 31st December 2013 - The End! (CAN'T BELIEVE I'VE ACTUALLY FINISHED!!)

Nice technical shot Sarah - bit of a "clinical" feel to it for me though - little surprised you desaturated the petals - what lens were you using and can I ask why F25 ? (as in no worries about it softening the image ?) :)

I found the processing info interesting too

Jim

Nice shot Sarah, and loving the explanation of the setup too (y)

Thank you Simon.

Nice technical shot Sarah - bit of a "clinical" feel to it for me though - little surprised you desaturated the petals - what lens were you using and can I ask why F25 ? (as in no worries about it softening the image ?) :)

I found the processing info interesting too

Jim

Thanks Jim, I do like very simplistic quite hyper real images, which I guess can come over as clinical, I sort of like the almost botanical illustration feel that it can give.
The lens used on this was a 100mm f2.8 macro & f25 gave front to back focus on the bottle & the whole flower, no problems with softening in the image.
As for the saturation in the yellow, I do find that some really bright flowers of a single colour can look too overblown in an image & in the original RAW file, the outer petals were the same colour as the centre, which they are not on the flower, so with the flowers next to the computer, I adjusted the colour saturation & balance to what I could see in the flower.
Hope that explains my thinking :)

Thanks Sarah! It's turned out really nicely!

Cheers Jake.

Lovely photo and I really like the use of the glass bottle which is quite an usual shape and size for this....works really well. :)

That really is very beautiful. detail and sharpness is excellent and it was good to see your write up too with set up etc(y)

Oh I like - very frosty looking and nice job of the processing (y)

I like this one! The icicles are amazing!

That's a cracker of a shot Sarah, well shot and processed perfectly :D

Excellent Sarah!

I do like that one Sarah - just the right amount of water movement for me :)

I like that Sarah! The close crop is great!

Thanks all, just glad a friend had spotted them yesterday morning as I'd got no idea what to shoot yesterday. Actually don't know what I'm going to shoot today either!!!!! I must make a list of things to shoot.

Nicely done Sarah! I tried to do a cactus shot not long ago, but couldn't get it to do what I wanted!

Thanks Jake, I was having that problem with this, all the shots looked rubbish until I sprayed the water on. There were dull patches and dust & it was getting frustrating. Thank god for the spray bottle!

Lovely - nice detail :)

Thanks Jim.

Outstanding shot Sarah , great detail and superb subject

Cheers Vince, bit of a filler as I had no idea what to shoot today, but pleased with how it's turned out.

Sarah, I love that! I agree with Sarah that the blue background is great; really sets it off!

Some gorgeous shots while Ive been away Sarah - love this last one :clap:

Some gorgeous shots while Ive been away Sarah - love this last one :clap:

I like the effect too! I don't like the yellow sky though! And as you said, it isn't overly sharp!

Ooooooo now I luurrrvvee that hun :)

I love the composition and the sky colour - not so keen on the tree lighting :)

Thanks all & proves we all like different things in an image, which is what I love about photography :)

Will try to catch up with everyone over this morning & the weekend, didn't manage to yesterday, but going on a shoot yesterday and then getting into work this morning whilst chomping down imigran tablets to get rid of a migraine (which isn't going!!) is a little wearing :(
Off to Stamford this afternoon for a catch up with an old friend, so just the compact with me to see what I can get. Will be busy, so probably a filler.

Last edited:
I like - also it's good to go out with folk and learn new techniques. I really miss the photo group we used to have here :(

Hop your migaine clears fast, my babiest girl gets them and if she doesn't manage to catch them early she is really rough for about 4 or 5 days :(

Last edited:
Oh yes now that I do like!! How are you feeling now did your migraine bugger off? I do hope so

15th March 2013

The Pie Men

Went to Stamford this afternoon for an afternoon with an old friend, lunch at the George, a little light shopping and afternoon coffee, very pleasant.
Just took my little compact so that could get my shot of the day & decided to have a go at a bit of street photography in the farmers market. Loved the sign on this stall, so decided to make this my photo of the day.
Oh, & I bought a wild beaver pie from them as the name made me giggle, it's not really beaver, it's steak and ale, but I thought Andy would laugh as well.

15th-March-2013 by Sarah Brooke, on Flickr

Back