Sarah's 52 for 2010 - Now continued in part 2

SarahLee

TPer Emerita
Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
No
(Part 2 of the thread here)

:wave: Hello, welcome and thank you for dropping in !!!
This is my themed 52 for 2010, and as this thread grows I hope you'll stay here a while, have a browse and maybe leave some comments.

But before we jump right in with the themed photos, just a few things that you might want to know :

About Me

A little bit about my photographic journey so far . . .

Christmas 2008 Santa brought me a bridge camera and Photoshop CS4. To start with, the camera was just used as a P&S and CS4 didn't even come out of its cellophane :(
Then last June, all of that changed.
I decided to start having a go at taking this photography lark a bit more seriously, I found this site and joined in with last year's 52. (starting with week 26)
Then for my birthday at the end of August I got my first DSLR . . . which I love :love:

I suppose the point of this is to bookmark where I am as at the start of 2010.
In summary, I'm still a baby in photography terms - 6 months experience and only 4 months with a DSLR . . .
. . . and I'm completely 100% a hobbyist. No professional aspirations, and no kidding myself that I'm good enough. This is purely about the pleasure of taking photographs and learning new things.

About my 52

I'm hardly a "52" veteran. I only started halfway through last year, but it was a great challenge. I learnt loads and it made me get the camera out in weeks when I probably wouldn't have bothered otherwise. And I have to mention the great bunch of people that were my fellow 52ers. Without their encouragement and support I may not have made it through to the end. And without their C&C I wouldn't have learnt half as much.

After such a positive and constructive experience I can't wait to do it all over again this year :clap:

I have 2 goals for this 52. To improve my photography and to improve my PP.
So I'm aiming to produce a mix of straight photographs and CS4 creations; to push my boundaries; and most importantly to learn loads more.

Rules

1) New images will be presented each week specifically for the theme, and only one shot will be selected as the entry for the week.
2) I may show other shots taken in the week but if I do I will explain why I selected the shot that I did.
3) I will share what I have learnt each week and how I might approach it differently next time (or if I had more time)
4) I will limit myself to 1 JOKER during the entire year, which will allow me to do anything of my choosing - even if it doesn't conform to the rules that I've set.
5) I will not look at any other 52 threads for a given week until I've completed my shot. *
6) I will provide honest and constructive C&C to my fellow 52ers, along with encouragement and support when it's needed.

* This will ensure that I think for myself and am not influenced by anyone else's shot.

The Shots

Link to each week's shot below :

(I really need to update this :LOL:)

(I can see this thread getting very long, so this should make it easier for me to find each week's image)

Last edited:
I had forgotten you only started with week 26 :) I bet it seemed like a year though :D Good intro Sarah! Splendid set of guidelines too! :D

Hi Sarah,

I look forward to following your 52 thread this year as I popped in and out last year looking at your work, I have also opted to take part this year so look forward to swapping comments and critique with you throughout 2010.

Good Luck

Andy

Week 1 of the new year and isn’t it amazing what time off work and a Friday night theme can do? I’m a whole week early!
This has actually worked out really well for me, because it means that next weekend I can start having a think about my personal challenge for 2010 :)

So here is my first shot of this year's 52 and the baseline to measure my improvement against over the course of the year. Quite a few curves in this one :

Week 1 : Curved
(Edited to Straighten)

Lessons Learnt

All about lighting for me this week.
So often with these still life type shots I have the idea; I have the props; and I put them together in an interesting way. Then I rush the shot and make do with whatever light’s available.
This week I took a little more time. I actually spent longer playing with the lighting and thinking about reflections than I did actually taking the shot. I think it’s paid off because I’ve ended up with something very close to what I’d envisaged.

The two that almost made it

And here are two of the shots that didn’t make it this week.
Please don’t feel that you have to comment on them, although you’re welcome to. This is more to assist with my learning than anything else.

Curved : alternate shot No.1

curved2-1.jpg

Although the closer angle had a bit more impact and the curves were more obvious, there were a few reasons for rejecting it.

- I just felt that the composition in the final shot was more balanced.
- As a focal point, the glace cherries were very smooth and shiny and they just looked a touch too soft to be the main focal point
- I really couldn’t be bothered cloning out all the little dust specks on the glass.

Curved : alternate shot No.2

curved3-1.jpg

A bit of a story behind this one. A curl is a curve right? And when we were babies, my mother kept a lock of each of our hair.
This one came close to making the 52. I really liked the colours, but when it came down to it I preferred the shot that I chose. I think that the softness on the rear corner of the cushion let this one down a bit and it was just lacking the “oomph factor” – which I tried to address with the border.

And now I'll have a look and see what the rest of the early birds have posted (y)

Last edited:
Hi Sarah, great intro to your 52 and great first two pics. I especially like the last one and like the story behind it. I wonder how it would look if it was a little darker and just a soft spotlight on the lock of hair.

Looking forward to the rest of your 52 (y)

Vicky.

Great start, Sarah. I love both the first ones and the curl of hair shot is decent too.

Hi Sarah, I like the composition of the first and the use of 2 glasses although it could do with a little straighten. How did you do the lighting?

The hair on the pillow looks like it should in a wedding thread :D

really like the composition but it seems to me to lack just a bit of punch
I can't yet put my finger on what though
perhaps it's a little soft? :shrug:

I do like the curl on the cushion - even more so after the story!

oh - and I like your rule #5
I've blown it this week - but I might add it to my set of rules if that's ok?

I've gotta be honest and say I prefer alternate shot number #2. Things I don't like about the chosen shot are the lighting is very flat, it looks OoF to my eyes, there are some odd red 'blobs' in the glass lying down, and the reflected lemon is completely disconnected. Sorry if that all sounds a bit negative, but it's just a collection of curves and I think you could have produced something truly stunning if you'd opted for the lock of hair and spent more time on that... a bit of texture in the fabric, limited DoF, just plain white/cream background with all the focus on the single curved lock. (y)

A good start to your new 52 Sarah, I honestly can't pick a favourite out of those three.

Best of luck for the year ahead.

Wow ! Sorry not very constructive, well both 1 & 2 work for me for different reasons - and all I can say is I’ve got a lot to learn - having been out of togging for a good few years.

I’d really like to hear about the lighting - when and if you have time.

I prefer #1 out of these Sarah, red and black is always a winning colour combination I think ;)

I think you made the right choice myself and can easily see this on the front of a very upmarket wine list in a Michelin Restaurant (y)

A really good start sarah, I like no 1 best, the red of cherries and yellow of the lemon in opposing corners works well, coupled with some lovely lighting. Look forward to seeing your coming week's efforts.

Hi Sarah,

I like the first shot. It's more elegant (there's reason for you!) and it has more curves. I like the lighting and the reflection, although the reflection of the lemon is a little distracting (pp'ing it out would spoil the shot though so ignore me). What did you stand the glasses on? Perspex?

Ian.

Superb shots, really quite envious. I will be having a go at the 52 this year and will try and post a pic later in the week. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the coming months.

A very classy looking shot, one that I'd have no clue how to achieve. Looking forward to more :)

Sarah, they are all very effective shots. I think I prefer #1 but as someone mentioned, the standing glass does not seem vertical. Maybe it is an optical illusion? Maybe rotating 1 degree to the right would do the trick?

I love the simple colours and the reflections.

Jenny

Hi Sarah, great intro to your 52 and great first two pics. I especially like the last one and like the story behind it. I wonder how it would look if it was a little darker and just a soft spotlight on the lock of hair.

Looking forward to the rest of your 52

Vicky.

Thanks Vicky.
I think you're alone in liking the alternate No.2, but I was quite please with it. It very nearly made it as my shot for the week.
Interesting idea with the soft spot - although I do kind of like the blue background and blue ribbon. Maybe something to try for a future week.

hi Sarah
Good luck in your 52er, I like no 2 I just think the composition is better.

Great start, Sarah. I love both the first ones and the curl of hair shot is decent too.

Thank you (y)

Hi Sarah, I like the composition of the first and the use of 2 glasses although it could do with a little straighten. How did you do the lighting?

The hair on the pillow looks like it should in a wedding thread :D

Shhhh. Don't mention wedding threads - we all know where they lead :muted: :LOL:
I thought that I'd got it pretty much straight, but now that you mention it, maybe it is still slightly off.

really like the composition but it seems to me to lack just a bit of punch
I can't yet put my finger on what though
perhaps it's a little soft? :shrug:

I do like the curl on the cushion - even more so after the story!

Thanks . . . Glad you like the curl - and the others do look a little softer here than they did when I edited them.
Seems to be a common theme with Photobucket though. I keep meaning to sign up to a different hosting site, but haven't quite got around to it.

Hi Sarah,

Like your shots, although I personally prefer alternate shot #1 - it's just something about the closer viewpoint that works for me.
Nice little set though :D

Thanks Nick. Personally I still prefer the shot that I chose, but there is something a bit more intimate about the closer shot so I see where you're coming from.

Nice shots! I like the 1st one the best! :)

Thank you!

I've gotta be honest and say I prefer alternate shot number #2. Things I don't like about the chosen shot are the lighting is very flat, it looks OoF to my eyes, there are some odd red 'blobs' in the glass lying down, and the reflected lemon is completely disconnected. Sorry if that all sounds a bit negative, but it's just a collection of curves and I think you could have produced something truly stunning if you'd opted for the lock of hair and spent more time on that... a bit of texture in the fabric, limited DoF, just plain white/cream background with all the focus on the single curved lock. (y)

No - not negative at all. All C&C is good and helps with the learning process :)
I actually thought that the lock of hair was a bit boring - but you've pointed out a fair bit of potential there. Maybe something to think about for future shots.

I prefer alternate shot no1 as well Sarah. :)

Nice idea though. ;)

:LOL: This seems to be a recurring theme. Glad you liked it even if it wasn't the one that I picked.

A good start to your new 52 Sarah, I honestly can't pick a favourite out of those three.

Best of luck for the year ahead.

Thanks for dropping in Mark.
I hope that the New Year's being good to you so far. It must be a strange sensation to have a weekend without a 52 thread to get done.

Hi Sarah, good work for the first week, if i have any criticism then it would have to be that the glasses seem to be going down hill, otherwise well executed and well lit. Good luck for the rest of your year.

Thank you. Hmmmm - hadn't noticed the slopey glasses, but now that you mention it I can see what you mean.
I promise that they were on a level surface though . . . must be something to do with the angle.

i like the exposure on the first one, nice and subtle.

Thank you Graham.

Wow ! Sorry not very constructive, well both 1 & 2 work for me for different reasons - and all I can say is I’ve got a lot to learn - having been out of togging for a good few years.

I’d really like to hear about the lighting - when and if you have time.

Thanks Kev.
I'm sure that you'll get back into the swing of things in no time.
My typing fingers are a bit worn out right now, but I'll post up the lighting details tomorrow night.

I prefer #1 out of these Sarah, red and black is always a winning colour combination I think ;)

Thanks Alby. I have to admit to loving the old black and red combo (y)
You'll probably see more of it at some point in this 52.

I agree with JD too ;) alternate shot is a much stronger composition.

Thank you. I'm still not convinced but I seem to be in the minority :)
Glad you liked the composition on that one even if it wasn't my final shot.

I think you made the right choice myself and can easily see this on the front of a very upmarket wine list in a Michelin Restaurant (y)

(y) Seems you and me are in a minority here, but glad that you like it.
Thank you for the wine list comment too !

A really good start sarah, I like no 1 best, the red of cherries and yellow of the lemon in opposing corners works well, coupled with some lovely lighting. Look forward to seeing your coming week's efforts.

Thank you.

Hi Sarah,

I like the first shot. It's more elegant (there's reason for you!) and it has more curves. I like the lighting and the reflection, although the reflection of the lemon is a little distracting (pp'ing it out would spoil the shot though so ignore me). What did you stand the glasses on? Perspex?

Ian.

Thanks Ian.
I'm a bit worn out with typing tonight, but a couple of you have asked so I'll share lighting and set up details tomorrow night.
Absolutely agree with you on the lemon reflection. I did try cloning it out, but it looked really odd so I left it in on the final version.

I have to say too it's a little off-level, for me I'd like to have see the lock maybe in a bit more closeup to contrast the hair with the cushion texture. No matter, this one is very nice too, not only fits the theme but the time of year too - a double whammy :D

Arthur

Last edited:
Superb shots, really quite envious. I will be having a go at the 52 this year and will try and post a pic later in the week. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the coming months.

Thanks Stephen.
Well done on joining the 52, I'm sure that you'll learn loads and I'll look out for your thread.

A very classy looking shot, one that I'd have no clue how to achieve. Looking forward to more :)

Thanks Davie. As I said above, I'll share the lighting and set up details tomorrow for anyone who's interested.

Sarah, they are all very effective shots. I think I prefer #1 but as someone mentioned, the standing glass does not seem vertical. Maybe it is an optical illusion? Maybe rotating 1 degree to the right would do the trick?

I love the simple colours and the reflections.

Jenny

Thank you Jenny.
I'll have a play with the angles tomorrow . . . I'd thought I'd lined it up properly with the ruler tool so it may just be the camera angle. Then again it could be that I didn't line it up properly at all :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thank you to everyone who's taken the time to comment. I'm off to bed now (work in the morning) but I'll look forward to visiting the rest of the new 52 threads tomorrow.

I do like the colours and i also like the reflections which really add to the mood of the pics.

I'm with you on the chosen shot, i think the lighting composition works better than the other two but they're good aswell. I'm trying to get my head round all the lighting techniques so look forward to seeing the rest of your work.

Rav

Hello Sarah,
your creativity side is truely visible in whatever you shoot-superb. I can't pick a favourite but, leaning towards No1 (excuse the pun). Instead of being portrait I wonder if it was squared off would add that extra WOW.

Looking forward to the rest of your 52 with anticipation.

Graham.
_______

Last edited:
Think I like the curl of hair best. I find the wobbly reflections in the first one a bit distracting .. probably just my eyes :)

I have to say too it's a little off-level, for me I'd like to have see the lock maybe in a bit more closeup to contrast the hair with the cushion texture. No matter, this one is very nice too, not only fits the theme but the time of year too - a double whammy :D

Arthur

Thanks Arthur.
I have reposted with a bit of a straighten (but please don't think that means you have to comment again! :LOL:)

I do like the colours and i also like the reflections which really add to the mood of the pics.

I'm with you on the chosen shot, i think the lighting composition works better than the other two but they're good aswell. I'm trying to get my head round all the lighting techniques so look forward to seeing the rest of your work.

Rav

Thanks Rav. Glad you agree with the one that I chose. I was starting to doubt my sanity there for a moment :D

Hello Sarah,
your creativity side is truely visible in whatever you shot-superb. I can't pick a favourite but, leaning towards No1 (excuse the pun). Instead of being portrait I wonder if it was squared off would add that extra WOW.

Looking forward to the rest of your 52 with anticipation.

Graham.
_______

Thanks Graham. Let's see if we get something equally inspiring for week 2. Interesting thought about the crop. I might give that a try.

Well done sarah:clap:. I like no: 1 best. Shame about the slight sloping effect, but its not too distracting.

Thank you!
Funny how you miss things like the slope when you look at it yourself for the first time.
That's what makes the 52 interesting though. Good to see other people's perspective and it can help you pick up things that you didn't notice yourself.

Think I like the curl of hair best. I find the wobbly reflections in the first one a bit distracting .. probably just my eyes :)

Thanks . . . and sorry if I made your eyes go funny ;)

Well you were all right. I thought I'd got it perfectly straight with the ruler tool, but looks like i messed it up :bonk:
It was very slightly out, so I've given it a bit of a straighten. Also re-hosted it on Pix.ie rather than Photobucket and I think it has come across a bit sharper.
Don't worry - I'm not expecting you to comment all over again :)

And for those of you that asked, this is how I set it up :

1) Black fabric draped over the foreground and as a backdrop.

2) Sheet of acetate over the foreground to give the reflection . . . and so that I didn't get juice all over the fabric :LOL:

3) Lit with 2 x desk lamps - one either side. I suspended some white tissue in front of each one to diffuse the light a bit. I also used some white card in front as a reflector and to help me control some of the unwanted reflections in the glasses.

(as you can see, it was very low tech!)

p.s. the Exif data should still be intact if you want to see the camera settings.

Sarah thanks for sharing that and I'm even more impressed - just goes to show what can be produced with some imagination and adaptability.

Hey Sarah *Wave*
I'm liking the sentiment behind the 3rd shot. But yet again your shots are amazing, I love your lighting/set up and backgrounds, just fab!!

Keep it up :D

Back