Screen Grabs, how ??

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
I've just been looking through tiler65,s tutorial which i thought was great, i've seen tutorials on here before with these "screen Grabs" so i was curious as how it's done, i'm guessing it's a program of some sort that copies your photoshop screen and then you display it on a forum like this, anyway could someone please point me in the right direction of how it's all done and what programs are available, many thanks in advance (y)

I press the "Print Screen" button on the keyboard and paste into Paint :D

Just pressing the "prt scr" key will work then paste into your image program.

To capture the whole screen press the 'Print Screen' on your keyboard. For individual windows make the window active and press "Alt + Print Screen".

These actions will copy the screen to your clipboard. Then you go into your picture software (Photoshop or even just MS Paint) and Paste the image in. Save as a JPEG and away you go...

All this assumes you are using windows...

Sorry but i'm not getting any of this, i'm crap at things like this, i've opened up photoshop and pressed on alt/ctr prtscn and then tried to paste it into a thread on here but nothing is happening it's not obviously what you mean, so could some please post an idiots guide :D

If you want to print what is currently on your screen or manipulate it press the prt scr, then open image program click new and then crtrl v and image will appear.

Use alt if you only want to print a window not entire desktop or screen.

Sorry but i'm not getting any of this, i'm crap at things like this, i've opened up photoshop and pressed on alt/ctr prtscn and then tried to paste it into a thread on here but nothing is happening it's not obviously what you mean, so could some please post an idiots guide :D

I doubt you can paste a screen dump straight into a thread. You'll need to save & host them in the same way you do to post your photo's and post them in the same way.

It has to be saved as an image file first so if you want a pic of photoshop then make it the selected window, hold the ALT key then press the Print Screen key. then while still in photoshop press CTRL and V to paste it in as a new image, then you can save it and upload to here in the normal way.

HTH

It has to be saved as an image file first so if you want a pic of photoshop then make it the selected window

Ok so how do you make it the selected window ?

No sorry not getting any of it, will have to shut it down as PC is starting to grow wings and my bedroom window is open :D

TG,

To do screen grabs try following this:-

For the wholescreen as you see it on the monitor, hit the print screen button.
For just the window that is at the front/active at the time, hit alt and print screen together.

This then makes the screen print essentially like a clip art that you have copied, and is "on your clipboard". To use it you need to paste it into the application you want to display it in, be that word, powerpiont, or Photoshop. Simply after doing the above, hit paste in the right application.

To show them on here you will need to open a new image in Photoshop and paste it in. then save it as a jpeg, and upload it to where you would normally upload your photo's for posting on this forum, and insert it into the post in the same way you would a photo.

Thats how I'd do it anyway, hope that helps.

Rob

TG,

For just the window that is at the front/active at the time, hit alt and print screen together.

This then makes the screen print essentially like a clip art that you have copied, and is "on your clipboard". To use it you need to paste it into the application you want to display it in, be that word, powerpiont, or Photoshop. Simply after doing the above, hit paste in the right application.

To show them on here you will need to open a new image in Photoshop and paste it in. then save it as a jpeg, and upload it to where you would normally upload your photo's for posting on this forum, and insert it into the post in the same way you would a photo.

Thats how I'd do it anyway, hope that helps.

Rob

I agree and thanks because it's saved me typing it:D

TG,

Ok this it what i am doing, photoshop CS3 is open the mouse cursor is in the middle of the screen, i press on prtscn key nothing seems to happen however i then go into elements 5 to paste it into there, nothing happening :shrug:

Ok this it what i am doing, photoshop CS3 is open the mouse cursor is in the middle of the screen, i press on prtscn key nothing seems to happen however i then go into elements 5 to paste it into there, nothing happining :shrug:

Have you tried pasting into word or powerpiont as well? Does that work?

I don't have elements handy to test out, I'll have to try when I get home.

Rob

Ok this it what i am doing, photoshop CS3 is open the mouse cursor is in the middle of the screen, i press on prtscn key nothing seems to happen however i then go into elements 5 to paste it into there, nothing happining :shrug:

When you press print screen you don't actually see anything happen, it just copies the image of your screen to the clipboard. When you go into elements, make sure you have created a new document to paste the image into. Nothing will happen if you just open the program and paste. I have just done a quick test and it definately works :)

Hi

I use a free utility called Zapgrab. this allows you to draw round the part of the screen you want and then you can paste it into a document.

Just search on google for it.

ok, press prtscn button, then open ms paint, then click edit. then select paste.
the screenshot should appear. now click file, followed by save as. enter a filename. the screenshot should now be a jpg file saved on your computer to edit as you would a photo.

ok, press prtscn button, then open ms paint, then click edit. then select paste.
the screenshot should appear. now click file, followed by save as. enter a filename. the screenshot should now be a jpg file saved on your computer to edit as you would a photo.

Ok got it doing it this way, many thanks for your help guys :clap:

Edit... just sussed it out in photoshop too, isn't technology great when you know how :LOL:

vista has some clever software if you search for snipping tool, its like a crop tool which creates a small file which can just be saved.

Sorry I have only just seen this thread.

I did mine with a piece of software called SnagIt, this enables you to capture anything even mouse pointer animations of your workflow (like a little video) dropdown lists only

a5de67f5.jpg

or mulple sections of the same group

578d8162.jpg

Print screen can't do the above.

I downloaded snagIt and completed my tutorial for OP question in 30 mins.

SnagIt is the one to go for. It will do screengrab anything you want it too and it is scalable so it always looks clear when resized.

hope this helps.

Like Tyler I use a program but use Printkey Pro, its a lot easier then using just windows screen button when you do a lot of tutorials . Plus it allows you to crop and/or resize and sharpen on the fly before saving it. :)

Back