Second hand price for Sigma 10-20mm - thoughts?

Name
Iain
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi - does anyone have any thoughts on how much I should look to pay for a used Sigma 10-20mm lens with a Nikon fit?

I have seen a couple of dealers advertising this lens for £299. However, I think if I shopped around I could get a new one for not much more money (although prices do seem to be going up).

TIA

Iain

According to camera price buster cheapest new is £359.99 - so £300 is a 16% saving, about average for lenses, they do keep their prices very well

Thanks - quite new to all this but I did think that might be the case. This will be the first time i've bought a second hand lens. Any advice as to the key things to look for/questions to ask with regards to potential damage or wear and tear?

I believe puddleduck has one posted in the For Sale. It's a Nikon fit.

If you find one for a good price which you don't want, I'm looking for one too!! (Nikon fit).

Would be jolly good of you to let me know if you do :)

:)

and ... ?!?!?!

Thanks - quite new to all this but I did think that might be the case. This will be the first time i've bought a second hand lens. Any advice as to the key things to look for/questions to ask with regards to potential damage or wear and tear?

If I was buying a Sigma 10-20 second hand I would really want to get to play with it before I purchased it to be honest. There are quite a few 'soft' versions around, and I would want to take a few test shots with it. If I wasn't able to get to use it before hand I would want full size photos taken very recently with the lens, preferably the good old shot of a brick wall from square-on in front of it, so you can check the edges for softness etc. As for more mechanical stuff I guess just checking the zoom and focus rings are nice and smooth and not stiff or griding and of course checking the front and back glass for scratches/marks.

If I was buying a Sigma 10-20 second hand I would really want to get to play with it before I purchased it to be honest. There are quite a few 'soft' versions around, and I would want to take a few test shots with it. If I wasn't able to get to use it before hand I would want full size photos taken very recently with the lens, preferably the good old shot of a brick wall from square-on in front of it, so you can check the edges for softness etc. As for more mechanical stuff I guess just checking the zoom and focus rings are nice and smooth and not stiff or griding and of course checking the front and back glass for scratches/marks.

This concerns me actually.
Hopefully somebody here will come up with one that I can trust, and see some sample shots.

Staying away from ebay with this one!

When I say soft, they have apparently passed Sigma QC so they are still usable lenses, but some do seem to be much sharper than others, and if I am buying a lens I really want to know I have got a good copy.

Saying that I bought mine from HK before I had really heard about this 'soft lens' thingy and luckily mine is ok, but I would probably be a little more wary now.

Also bare in mind due to the nature of the lens the edges aren't going to be pin sharp and it is all a matter of how much softness you can deal with I guess.

No go :(

Trade only :razz:

:D

I've never quite understood this. Obviously puddleduck's only hope of ever getting the lens this way is finding a very specific person that has the Tokina and no longer wants it, but does want the Sigma he's offering.

Surely Andy has a far greater chance of success of finding a cash buyer for his Sigma and then finding someone else looking to sell their Tokina.

I know it involves another step/party but it's helped by the fact that the Sigma does appears to sell for a few more quid than the Tokina.

I've never quite understood this. Obviously puddleduck's only hope of ever getting the lens this way is finding a very specific person that has the Tokina and no longer wants it, but does want the Sigma he's offering.

Surely Andy has a far greater chance of success of finding a cash buyer for his Sigma and then finding someone else looking to sell their Tokina.

I know it involves another step/party but it's helped by the fact that the Sigma does appears to sell for a few more quid than the Tokina.

Your last statement is very valid; however there are a couple of downside to this ..

a) he may end up selling it for cash, and then be stuck withtout a wide lens for a while. It's better to have a lens than no lens.

b) when you make an offer to sell, you're most likely going to be under-cut in price, and when you make an offer to buy, you'd be over-priced! Hence, he'd lose out big time. With a trade, he's more likely to lose out the least.

This concerns me actually.
Hopefully somebody here will come up with one that I can trust, and see some sample shots.

Staying away from ebay with this one!

Happy to take sample shots from mine - if you can find me a Tokina 12-24 for a decent price we could sort something...

I'd be happy to offer a 101% guarantee that its 101% fine.

But its still not for sale.. as Tokina 12-24 prices are going nuts.

i'd say around the 230-260 mark depending

and i've got one that's wicked sharp, not selling it though :)

Your last statement is very valid; however there are a couple of downside to this ..

a) he may end up selling it for cash, and then be stuck withtout a wide lens for a while. It's better to have a lens than no lens.

b) when you make an offer to sell, you're most likely going to be under-cut in price, and when you make an offer to buy, you'd be over-priced! Hence, he'd lose out big time. With a trade, he's more likely to lose out the least.

There you go, a good explanation.

Happy to take sample shots from mine - if you can find me a Tokina 12-24 for a decent price we could sort something...

I'd be happy to offer a 101% guarantee that its 101% fine.

But its still not for sale.. as Tokina 12-24 prices are going nuts.

Cheers mate.
If I find a Tok 12-24 for a good price, I'll be buying it :LOL:

All very good advice - I too PM'd Puddleduck, as he says, trade only (he's probably getting sick of people asking ;)). Definitely can't blame him, but worth a try :)

Thanks for all the advice around this, particularly the "soft lens" issue (Jimmy_Lemon)

Back